Thread: Nuova Simonelli oscar + Rocky grinder

Nuova Simonelli oscar + Rocky grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I live in Western Australia and I am looking at buying the Oscar with the Rocky grinder. To my knowledge there is only one retailer over here that sells this combination and his prices are the most expensive, these people also service the equipment and I was told that if I did not buy this from them they could not service it if it needed warranty work. My question is

1. Who is the official distributor of these products ?
    2. If I buy from a site sponser can I get warranty service over in Perth ?
    I would like to buy local but they are about $250 more and I was told that it was because they come from the Eastern States !!

I would like to get to get these in the next few weeks....any ideas ?

Re: Nuova Simonelli oscar + Rocky grinder

Funnily enough I am also looking at getting an Oscar in the next few weeks/month and am in Perth.

Have been scouring the net for prices as well, but it sounds like you are one step ahead.

In my searching I found an older post with the following

Hi!. *I have had a Simonelli Oscar for 3 years, and have been delighted with it. *And to my surprise, I found that there is an agent for them in Perth. I had the machine serviced by them about 6 months ago, when the water level probe needed adjusting and cleaning.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1241411382/9

I emailed the agent today to ask a few questions, but no response so far. May pick up the phone this week if I get a chance.

If any other CSers have some input I would love to hear it also :)

TC

Hello Perthites (aka pusca and woadl) and welcome ;)

Tonino Lamborghini Caffe are a CS sponsor and an CS authorised dealer for Sinonelli and you will certainly find that they have service arrangements in Perth.

Rather than supporting a far more expensive non CS outlet, why not at least have a chat to them?

The arrogance of the Perth mob in justifying a $250+ price premium would be enough to put me off ::)

CS sponsors provide excellent support and pricing to members. Its great when members support them in turn.

Quote Originally Posted by 223A343139550 link=1282642954/0#0 date=1282642954
    I would like to buy local but they are about $250 more and I was told that it was because they come from the Eastern States !!
    If I can offer some friendly advice here, DONT DO IT.

By all means buy from a sponsor, but DO NOT fall for the old "buy locally" routine

You have no idea how badly advised you can be until you deal with a company such as the one to whom youre referring.

While 2mcm used the word "arrogance" to describe the behavior, he could have used "ignorant" as easily.

EXAMPLE: when advising a customer to buy a Silvia: "as soon as the light comes ON, youre good to go"

Add the premium prices theyre attempting to charge to a complete and utter lack of real knowledge and you have a recipe for heartbreak.

Please believe me, woadl, when it comes to sponsors and coffee related gear, getting most product to Perth is only a matter of days ex civilization.

For that matter, it takes only slightly longer from the US of A.

In terms of the grinder you can get the Eureka Mignon locally at espresso italia (sponsor). Last I checked they do a 10% CS discount and throw in a $50 voucher.

Similar money to the Rocky, having used both, its better. Grind quality wise, quieter and so on. Rocky is still a top little unit either way. ;)

Thanks for your advice I now feel more confident about buying from another state and I will start checking out the sponsers. Is there any exrtas I should be looking at apart from the usual extras that would be good to go with the Oscar to make it perform better or is it good as it comes ?

If you buy from a place that also services machines, ask them to test & tune your machine for you (adjust pressurestat)..even if it costs an extra $40 or so. Its an easy job (usually) but theyll be able to do it much better than you can.

Not sure how easy it is to dial in a Mignon grinder..the rocky is pretty easy, but you could also ask them to do that, too, if youre not a DIY type person.

Other Required extras: metal tamper to fit your machine ($25-75), steel milk jug (500ml is good, $15-50), group head cleaning brush ($10), espresso machine detergent ($20)

And regular supply of fresh beans (only buy fresh roasted beans, enough for one week..after that they deteriorate in quality)

If its a steel or chrome machine, get a microfiber cloth (the type you clean sunglass lenses with) to keep it all shiny :D

You dont really need a knock box, or a milk thermometer.

And any snob will tell you ALWAYS buy local... BUT ONLY IF that local provider is knowledgeable, throroughly competent, honest and has your interests at heart!

(aaaaand offers a decent price :D)

Quote Originally Posted by 27223F3F272E39243E252F262A254B0 link=1282642954/3#3 date=1282651228
    If I can offer some friendly advice here, DONT DO IT.

By all means buy from a sponsor, but DO NOT fall for the old "buy locally" routine

You have no idea how badly advised you can be until you deal with a company such as the one to whom youre referring.

While 2mcm used the word "arrogance" to describe the behavior, he could have used "ignorant" as easily.

EXAMPLE: when advising a customer to buy a Silvia: "as soon as the light comes ON, youre good to go"

Add the premium prices theyre attempting to charge to a complete and utter lack of real knowledge and you have a recipe for heartbreak.

Please believe me, woadl, when it comes to sponsors and coffee related gear, getting most product to Perth is only a matter of days ex civilization.

For that matter, it takes only slightly longer from the US of A.
    Are you suggesting you know the supplier he is talking about or generalizing? There are a few people(3 come to mind) in Perth that sell them and one of them is a sponsor.

Of those I have been to I dont have a lot of confidence. One wants your $$$$ and the other is friendly and helpful but not overly passionate. I havent been to Tonino yet ;) so that narrows down the other two somewhat.

Oscars have been know to ship without very good calibration of the PStat. I havent had mine checked yet but I seem to manage good coffee all the same. Some suppliers bench test some dont but you would have to talk to each of them. It would give you comfort of mind and eliminate another variable but isnt the end of the road if it isnt done. I know I would have liked to know that mine was bench tested.

GL

Hi Justin, who are the 3 people in Perth that sell the Oscar ? I could only find One

Banned

In case you Perthions change your mind about the Oscar, come by our shop and have a look at what else is for sale :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 736B656068040 link=1282642954/8#8 date=1282715591
    Hi Justin, who are the 3 people in Perth that sell the Oscar ? I could only find One
    Hello woadl,

None of them are CS sponsors, so they get no freebie plugs ;)

Why not give the sponsors a crack first? They contribute to help Andy to keep this site which is obviously useful to you up and running...

2mcm

Hi 2mcm, sorry your right I will start making some phone calls early next week I think I have made up my mind where to buy it from and it will be a sponser. Thanks for all the advice offered on this site , next thing is to book into a Baristers class

Keep us updated on what you do woadl - I will be following down the same road as you in about 2 weeks time :)

Quote Originally Posted by 47787E796463524F627461680D0 link=1282642954/7#7 date=1282714056
    Are you suggesting you know the supplier he is talking about or generalizing? *There are a few people(3 come to mind) in Perth that sell them and one of them is a sponsor.

Of those I have been to I dont have a lot of confidence. *One wants your $$$$ and the other is friendly and helpful but not overly passionate. *I havent been to Tonino yet ;) so that narrows down the other two somewhat.

Oscars have been know to ship without very good calibration of the PStat. *I havent had mine checked yet but I seem to manage good coffee all the same. *Some suppliers bench test some dont but you would have to talk to each of them. *It would give you comfort of mind and eliminate another variable but isnt the end of the road if it isnt done. *I know I would have liked to know that mine was bench tested.

GL *
    Yes,

I do know which supplier to whom hes referring.

Im making absolutely no comment at all about the quality or otherwise of the Oscar.

In fact, an Oscar was to be my second choice if I had not taken delivery of a new Ponte Vecchio Lusso from Jack at Sorrentina just this past month.

The supplier in question uses the old "it costs an extra $250 for us to bring in the machine from the East" story (which, BTW, is patently untrue) to justify what is a blatant ripoff of Perth people.

While the story may have been partially true in the past, it is most certainly not true in 2010.

In fact, it is entirely possible to not only receive machines in Perth freight free AND delivered within a week from order, but to also receive expert and friendly advice from suppliers "over there"

If anyone wants to deal with a company whose floor staff are sometimes aged <20 and completely clueless WRT coffee and coffee machines and interested only in making a sale, any sale, so be it.

Which is why I prefaced my post with the words with "If I can offer some friendly advice"

Advice, that is, *based on years of experience and countless hours of research. *Particularly into the B/S which passes for "service" on the West Coast.

Hi all, well I made the phone call last week and ordered my combo on thursday from
    Coffee-A-Roma spoke to a realy helpful chap called Lawrence.
    I took delivery of them today all for the flat rate of $19 shipping !!. Great service, good price and a 1800 number for any advice or support that I need
    I must say so far a great company to deal with. Now to learn how to drive these babys !!

Hello all, well I have had my Oscar for about 3 months now and have taken a barista class at TAFE and have now mastered the machine. *If anyone is looking for a good machine without spending big dollars I can recommend this one hundred percent. *
    * * I would also like to say that dealing with Coffee-A-Roma has also been wonderful. *I developed a slight problem with the Oscar last week and one phone call to Lawrence, no questions asked and the new part was sent to me within the week. *A great company to deal with.