Thread: ECM Giotto Premium heating element relay gone POP!!!!

Flo

ECM Giotto Premium heating element relay gone POP!!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Sad to say, but the other day the heater element relay in my Giotto went bye byes.. :(

For those whove had experience with this failure, is it just the relay which has failed (as they sometimes do) or would it be something like the element shorting causing a spike which blew the relay?

Id hate to put in a new board only to have it blow again!!

Cheers.

Flo

A_M

Re: ECM Giotto Premium heating element relay gone POP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 143E3D520 link=1283428955/0#0 date=1283428955
    Sad to say, but the other day the heater element relay in my Giotto went bye byes.. *:(

For those whove had experience with this failure, is it just the relay which has failed (as they sometimes do) or would it be something like the element shorting causing a spike which blew the relay?

Id hate to put in a new board only to have it blow again!!

Cheers.

Flo *
    Yes and YES

Needs to be checked by a Electrical person who understand coffee machines etc.

PS. *Went bye byes.. is very descriptive *:D *Out like a light... Softly softly / with a bang / melted / jut not clicking etc etc.

Every type of fail, tells a story to a experienced person and hands on, is the only sure way to know.

Flo

PS. *Went bye byes.. is very descriptive *:D *Out like a light... Softly softly / with a bang / melted / jut not clicking etc etc.
    Well I thought most would understand the vernacular! * ;D

Suffice it to say that there is a not so small hole in the relay casing!!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6C46452A0 link=1283428955/2#2 date=1283429758
    Well I thought most would understand the vernacular! * ;D

Suffice it to say that there is a not so small hole in the relay casing!!
    OH... You mean some one let the smoke out *;D *That does it all the time...Never work again, that smoke is hard to catch *;)

My gut say just the relay... My experience say the confirm and check the element and the cct driving the relay.

IF the load goes short the relay contact usually melt / vaporise etc *If it is the coil that has failed... Then not usual for the element to be the cause. *However, as I said before... Lots of things to consider and hands on is always the best way to go...

As I am not 100% across the acual hardware your system has in action... Makes it even harder.

Pics usually help alot *;) *But again not the whole story.

Se ya closest sponsor..

Gday Flo.... :)

Just to add to what AM has said....

If youre likely to consult a licensed sparky instead of an espresso machine tech., ask them to rewire the relay such that it drives a slave Solid State Relay (SSR) to switch the actual heating element current. This simple mod will prevent any future occurrences of this type to the point where you will wear-out the Pressure-stat before youll ever have to touch the relay again.... 8-)

Mal.

Flo

Alas! No more smoke left in this one!

A_M

Now ya add even more info... Gicar... What else ya got hiding around teh corner ???

Many systems have stand alone relays and I was not even in the Gicar space.

I guess you took it out / un soldered as well ? How is the rest of the bits and pieces / the tracks on teh board ?

Most suppliers will rightly just say = NEW Gicar.

Would need to see and measure the Gicar and have close look at the *relay before making further comments.. Ie what is the pin out and the resistance values etc etc.

See a qualified person. Every time ya post you giving extra info that myself and others needed to know in post #1.

Due to the confined space and the casing a visual on this is worth little as heat internally can cause all sorts of issues before the case melts.

Have Repaired *more than a few Gicar units in my time... But as Boris and a few others understand... No hands on, NO touch. *Could be a $15 repair or $300

PS. So what was the boiler doing prior to all this... Low water / On a timer / middle of a run ? * *Sorry but I am now suss as to the actual context around this whole problem.

Over and out for me... See ya sponsor.

TC

Hi Flo,

Its time for a new board.

The Gicar board of the older Giottos has now been replaced by the Proelind board installed in the GPP. This board is more robust.

At the time of replacement, ask your service bloke to wire it as per current GPP spec. ECA will supply this to your repairer.

The bad news is that you will say goodbye to $300+ for the replacement. The good news is that you will have a far more robust machine.

Chris

Flo

Good news!

I sourced and installed a replacement relay for the Gicar board today and all is good in the Giotto world.. My Giotto lives!! *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I will at some stage retro fit the upgraded board though.. its just now there is no immediacy to do so..

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5E7477180 link=1283428955/8#8 date=1283531250
    Good news!

I sourced and installed a replacement relay for the Gicar board today and all is good in the Giotto world.. My Giotto lives!! *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I will at some stage retro fit the upgraded board though.. its just now there is no immediacy to do so..
    Great news...

Even better to know that coffee, comes before an upgrade...

How long have you had yours and how many great coffees VS the need for coffee Vs Upgrade at more than a few pennies.

Thus enjoy the moment, enjoy ya coffee - AND do it with an electrical safe machine :-)

Note: As things get old they do start to sag (just look in the mirror) so it is a fact of life and at some stage a lift (upgrade) may well be on teh cards..

Flo

Just a quick update.. the relay replacement seems to have done the trick and G has behaved beautifully since!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 0A20234C0 link=1283428955/10#10 date=1287648017
    Just a quick update.. the relay replacement seems to have done the trick and G has behaved beautifully since!

:)
    Good to hear mate. Happy brewing.... 8-) :D

Mal.

Flo

Thanks Mal!

Talking about doppio piccolos.. had a really nice one at Cuppacoffee this morning.. Nice one Dennis! *[smiley=thumbup.gif]