Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: Vibiemme Domobar Junior Owners

Vibiemme Domobar Junior Owners

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    All,
    Well upgradeitis is starting and I am actively working on the minister of finance, however she has some fairly strict "rules" and one of them relates to size.

I have been reading that some of the dimensions on the web are incorrect for this specific machine and I cant locate any drawings of it.
    Would someone that owns one of these please tell me the following:

Measurements
    - from back of machine to the front of drip tray (excl the handle)
    - from bench to top of machine
    - from back of drip tray to front of drip tray
    - width

Also, how is the handle attached to the drip tray? Can it be removed?

Cheers
    Geoff

JJJ

Re: Vibiemme Domobar Junior Owners

Just took some quick measurements for you right before my evening brew. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 63657E6D6A635B776B71706C040 link=1283854332/0#0 date=1283854332
    - from back of machine to the front of drip tray (excl the handle)
    398mm.
    With the handle its closer to 430mm, and then of course the group handle sticks out even further.

Quote Originally Posted by 63657E6D6A635B776B71706C040 link=1283854332/0#0 date=1283854332
    - from bench to top of machine
    410mm (thats to the top of the handles on the warming tray).

Bare in mind that youll need some room above the warming tray, both to store cups and to access the water tank.

- from back of drip tray to front of drip tray
    The drip tray itself is 170mm long.

- width
    230mm.

Also, how is the handle attached to the drip tray? Can it be removed?
    Its soldered on and cant be removed.

40cm(h)x 22.5cm(w)x 40.5cm(d). Drip tray handle is screwed on, *it looks like it could be removed easily, but you would have holes in the front. *Height includes handles of cup tray, but remember you need to be able to get to rear of top of Jnr to fill tank. *MoF is very happy with machine and coffee it produces.

thanks guys. My plan was to potentially remove the drip tray handle and replace with something more flush. We have a tight location depth wise and no other location to put the machine.

How much space do you need above the machine to remove the water tank cover ?
    Cheers
    Geoff

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 2D343335323F707E460 link=1283854332/2#2 date=1283855544
    Drip tray handle is screwed on
    Ah, so it is.
    Ive cleaned the drip tray out so many times so no doubt ive seen the screws but for some reason i always thought it was soldered on.

Quote Originally Posted by 21273C2F282119352933322E460 link=1283854332/3#3 date=1283857936
    My plan was to potentially remove the drip tray handle and replace with something more flush.
    You could do that, although itd no doubt take away from the aesthetics of what is a beautiful machine.

As i mentioned in my first post, the handle itself only sticks out about 3-3.5cm past the drip tray (and far less than the group handle does).

Quote Originally Posted by 21273C2F282119352933322E460 link=1283854332/3#3 date=1283857936
    How much space do you need above the machine to remove the water tank cover ?
    You only have to lift it a few inches to take it off but its more space to get in to fill the water tank that you need, unless of course you remove the tank each time to refill.

thanks for your quick replies.
    Filling the tank will be ok - the right hand end of where the machine will sit is open so will be able to fill it from there.
    I have 500mm from bench to underside of the cabinet so I think I will be ok.

Cheers
    Geoff

JJJ

Good luck with it all.
    Let us know how you go.

The only thing to know is that on the right hand side just in front of the water tank is something I was told to never get wet. I cant remember what it was, but it scared me enough to make sure Im careful filling it (you can see it as it sits just below the grate).

TC

Thats the pressurestat Quom. Pretty much all machines have them in a similar location and agreed that you could choose better places to pour water if you dont want to use the tank. ;)

2mcm

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 694D57555A41380 link=1283854332/7#7 date=1283939553
    The only thing to know is that on the right hand side just in front of the water tank is something I was told to never get wet. I cant remember what it was, but it scared me enough to make sure Im careful filling it (you can see it as it sits just below the grate).
    When i got my Domobar Jnr. i went out and bought a nice plastic jug with airtight fitted lid and a a long spout so i can pour my water in without any real fear of those elements getting wet.
    Mind you, i still put my spare hand over the pressurestat, just in case of any splashes. ;D

I am thinking of getting a VBM Domobar Jnr. How long does it take to warm up the machine before you can start making coffee?

Sal

SallyT,

Welcome to the club (if u do get the machine). I also just got my machine about a month back. I left it on a timer for the morning shot and took about 35-45 minutes to fully warmed up the E61 brew head.

On a side note, I am finding problem frothing milk for 2 cuppa using the 600ml pitcher but has no problem at all with either the 400ml pitcher or the 600ml for 1 cup. Has been very frustrated and went through lots of milk and websites / youtubes and even tried KKs mwethod but stil :(.....

So VBM owners, care to provide any advise / technique for frothing? thanks in advance..

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 40415A55140 link=1283854332/11#11 date=1284877064
    SallyT,

Welcome to the club (if u do get the machine). I also just got my machine about a month back. I left it on a timer for the morning shot and took about 35-45 minutes to fully warmed up the E61 brew head.

On a side note, I am finding problem frothing milk for 2 cuppa using the 600ml pitcher but has no problem at all with either the 400ml pitcher or the 600ml for 1 cup. Has been very frustrated and went through lots of milk and websites / youtubes and even tried KKs mwethod but stil * :(.....

So VBM owners, care to provide any advise / technique for frothing? thanks in advance..
    Hi Tuna,

A KK method wont work with the VBM wand. It will do a 600ml jug no problem, but not if you fight the machine, as the machine will win every time ;)

Dont tilt the jug and have an angle on the wand with tip just under the surface and off centre in the jug. I rest the back of the wand on the back of the jug to create the angle. Hit the steam and do nothing!

You will get a tumble rather than a whirlpool, but the result will be perfect microfoam.

Chris
    Portpiro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1F2A27201408242D2D2E2E4B0 link=1283854332/12#12 date=1284880456
    Dont tilt the jug and have an angle on the wand with tip just under the surface and off centre in the jug. I rest the back of the wand on the back of the jug to create the angle. Hit the steam and do nothing!

You will get a tumble rather than a whirlpool, but the result will be perfect microfoam.
    Yep, Ill echo that. My method is almost the same. Jug level, I start with the wand centralised and under the surface, hit the steam, slightly lower the wand to get the "sch, sch :-/" sound then move the jug so the wand is against the side of the jug. Shortly after "Presto" all done.

Steve.

I have to admit im still finding it difficult to get great microfoam from my vbm junior >:( Just trying to find the right balance - I tried KKs method just last week after having a look around.. it didnt work for me.
    Thanks for the tips above.. Ill give them a shot.

What is actually happening with your guys milk? too much froth? too hot?

Ive been enjoying consistently excellent microfoam lately :) It took me a while to get it perfect but now its just 2nd nature.

I use a 900ml jug, but only half fill it for one coffee. Doing milk for 2 coffees at a time has never worked very well (not with low fat milk, anyway).

A few key points:
    1. Quality of the milk is important, especially in low-fat varieties.
    2. Angle of the steam wand is important. Pull it away from the machine some distance, it seems to flow better that way.
    3. Jug shape makes a difference. If yours continually sucks, try a larger jug. I found a small (500ml) jug more difficult to use (it burns & froths much quicker)

KKs method didnt work for me very well.

I can get a good swirl going, but thats not the most important thing to aim for. Its important that the right amount of air is introduced to the milk though.

If your steam pressure is dropping below 0.5bar, thats too low and may indicate you need to adjust something.

On that note, what steam pressure is ideal? Obviously it starts higher, around 1bar, but then reduces slowly once i start steaming, to 0.5. By that time the boiler has kicked in and it stablises around 0.6.

Also, if your machine has warmed up for ages, say over an hour, steaming seems to be much more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B7F6079637E7F72100 link=1283854332/10#10 date=1284872863
    I am thinking of getting a VBM Domobar Jnr. How long does it take to warm up the machine before you can start making coffee?

Sal
    All espresso machines with lots of brass take about 35mins to get hot. Pressure builds up in as little as 10-15mins, but unless the brass is hot, the coffee will taste a bit watery.

Still if im in a hurry, a slightly watery coffee is better than nothing!
    Lucky for me my girlfriend gets up half an hour before I do :D

Quote Originally Posted by 273F3138382D540 link=1283854332/15#15 date=1284947715
    I use a 900ml jug, but only half fill it for one coffee.
    Are you sure thats correct? Thats a lot of milk for one coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by 273F3138382D540 link=1283854332/15#15 date=1284947715
    If your steam pressure is dropping below 0.5bar, thats too low and may indicate you need to adjust something.

On that note, what steam pressure is ideal?Obviously it starts higher, around 1bar, but then reduces slowly once i start steaming, to 0.5. By that time the boiler has kicked in and it stablises around 0.6.

Also, if your machine has warmed up for ages, say over an hour, steaming seems to be much more powerful.
    I have the most problems when the machine has only been on for about 30-40 minutes and I make two double ristretto bases then froth milk for two in a 600ml jug. The pressure drops to 0.5 bar and I get a thin result. When the machine has been on for ages it definitely has more steam power. I get around this by making one coffee base(double) and froth for one in a 350ml jug then start again for my second coffee.
    I get the best results with a 350-400ml jug using Chris technique (Talkcoffee).

My machine goes as high as 1.5bar then stabilises at 1.2bar and can drop to as low as 0.5bar if I make two doubles and froth back to back

Quote Originally Posted by 393E35353E2F2F5B0 link=1283854332/17#17 date=1284955312
    I use a 900ml jug, but only half fill it for one coffee.
    Are you sure thats correct? Thats a lot of milk for one coffee.

Youre talking double shots yeah?
    Ok so i dont measure up to the line of half way ( there is no line) but it fills a latte bowl or large takeaway cup. My point is that trying to steam milk for 2 coffees at once is a lot more difficult than for just one :)

Edit: just checked, my cups are 480ml (16oz). Ive also had 12oz cups and the same process worked for them. As long as youre not tying to steam 900ml at once like cafes do, then its all good!

Ps. If you think 16oz is a lot, starbucks have just introduced a new Trenta size....31oz!

Hello all. Thanks to Chris at Talk Coffee and the helpful posts on CS, Im a proud new owner of teh DBM Domobar Junior. Thanks to those of you that recommended Chris. His service, knowledge and responsiveness was fantastic. Suffice to say, I could not recommend him highly enough.

My journey to achieve the perfect espresso begins.....

The tip from Chris on milk frothing is a winner. My instinctive approach of swirling failed. So, armed with a 3 litre bottle of milk, I was set to practice the recommedned technique until I got it right. To my suprise, I got it right on go number 3 and am now producing lovely microfoam in both a 300ml and 600ml jug in no time.

Look forward to reading more of the tips on the VBM Junior.....

Cheers

Nat

Also, a picture of the set up (just waiting to set up the grinder, a K3T) - an instant hit in the kitchen!!!

Nice kit Nat! the VBM Junior is a beaut - Ive had mine for 1/2 a year now and couldnt be happier - having owned 3 previous machines (a Krups, Silvia and a Bezzera BZ07), if given the choice again, Id buy the VBM in a heartbeat. It may be the highest price of the four, but the performance outweighs the price differences BY FAR.

I bought mine (and the previous BZ07) from Talk Coffee too - when you go to Chris you cant go wrong, I reckon - comprehensive knowledge, top notch service and competitive prices, couldnt ask for more.

Enjoy your new toys, wishing you many god-shots! ;)

Re: What grinder with a VBM?

Oops my fault, sorry :P
    Back to the machine then, just one last question ... Did you ever consider the Expobar Minore III?
    I have come to the realization (rather my wife has) that one could research machines forever but at some stage you just have to jump in and test the water!

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1289207289/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

ahhh...thats tidier now. *Thanks 2mcm. *:)

Did you ever consider the Expobar Minore III?
    No - nothing even close to the $3000 price range crossed my mind.

Sounds like you are figuring out which machine to get. *Do a shortlist, make an appointment with a sponsor and put your hands on a couple.

To help you out (if it does) reasons of why I love my VBM (keep in mind tho, I have not played with a lot of other machines):
    - Temp stability is awesome. *Have seen some HX machines where water literally boil its way out of the group head. *Not all HX machines perform the same - some quite poorly I might add. *I make espressos with ease now - no cooling flushes, waiting for temperatures, etc.
    - Small footprint.
    - Blasts out steam - 99% of the time I make milky drinks
    - Design - at first I was not a huge fan of the way it looks, but now it has really grown on me! *I love how it is so tidy due to the simple, small body, but at the same time, the stainless steel when clean really flaunts!

The only downside if I had to be picky, is that it does not have the best finish. *Inside the drip tray you get the exposed rough edges from the mesh. *Most machines have the edges of the stainless body folded in, but with this little fella you get ends of plates, the plastic water tank has very rough edges on the top. *In summary it has all the rough edges cleaned up, but not hidden. *However, it is still a very solid, well put together machine. *I reckon this is only a small flaw in what is an outstanding machine. *

If I was returned all my money on it and asked to choose another machine, easy decision - just buy another VBM Junior. *;)

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. After reading threads and threads of posts, I went and visited Chris from Talk Coffee which was a great experience. I was originally interested in the Diadema perfetta, however, after discussing pros and cons of single boiler and hx machines along with my requirements, Ive decided to go with the VBM junior!

Chris mentioned that he can set up the machine to any temperature I want, and would suggest 94 deg. Is this a common temp that existing owners have the machine set to or any suggestions?

Cheers

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4D667E776275070 link=1283854332/26#26 date=1292817448
    Chris mentioned that he can set up the machine to any temperature I want, and would suggest 94 deg. Is this a common temp that existing owners have the machine set to or any suggestions?

Cheers
    Nuhuh Jayper,

The Domobar Junior is terrific pretty much straight out of the box- post bench test of course...

The dial in applies to single boiler rheostat controlled machines- Perfetta and Piccolo, which are supplied with Scace calibration. Once done, theyre both deadly shot machines when used for espresso...

Chris

Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone is able to post a photo of what steam wand angle they use? Having trouble getting sweetness out of my milk drinks.

Thanks!