Thread: Cool touch steam wand gets hot...

Cool touch steam wand gets hot...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I have a Expbar Minore 3 and after steaming enough milk for 2 milk drinks, the cool touch steam wand gets to hot to touch :-X. *Is this normal? I took the tip of to see what was going on, and I would have expected to find a o-ring between the teflon tube and the steam arm to stop the steam traveling back up the steam arm. *Should this be the case, or do they get too hot to touch after steaming for a while.

Re: Cool touch steam wand gets hot...

Hard to answer without being able to check the machine in the flesh but...as a general rule the "cool touch" thing is not as it seems and that is, yes they do get hot but not as hot (and not as quickly) as a normal steam pipe.

Hope that helps.

Regrz,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by 6346514E42270 link=1285238892/0#0 date=1285238892
    do they get too hot to touch after steaming for a while.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 615542544F78644841414242270 link=1285238892/1#1 date=1285239270
    yes they do get hot but not as hot (and not as quickly) as a normal steam pipe.
    Beat me to it.

I have an Expobar Leva and installed the cool touch wand.
    Its definitely cooler than the old one.

It does get hot but it gets hot from the milk heating it from the outside not from the steam heating it from the inside.

Thanks for the replys. *I guess the name is a bit deceiving ;) Thundergod, how do you find the Leva for Micro foam? *I find I can produce some average microfoam, however when I look at it closely, and pour it, it seems to be tiny visible bubbles, as apose to (what I guess micro foam is) really small, un-seeable bubbles. *When I compare what the barista at my local cafe in Cheltenham "Peaberrys" can do, mine does not compare.

I have tried KKs tip, that is keeping the tip in the midle of the jug and then moving to the side once I have stretched it as much as I need to, and that has produced the best I can do so far.

Do you have the 2 hole tip? *I find it very difficalt to get the whirlpool action going with the 2 hole tip (maybe something to do with the angle of the holes? *I used to own a Silvia with the one hole tip, and sometimes I had to slow the whirlpool down, or it spilled over the edge of the pitcher?

I have read that people have been getting good results, so I guess I will just keep practicing.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 6144534C40250 link=1285238892/3#3 date=1285282064
    (maybe something to do with the angle of the holes
    there is your answer.

Regards

Renzo

there is your answer

Is there a replacement tip that can added, or is it possible to whilpool with this tip with the right technique?

Quote Originally Posted by 4F6A7D626E0B0 link=1285238892/3#3 date=1285282064
    I have tried KKs tip, that is keeping the tip in the midle of the jug and then moving to the side once I have stretched it as much as I need to, and that has produced the best I can do so far.

Do you have the 2 hole tip?I find it very difficalt to get the whirlpool action going with the 2 hole tip (maybe something to do with the angle of the holes?I used to own a Silvia with the one hole tip, and sometimes I had to slow the whirlpool down, or it spilled over the edge of the pitcher?

I have read that people have been getting good results, so I guess I will just keep practicing.
    Practice is the key & a bit of trial & error to find the sweet spot of your machine

Especially with
    1] time the steam is doing its job
    2] depth of the steam wand is in the milk

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 1035223D31540 link=1285238892/3#3 date=1285282064
    Thundergod, how do you find the Leva for Micro foam?
    Good. Not as good as Di Bartolis 2 group Expobar but I had some latte art published in Bean Scene recently. Good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by 1035223D31540 link=1285238892/3#3 date=1285282064
    Do you have the 2 hole tip?I find it very difficalt to get the whirlpool action going with the 2 hole tip (maybe something to do with the angle of the holes?
    I have the 2 hole tip.
    I ended up with the cool touch wand because I was looking for a tip with different hole angles than the standard wand.
    Whirlpooling is easy.

Where are you located Davie?

Hi Thundergod, I am located in Cheltenham, South eastern suburbs of Melbourne. the steam comes out on quite an angle on my wand!

Quote Originally Posted by 0227302F23460 link=1285238892/8#8 date=1285296057
    Hi Thundergod, I am located in Cheltenham, South eastern suburbs of Melbourne. *the steam comes out on quite an angle on my wand!
    Take a photo and post it up

What you describe may be normal ?

KK

Will do. It probably is normal, however would it not be easier if the steam came out straight? It seems to me that if it is blowing out in 2 opposite directions, it would be fighting itself to create a good whirlpool.

Quote Originally Posted by 1C392E313D580 link=1285238892/10#10 date=1285296612
    however would it not be easier if the steam came out straight? *It seems to me that if it is blowing out in 2 opposite directions, it would be fighting itself to create a good whirlpool.
    The angle is directed towards the rounded corners of the jug
    Thus helping the whirlpool

With my method, when you have the tip touching the side it increases the whirlpool

KK

Actualy, that makes more sense when I think about directing the open angle of the jet towards the corner of the jug, and using the 2 jets to point in the direction to get the whirlpool. I was tinking the wrong way round :-? I was originaly thinking to have one of the jets pointing in the direction I was trying to get the whirlpool, and the other jet would then be sending steam in the other direction (if that makes sense). I will have a good play around on the weekend, and report back with my success - hopfully.

Ok. *Still no good :( I just can not get a good whirlpool going, and the foam I produce just seems to sit at the top of the milk, and is not incorporated with the milk.
    I have attached photos of the steam tip and the direction of the steam coming out. *Does anyone know of a replacement tip I could try? with less of an angle for the jets of steam to come out?

An update to everyone who may have been following this thread, or look to this in the future. *I changed the standard tip to a tip sold by Coffee parts: http://www.coffeeparts.com/accessories/steam-tips.html
    It is the 8mm male thread tip. *It has slightly smaller holes, and the steam angle is less than that of the standard tip.
    For me, I find this tip easier to get a whirlpool going, and is definateley more forgiving. I can produce much nicer microfoam than the standard tip.

Getting there - an attempted leaf yesterday!