Thread: Advice on choosing between Diadema Junior Plus SemiAuto or VBM Junior

Advice on choosing between Diadema Junior Plus SemiAuto or VBM Junior

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have narrowed my choices to these two. Mostly lattes with the occasional espresso and previously had a Saeco Royal Professional super automatic which lasted 10yrs. After much reading here, have decided to get a "manual" coffee machine. This means getting a grinder too. However, apartment bench space is limited. The question is whether to get the machine which cost less and putting the savings into a "better" grinder. Looking at a Mazzer mini here. Any advice much appreciated. In south sydney.

Re: Advice on choosing between Diadema Junior Plus SemiAuto or VBM Junior

Hi Chooi,

You are definitely in the right place with these machines. I personally really like the VBMs, but maybe you should also Consider the Macap M4d grinder too - bit cheaper than the Mazzer E but similar quality.

Last, but definitely not least, you need to visit Dennis at Cuppacoffee in Sylvania (sponsor here) to have a look at the machines on his bench and see what you like from there.

Cheers, and have fun shopping :)

Site Sponsor

Both machines are pretty good, sugestion is drop over our shop and get a free demo.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista

Caffeine Junky

I was in your exact situation 8 months ago and ended up going for the VBM Jr. I liked the compact size of it and what eventually sold me was that it had a little more grunt than the Diadema (according the sponsor who sold it to me).

I have no doubt, had I gone the other way I would be just as happy as I am now with Jr. I already owned a grinder and wasnt too fussed about the price difference.

For the record I am using it with a Anfim Best chrome doser grinder. I think there are better grinders to go for in this price range but liked the bling factor of this one.

Yes, I agree VBM Jr is more compact. However, I do like the functional look of the Diadema Plus Jr :). I wonder which machine takes less time to warm up. Have PMed Jetblack Expresso and Talk Coffee.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7A69757074190 link=1294861152/4#4 date=1294935437
    I wonder which machine takes less time to warm up.
    Same same cHooWii,

All home espresso machine require a good 30 min. Commercials often require even more. My Faema needs at least an hour.

Chris

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 50435F5A5E330 link=1294861152/4#4 date=1294935437
    I do like the functional look of the Diadema
    Thats probably a good enough reason to go for it then. Both are well built and performing machines that, with proper maintenance, should give you many years of fine espresso.

What is more important is to buy from a reputable seller who will provide you with a bench tested & tuned machine and after sales support, not just a box.

I went into Talk Coffee yesterday with a good friend of mine to see Chris, and now I have these two machines on my mind. I think in the end, I am going to spend that teensy bit extra and decide on buying the VBM. Although the stance of the Diadema alone keeps me thinking about going in that direction.

Luckily I am still on holidays, so these sleepless nights thinking about what to buy wont affect work :P

Dropped in to Jetblack Espresso to have a look on Friday. *Ended up getting the VBM Jr and Macap M4 *:).

VBM Jr and Macap M4 are solid/heavy machines but both have small footprints. *Spent weekend playing *:)

Great buy and enjoy. I am so happy with my VBM junior! I just turn it on first thing as I get up. By the time I am ready to make coffee, its at perfect temparature.

Same here. When not at work I tend to leave on whole day. *Wonder whether thats ok... Getting my grind just right but microfoam still a challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by 44574B4E4A270 link=1294861152/10#10 date=1295925627
    Same here. When not at work I tend to leave on whole day. *Wonder whether thats ok... Getting my grind just right but microfoam still a challenge!
    No, its NOT OK.... :(

You have to remember, you are dealing with a machine designed and intended for home use, not commercial use. Even then, the greater percentage of commercial operators will switch off their machines at the end of a day.

All you are going to achieve by doing this, is to accelerate the wear and tear cycle of the machine. You will be up for parts replacements, services, etc far more frequently than if you just used the machine as it is intended. After all, most so-called prosumer machines are ready to use within 1/2-an-hour after switch on. Thats not too onerous, surely.... :-?

Mal.