Thread: VBM Domobar Jnr HELP!!

VBM Domobar Jnr HELP!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I recently had some problems with my Jnr. Took it in to ECA for service. Diagnosed as a pressurestat problem, also as a side issue had a faulty switch on the lever. They were great - they changed both of them and I got my machine back after 2-3 days.

Now as soon as I got home and switched it on its behaving very strangely. It makes a continuous noise like its pulling a shot as soon as you turn it on and the grouphead gauge goes up to 10 bar - The machine sounds like its pulling a shot even at rest with the lever down.

I will obviously get in touch with ECA on Monday morning when they re open. I just wanted to know if its something simple I may be able to fix between now and then. I dont want to turn it on again, just in case I do more damage.

Site Sponsor

Re: VBM Domobar Jnr HELP!!

you could check whether the lever is depressing the microswitch while the lever is down - it should only depress it when up,

charlie

Thanks Charlie, I thought of that too. But there is a fair size gap between the lever and the microswitch while the lever is down.

Everytime I turned it on, the group gauge was bouncing around the 10bar mark, almost as if I had put the portafilter in with blind fliter. Then when you lift the lever it drops pressure and the machine goes quiet and no water comes out of the group.

Site Sponsor

crazy. Sounds like the microswitch is working in reverse - on when it should be off and off when it should be on. The lever position explains the rest - lever down will cause the pressure to build in the HX circuit which is what yourre seeing on the gauge. Lever up and HX circuit drains through the group head and the pressure drops.

I thought that. Is it possible the lever switch was accidentally installed backwards or wired incorrectly or faulty or something?

The switch was fixed as an afterthought, after I mentioned it just before I was due to pick it up, so maybe it wasnt bench tested after the switch change coz they had already benchtested it after the pressurestat was changed.

Site Sponsor

well whatever it is, it will need to go back ...

TC

Normally, the should pump activates on a press of the microswitch, it just needs to be reset and this should be a pretty quick job.

If the machine is out of warranty, disconnect it from the mains, then just remove the cover and release tension on the front lock nut then take it up on the rear one. You want just enough contact of the cam on the microswitch to activate it when the lever is raised. there should be a gap in the lowered position.

If there is a gap and the pump is running with the lever lowered, all is not right. Take it back and get it looked at.

It may also be possible that the Lever Switch has been inadvertently wired to the wrong switch contacts - Normally Closed instead of Normally Open...

As with the other guys above, you should take it back for them to rectify if Chris fix doesnt do the job.... ;)

Mal.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4F62666A670B0 link=1311927941/7#7 date=1311943624
    It may also be possible that the Lever Switch has been inadvertently wired to the wrong switch contacts - Normally Closed instead of Normally Open...

As with the other guys above, you should take it back for them to rectify if Chris fix doesnt do the job.... ;)

Mal.
    Correct you are Mal.

I cannot imagine why a disconnection at the microswitch should have occured in the service described, but who knows. Sillier things have happened! ::)

Hi Chris and Mal, thanks for your input.

Chris, there is already a gap in the lever with the lever down so I dont think thats the problem.

I am hoping Mal is right and the Lever switch/microswitch has been wired incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 695C5156627E525B5B58583D0 link=1311927941/8#8 date=1311944787
    I cannot imagine why a disconnection at the microswitch should have occured in the service described
    I had a faulty/sticking microswitch for a while now, so they changed the switch to a new one. I am hoping its a simple re wiring of the contacts on the microswitch. I will take it back when they re open on Monday and keep you posted.

Meanwhile back to my Aeropress.... :-[

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 383F34343F2E2E5A0 link=1311927941/9#9 date=1311972829
    I had a faulty/sticking microswitch for a while now, so they changed the switch to a new one. I am hoping its a simple re wiring of the contacts on the microswitch. I will take it back when they re open on Monday and keep you posted.

Meanwhile back to my Aeropress....
    That will be it then bennett. Almost certainly reversed connections. Ho hum. Aeropress rocks though ;)

Ok, I took it back today and as expected the switch needed the wiring reversed. Took all of 2 minutes now its fine again. Thanks to Charlie, Mal and Chris for your input.

Another question. I always suspected I had a slightly hot running machine. My pressure gauge would cut in at 1.1bar and cutout at 1.5bar. I never fiddled with the pressurestat. I just ran cooling flushes.

Now with the new pressurestat my machine cuts in at 0.9bar and cuts out at 1.2bar which I suspect is the recommended setting.

Is this too low or just right? Will I get less steam and brew pressure as a result. When I put the blind filter in, the brew head gauge still maxes out at 10bar. Will my coffee potentially taste better? As I said I always suspected I had a hot running machine. Any thoughts...

Hi B, mine is very similar. in @ 1.0, out @ about 1.2-1.25. I can steam enough milk for 2 large cafe lattes and the boiler will drop to .5 bar, still steaming along ok but it drops down to that level. Recovers before I am ready to go again. Try it and see how it goes, you only need to lift the top cover off to access the adjustment. No danger in doing that.

Steve

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2E0C0D0C630 link=1311927941/12#12 date=1312175955
    Hi B, mine is very similar. in @ 1.0, out @ about 1.2-1.25. I can steam enough milk for 2 large cafe lattes and the boiler will drop to .5 bar, still steaming along ok but it drops down to that level. Recovers before I am ready to go again. Try it and see how it goes, you only need to lift the top cover off to access the adjustment. No danger in doing that.

Steve
    It can depend on whether the machine runs the old Mater or current Jaeger pressurestat Steve.

Cheers

Chris

From memory I believe mine still to be the Mater. I think it was replaced 6 months or so ago. Does the adjustment no longer correspond with the hole in the top plate if you have the Jaegar PS* :-/

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 63565B5C68745851515252370 link=1311927941/13#13 date=1312176249
    It can depend on whether the machine runs the old Mater or current Jaeger pressurestat Steve.
    Hi Chris, mine was an old Mater and they replaced it with a current Jaeger pressurestat. Can it still be adjusted? I see a red adjuster knob on top of it which looks like it can be adjusted.

I havent made a coffee yet, so I cant speculate. Im just used to seeing the gauge between 1.2-15 instead of 1.0-1.2.

Im not really keen to play around with it unless I have to.

TC

1.5 is too high bennett,

Your machine is correctly set 8-)

Thanks Chris. :)