Thread: NS Musica Mods?

KJM

NS Musica Mods?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Quote Originally Posted by 6B73617A7B7C7E73667B74120 link=1312072604/16#16 date=1312340165
    Anyone heard of any good Musica mods?
    Yes ;) I found them while looking for some things to do to an NS Oscar!
    http://www.home-barista.com/tips/pid...ts-t14925.html is the one Id offer.

/Kevin

Re: NS Musica Mods?

PID on a HX machine... not worth the hassle.

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 04203A2A2128490 link=1312072604/19#19 date=1312368586
    PID on a HX machine... not worth the hassle
    Technically - there is a PID, but it isnt used as a PID... The mod is basically a temperature readout for the grouphead. Ill be doing the same to my Oscar - it is simply the cheapest way of doing it!

/Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 4041460B0 link=1312072604/20#20 date=1312374675
    Technically - there is a PID, but it isnt used as a PID... The mod is basically a temperature readout for the grouphead. Ill be doing the same to my Oscar - it is simply the cheapest way of doing it!

/Kevin
    Hey thats exactly what Ive been wanting to do.. will have to have a read :)

[movedhere] Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000) [move by] Mal.

Okay Musica Modders Club, two questions:-

Has anyone replaced the steam tip from four to two hole one and, if so, can I buy just any tip from a Sponsor and it will fit, or was it necessary to have a specific size?

The longer I go on, the less in love I am with the four hole tip and the more I want to go back to just two. I just feel as though the four holes dissipate the steam a bit two much and, whilst I dont have any problems stretching the milk, I find it takes longer to stretch it, and this is using Norco Milk, so I know its not the milk quality.

Alternatively, maybe the steam on my machine is a bit gutless? It seems to have dropped a bit since I first got the machine (maybe after it had run in) amd now takes me longer to get the milk up to 65 degrees. This *may* just be conjecture, though, because I havent timed it lately. Would adjusting the PressureStat give me more steam pressure? I dont even know where the PressureStat is (geez, have I even got the terminology right???) but Id do some research before I did so - I think it was mentioned in the other Musica thread.

Cheers
    Di

Di, thats strange the steam on my machine is really good, and the 4 hole tip make life very easy for me. Perhaps your pressure is low?? My pressure cycles between 1.2 and 1.4 (it used to cycle between 1.25 and 1.45 before and turned it down via the pressurestat behind the trip tray).

This machine is really growing on me :)

Thanks Stan, I might up the pressure a bit and see if that works - if youve got anyy tips, please feel free to share them! I had a look behind the drip tray this morning before I started the machine up, and Im guessing its behind the keyhole shaped hole? It could possibly be the problem - because I (indirectly) got it straight from Nuova Simonelli, Id guess that there was no calibration at all, whereas Chris at Talk Coffee kindly calibrated my Maver prior to sending it to me.

It could also be that when I first got it, the steam was great so maybe now that Im used to it, it *appears* to be taking longer and Im just being impatient. I should time it, and that will give me a guage because I timed it back at the beginning when I posted in the earlier thread.

Still absolutely the machine, though and wouldnt swap it for the world.

Cheers
    Di

Ah, okay, its amazing what you learn when youre wearing your reading glasses and paying attention!

My Musica is sitting at around the 1.25 when idle and drops to about 0.9 when Im steaming (woe betide if I start steaming while Im still pulling a shot - it drops down to about 1.7!!!), so I do think I need to bump it up a bit. I need a heating flush, not a cooling flush!!! :)

Commence fiddling - wish me luck!

Hi Di,

My Musica also registers a sharp drop in boiler pressure once the steam is activated (say 0.2 -0.4 bar... or maybe more, cant remember).* I havent taken much notice - I wonder if most prosumer HX machines are the same??* I guess if you kept steaming your pressure would reach and equilibrium point. If that point is lower than when your not steaming, then steaming should have a cooling effect on your shots temperature profile.* How much of an effect would depend on the machine (thermal mass of you group head etc..)* Would be good to know how the Musica fares in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D5A4C5E46350 link=1312359965/8#8 date=1313882400
    Ah, okay, its amazing what you learn when youre wearing your reading glasses and paying attention!

My Musica is sitting at around the 1.25 when idle and drops to about 0.9 when Im steaming
    My machine does the same thing, and its probably what its meant to be doing.

Although we have different machines, mine also reads 1.25PSI on boiler pressure when its idling and drops down to 0.9 when the steam wand is opened.

For me it makes sense because 1.25 represents the pressure in a closed system. I would expect it to drop as soon as the steam wand is opened - as long as theres a pressure reading of greater than 0, there will be steam pressure to do the milk. It jumps back to 1.25 pretty quickly once Im finished with the steam wand.

Mine drops as well. But I havent noticed any adverse effects on steaming time. Also I steam whilst a shot is running and it works just fine. By the time the pour is finished I am not far off finishing with the steaming (400ml jug).

Well, an update - a couple of weeks ago (in between dance concerts: Ive been a bit flat out in the past couple of weeks!) I asked Pete to have a look at plugging some of the holes on my steam wand and taking it down to 2 holes, to see if that woud improve things.

He came back in to the kitchen after about 5 minutes and said that hed got out a needle files and open up the blocked steam holes that were in there, so which ones did I want plugged up. We were about to head off somewhere, so I told him to leave it and wed work it out the following day.

Put the tip back on the following morning (un-modified) and Ive got about twice the steaming power that I had! In fact, I had to relearn how to steam my milk because it now steams 500ml in about 30 seconds and is so quick it doesnt allow for any mistakes whatsoever. All good now and Ive adjusted.

Im guessing that the holes were probably semi-plugged up from the factory, because Im pretty fastidious when it comes to flushing out the steam wand after milk, and Ive only had the machine for 6 or so months, so not really long enough to build up too much milk in the holes with that sort of routine.

But what a difference it makes - its now a lot quicker even than when I first got the machine!

Success! :D

Excellent Di... 8-)

Nice to know that Pete is earning his keep... ;) :P

Mal.

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 0F283E2C34470 link=1312359965/12#12 date=1322260054
    But what a difference it makes - its now a lot quicker even than when I first got the machine!
    With the Oscar, I can stretch the milk for 2 lattés in exactly the time it takes to run the double shot through the machine ;) But it took a lot of practice after the Silvia, and a lot of mess ::)

/Kevin