Thread: accessorising a Giotto

accessorising a Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

So I have an ECM Giotto sans tamper on its way, and I have a couple of things I need, but my experience is limited to toasters so here I am again with questions!

I need a grinder (probably sorted), tamper, basket, and water filter - anything else?

Tamper will probably be a Nexus, and since Im getting a tamper why not a VST as well?* I was told a convex base would match the original basket but a flat base would do the VST, so once I commit to basket type I cant experiment with the other basket...

From all accounts the VST looks the real deal.* Im thinking of sticking to the 15g - do you think I should order an 18g at the same time since different batches might be different sizes?* I could do without the extra cost.

Now water filter - no sponsors here so either I go into a local supplier armed with facts, or order the bits from a sponsor and get a local plumer to fit something.* The other half doesnt know the half of what Ive just done so something that isnt too obrusive 8-)* She wouldnt be interested in bottled water, so its either an under sink filter with a second tap; an undersink filter with a new dual-purpose tap; or a desktop jug filter thing.

Are there any in-machine-tank-filters that are good enough on their own?* Considering the water just down the road is bottled and sold as spring water, and my 6 year old kettle barely has a mark on the inside, exactly what do you think is required to stop scale and gunk?

Phew... I think thats about it.* For now...* thanks!

I think I might move over and become a regular in the 1500-3000 room ;)

Roz

Re: accessorising a Giotto

My Nexus and 18g VST should be in my hands shortly, Im actually quite nervous about the VST as the general reports are that your dosing technique is even more critical to getting good results from this basket, you have to grind a few notches finer than most others and be very consistent in the way you dose, Greg recommends reading Mark Princes report on them.

You should measure your Giotto basket when it comes and see if Greg can match a base that will fit both the VST and the stock basket depending how far it is off.

My Nexus base will fit my Synesso apparently but will be a bit loose but it should still be good.

I would be contacting your local water authority to get numbers on the average total hardness and pH in your area and then contact Bombora to sort you out with an appropriate filter system, if you have the ability to put a second tap on your sink then go with that as you will be filling it regularly and it will give you clean filtered drinking water, best of both worlds IMO.

I guess the next step after you pull a few hundred or so shots is to start home roasting if you havent already ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 636C6B766A61040 link=1312983436/1#1 date=1312987865
    see if Greg can match a base that will fit both the VST and the stock basket
    "Very unlikely" was the official word from Robyn! besides I would need a convex for one and a flat base for the other...

and it will give you clean filtered drinking water
    I have clean filtered drinking water coming out of the normal tap... sRsly... but numbers from the authority would be good...

Found a 2004 pdf report and a 2010 report. In both cases calcium was <= 10mg/L.

Probably on account of having 90% of our water from reservoir and only 10% form bores. And something to do with 2.5m of rain last wet season?!

I also have a fridge water filter - would that do?

Quote Originally Posted by 3D323528343F5A0 link=1312983436/1#1 date=1312987865
    My Nexus and 18g VST should be in my hands shortly, Im actually quite nervous about the VST as the general reports are that your dosing technique is even more critical to getting good results from this basket, you have to grind a few notches finer than most others and be very consistent in the way you dose, Greg recommends reading Mark Princes report on them.
    You dont need to be nervous. The VST is less forgiving because there are less flaws in the basket to hide flaws in your technique so if somethings not working in your technique the VST will show you. If the hole sizes / shapes are all over the place as they are with most baskets, youll get more mixing of the espresso in the basket meaning it might look good but all sorts of oddities are probably happening inside the basket that youre not aware of. The VST reveals these so its something to be embraced, not scared of. Some may choose to go back to a poorly punched basket as theyre more forgiving, but thats only because itll make the shot look good when you stuff something up (a lot like a pressurised basket will do only not so bad).

Consider it the naked portafilter of baskets.

Greg

Thanks for the pre-sales support Greg :) On your comment: "Note however that so far the absolute diameter has varied from batch to batch."

Do you think I should order an 18g at the same time as the 15g since different batches might be different sizes? Or since you measure the 15g, if I want an 18g later could you find one that matches close enough?

filter faucet

what do you guys do for taps with under-sink filters? Since my place is small I was thinking of a combined water+filtered water mixer. The local bathroom store only has one of these (attached picture) but Im not sure its worth $599 plust installation :o

Then theres one from bunnings for about $200...

Im trying to stay away from a second filter tap.

I ordered from Bombora and had a mate install it for me. The parts were still around $120 on top of the filter, hoses, pressure valve, tap etc.

I got the extra tap from bunnings rather than an all in one, which was appealing but the cook didnt like it. Dont miss it though, eBay has stuff like that as well.

I only have one tamper, its flat on the bottom, same as the shower screen incidentally. Im not too worried about flat vs convex tamper ;)

If you get all the flash gear right from the beginning how can you upgrade and get pleasure from the improvements you make?

Quote Originally Posted by 3C3A2D263C3B2321480 link=1312983436/6#6 date=1313115913
    If you get all the flash gear right from the beginning how can you upgrade and get pleasure from the improvements you make?
    The tap is required for the approval of "She" who must be obeyed.

I need a tamper anyway, and the Nexus is similar in price to other good ones, so why not?

And Im not getting a Nexus now only to buy another base when I get a VST later, so thats in too ;)

Filter is pretty much required, unless I can do an in-tank one.

The pleasure of improvements will come from a nice big conical sometime in the future :D

Quote Originally Posted by 6A626A6D6761030 link=1312983436/4#4 date=1313042639
    Thanks for the pre-sales support Greg :) On your comment: "Note however that so far the absolute diameter has varied from batch to batch."

Do you think I should order an 18g at the same time as the 15g since different batches might be different sizes? Or since you measure the 15g, if I want an 18g later could you find one that matches close enough?

Its probably best to get them at the same time. I know future batches of VSTs are going to be a bit smaller than what we have at the moment. If you wanted to split your purchase its less of an issue if you get them from us because we measure and record the diameters of each VST basket we sell (Im not aware of any other importers doing this but I could be wrong) so if you give us the serial number of your 18g basket we can try to find a 15g that will match it; but of course if all our 15s are smaller by then we wont be able to help! Also youll obviously save on postage by buying both at the same time.

Greg

Water filter all sorted by Bernard from Bombora (excellent help!) A Brita ion-replacement filter kit is (almost) on the way. Turns out our total hardness is about 53ppm so a small amount of softening is still required.

:)

well, I just have to say Im excited my Giotto is finally here, sitting on the kitchen table, shining away!

Unfortunately the plumber who installed my original kitchen tap did some dodgey cornering to get around a straight wall, so Im going to have to be creative with the filter kit sent by Bombora. Grinder has also been delayed due to 2 out of 2 kids needing surgery soon - not extreme, but still costly. $1000 for half an hours work!

Anyway, Im happy that its happening, albeit slowly. In the mean time Ill have to keep haunting these forums ;)

thanks for the advice everyone.

Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by 4941494E4442200 link=1312983436/10#10 date=1315831780
    Grinder has also been delayed due to 2 out of 2 kids needing surgery soon - not extreme, but still costly. $1000 for half an hours work!

Ill do it for half that ;)

hehe!

the shocking part is he just increased his fees after we paid - its now $2000 for tonsils & adenoids :o

And "full" private health insurance will only cover "the schedule" which is about $300 >:(

aaaaaanyway...

Can I just confirm the 18g VST basket will fit a Giotto without having to use a naked portafilter?

Thanks

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2C292A3F3F2E39272E324B0 link=1312983436/13#13 date=1323001407
    Can I just confirm the 18g VST basket will fit a Giotto without having to use a naked portafilter?

Thanks
    Sure does Glenn ;)

looks i know what i will be getting for Christmas. i ooriginally bought a 18g synesso but it was too tall.

I have the 15 and 18g ridgeless VST. They are easier to get out than the standard baskets (no knife edge/lever required) but I havent had any issues from that. Both fit well, as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F3A37300418343D3D3E3E5B0 link=1312983436/14#14 date=1323024215
    Sure does Glenn*
    Cheers Chris. Ive ordered one.