Thread: Finance Minister say yes, pros and cons advice

Finance Minister say yes, pros and cons advice

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well the Minister of finance has said yes to the new coffee machine, have got it down to Bezzera Gea (previous good experience with brand), Giotto evo (looks great, rotory pump well reviewed), VBM super (big boiler, big element, proven performer). Opinions greatly appreciated.

To confuse myself some more I just saw a near new Boema single group c-1s10A at 2k is this worth considering.

Thanks in advance

Chester

Re: Finance Minister say yes, pros and cons advice

Im assuming youre looking at plumbing it in?

I love the Gea and the Evo. Id recommend against the Boema. Hate to say this about an Aussie machine, but they simply dont make them as good as the Italians do! That is IMHO ( ::)), and yes I have worked with all these brands.

I can only comment about the Evo.

What are the main things that just do it for me.

The thing just works. Nothing complicated. I have all the information I need in front of me to adjust for the perfect pour.

Pump builds up pressure very evenly; operation is both quiet and silky smooth. The steaming capacity is very suited to home use. Enough steam for both small and larger quantities of milk up to say the 600ml mark; perfect for prep of two cups at a time.

Oh and did I mention sometime I just look at it and stare. 8-)

I have been an owner of a Bezzera Galatea and its very similar internally to the Gea

I loved that machine (now the Galatea is living with another CS member)
    Here is a video I took
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkWjQnLJ6-E

KK

Thanks for the replys so far :)

After lots of reading I am down to the Gea or Evo. Looking at running from machine tank so the comparison is:-

boiler Gea - 2L Evo- 1.8L
    Element - 1472 - 1200 watt
    Cool touch wands - No - Yes
    Pump - Vibe - Rotary
    Group head - e-61 - e-61
    tank - 4L - 2.9L
    Plumb option - No - yes
    Looks out of 10 - 6 - 9 my opinion
    Price approx $2800 $3300

Both machines have pluses both are well made, the Gea has the Bezzera guarantee (worth something) The Evo has the great option of plumbing in later.

Im so in the middle I need a push :D

Your thoughts ?

Chester

I would go the rotary pump. I just love the silence and feel of refinement of the rotary pump on my machine, it makes the solenoids sound like the loudest thing about the machine! And being able to plumb in if you redo your kitchen would be a nice options, saves a lot of hassle emptying drip trays etc.

Cool touch wands would also be a good safety feature if you have kids etc, or visitors who like to feel shiny things!! [smiley=grin.gif]

Cheers

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6271776E626D030 link=1317357937/5#5 date=1317518231
    I would go the rotary pump.
    Me too.

I think once you have experienced a rotary pump machine, its hard to go back!

Be mindful its just a convenience thing though as I doubt a rotary pump puts anything into the cup ;)

The ability the drain the EVO will also be a bonus.

I have no experience with the Gea, but am sure its built to the usual standards youd expect from the brand. A larger tank is neither here nor there for me, as Id want to be filling each day to keep the water quality at optimum anyway.

I am sure you will be happy with either machine once the deal is done. ;)

Cheers

Chris

On paper, the Evo beats the Gea

If cost is important, than the Gea does save you a fair bit. I think the Gea can be supplied with a rotary pump also at your request, that would, in my mind put it ahead as it has the Bezzera name and guarantee with it.

Looks, in my opinion, while not completely unimportant, should not have much bearing on the descision.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6E77634E5444525454270 link=1317357937/7#7 date=1317530829
    I think the Gea can be supplied with a rotary pump also at your request
    The Gea is not available with a tank and rotary pump though. As the OP mentioned the option of plumbing in later on, Id assume a tank machine is the present requirement.

To the best of my knowledge, tank rotary with plumb option comes back to: Giotto Evo, Alex II, Alex Duetto, LM GS/3 and Iberital Handy.

Chris

You could run the rotary version of a tank (a 5 liter container would do the trick).

Having a bucket on the floor of our kitchen isnt going to win me any favours with the Boss ;D
    So tank and plumbed is the only way for me and I think a great option in a machine, (take coffee machine on holiday with you to ensure great shots) ;)
    Have spent the whole day reading web articles about thermal stability, HX versus DB, and must say thankfully coffeesnobs is a far friendlier site than some of the US ones, no wonder they all own guns ;D.
    But the next question, if I can push the finance minister what about the Izzo Alex Duetto ii ? (solely in the pursuit of creating the best coffee for her of-course) should this be a real contender ::)? gets an amazing review on bella-barista UK and all the snobs that all ready own one. I know im stepping into that DB over HX argument (i have no real prefrence and can see all the arguments from both sides) but all I want is a great machine of high build quality, that will last for years, that is easily serviced and with some quality participation on my part ;D produces outstanding coffee.

The Alex Duetto is sort of top of the pops isnt it? Does everything, and very well judging by the raving reviews I have read.

If you get this, you probably wont have upgraditis setting in for years, or maybe ever.

They look magnificent.

Cheers

Well its decided, were heading off to the Gold Coast to CS sponsors Coffee Roasters Australia to get ourselves an Izzo Alex Duetto ii ;D

Not allowed to mention upgrades for quite some time :-X

But is the Mazar Super Jolly up to it ? ;)

Thanks all for your input

Chester

Hey Cosmic,

Congrats on upgrading to a Big boy!

One thing I think you must consider though is when your testing it is youll be operating it in tank mode. Now Im going to get seriously booed for this but I think you should keep this in mind as you dont want the time you spend using the machine to be anything less than perfect.

The internal tank of the machine is only like 2L I believe. What that means is youll be filling it non-stop in my opinion if you are making anything more than 2 cups and if your like me and clean porta filter etc between shots and to fill cups etc. To access the tank you need to remove the entire top cup warming tray which is all one piece.

If this is not an issue for you then it is awesome and truly a great machine but if it is think hard because it is a lot to part with if you dont think youll be 100% happy.

In plumb in mode this obviously doesnt apply.

P.s. just food for thought.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 464D574C56494B42250 link=1317357937/13#13 date=1317610013
    The internal tank of the machine is only like 2L I believe. What that means is youll be filling it non-stop in my opinion if you are making anything more than 2 cups
    Gday ITC.

You may see a tank 1/2 empty, but I see one 1/2 full ;)

Call it 50 ml of water per shot with 10% remaining and you refill every 36 shots.

With water sitting in a warm tank, Id want to refill the tank every day anyway, so it will be ample Id think. A Giotto tank would deliver perhaps 15 extra shots before a refill. On the other hand, the Giotto owner would be emptying the drip tray perhaps 4x as often- but I wouldnt care as like you, Id want to plumb in anyway.

Cosmic- congrats on your upcoming membership of the growing fan club.

Chris

Gra

Quote Originally Posted by 333F233D39330F333F25203C356262500 link=1317357937/12#12 date=1317597789
    Well its decided, were heading off to the Gold Coast to CS sponsors Coffee Roasters Australia to get ourselves an Izzo Alex Duetto ii* ;D

Not allowed to mention upgrades for quite some time* :-X

But is the Mazar Super Jolly up to it ?* ;)

Thanks all for your input

Chester
    Great choice Chester you wont regret it ;) It will put a smile on your face every time you see it 8-)..
    Congrats.
    Cheers Gra..

Well picked up the machine and while we were there, got all the pieces to plumb her in straight away ;D. Many thanks to Mark and Wayne at Coffee Roasters Australia for their great service. :)

Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Chester..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Lovely machine that pretty well ticks all the boxes in all the important areas, and so flexible too... 8-)

Id have one in a flash if we had the room. Many God shots ahead of you both... ;D

Mal.

Machine is now plumbed in and in service ;D

Again many thanks to all that shared their advice and well wishes.

Chester

love to hear how you go with the machine.......

Quote Originally Posted by 2A263A24202A162A263C39252C7B7B490 link=1317357937/18#18 date=1317789017
    Machine is now plumbed in and in service* ;D

Again many thanks to all that shared their advice and well wishes.

Chester
    Pics Pics Pics please!!!! :D