Thread: La Cimbali Junior S

La Cimbali Junior S

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,
    I recently purchased a La Cimbali Junior and need to change the group seal. Ive bought two new seals, one from Coffee Parts and one from another site sponsor and neither will fit. Ive tried everything from soaking it in hot water to make the seal more pliable to olive oil. Ive noticed on Coffee Parts that there is a conical seal, does anyone know if this is the one I need or am I just doing this the wrong way. Ive changed many group seals in my lifetime so am pretty sure Im putting it in the correct way but maybe not!
    Thank you so much in advance. Im very close to pulling my hair out in frustration!
    Sue

Re: La Cimbali Junior S

Does the new seal appear to be too small in internal diamater? Have you taken off the chrome collar around the group? (held on with 3 bolts).

Once you take it off you can clearly see the brass group that the seal slides over. On mine it was a snug fit but I could fit it with firm finger pressure.

I ordered the conical seal (as the old was conical), coffeeparts item 700623, but the normal flat seal is also available (700149), with the same ID/OD. I also bought the spacer (700200) but have not used it, as the handle locks in at 90 degrees.

This page shows the group on my machine:
    http://www.coffeeparts.com/cimbali/cimbali-spare-parts-1

Cheers

Hi Artman,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, I have taken off the collar. The seal slides rather loosely over the brass group and it seems just a tad too big in diameter for the outside of the seal as the collar wont go back on.
    I cant tell if the old one is conical as it has changed shape whilst in the group! It has a 1x1mm rim on the outer, bottom edge or the seal - this leads me to suspect that it was probably a conical one and it got squashed into that shape.
    I definitely cant use finger pressure! Ive even resorted to a hammer to lightly tap the collar on with no luck...
    Ill try the conical.
    Sue

Ahh ok, you are having trouble fitting the collar back on, but the seal slides on ok over the group.* I noticed with mine it was quite tight fitting the collar back on with the new seal, did require some force, but did with quite heavy hand pressure.

Re conical or flat, that should not affect the fitting of it.* The difference between the 2 is the sealing face on the flat one are both flat and parallel, the conical has one sealing face tapered, higher on the inside, lower on the outside.* Its quite obvious when you look at it.

You can sort of see it in the pic here, the thickness at the outside edge is smaller than inside. http://www.coffeeparts.com/cimbali/700623

Actually just did a bit of a sketch, easier than words, cross section of seals:

Which part number did you get from coffeeparts?

Does the seal fit inside the collar with the collar removed?

How loose is it over the group?* Why dont you measure diameters with your old seal to compare?

Cheers

Hi artman,
    Great sketch! What program did you use? :)
    The old one is about 1.5mm smaller than the new. I bought the 700149. I think by using the conical one it will allow the collar to grab a bit of the rubber and slide on with some force (a bit like using a lever tool to get a tire into the rim of a road bike).
    And I should have said there is a 1x1mm rim on the inside of the old seal and not the outside, that was probably the conical bit of the old seal which now sits almost at right angles with the rim.
    Sue

Drew it in word, screen capture, then pasted into paint, saved as jpg!! Crude but works, and fairly quick. Thats quite a difference in size, definitely sounds too large, I would try the conical, it fits mine ok.

I can measure my spare seal for you, but cant get to it until Wednesday.

I have read that if you call coffeeparts and speak to Pedro, if you are only getting something small that can be posted in an envelope etc, he usually charged cheap postage, not the minimum. I am sure they will look after you, especially if their supplied part does not fit.

Dont quite understand what you mean re your tyre lever analogy (speaking of which, snapped one the other week trying to fit new tyre!!), but I think the conical is designed to help seal against the group, as the taper will generate force inwards towards the group, so as you tighten the inside seal face will push inwards (as well as the whole seal pushing up obviously). The basket sits about the middle of the taper.

The PF doesnt need a lot of force to seal, the only time mine has leaked (and its just a drop every second or so when pulling a shot), is if grinds have become stuck on the seal etc and a clean fixed it. Have been doing the PF wiggle while backflushing with water after finishing with the machine and its been fine for ages.

Cheers

Hi again,
    Wow, word does everything!
    Re. the bike analogy, once you get a small portion of the tire into the rim the rest slides in. My seal is currently butting up against the collar, if there was a taper then it may slide in. I can get it in the collar with it removed but again, I have to level the last bit and squash it in.
    Ill give Pedro a call on Tuesday - I cant be the only one with this problem!
    Thank you so much artman.
    Sue

No worries, actually I recall either reading somewhere on the forums or via PM chatting one CSer had a similar problem to you, ie the gasket was not quite the right size, so maybe its a bad batch of seals?

Cheers

Hi artman,
    I just wanted to let you know that I received the new conical seal from Coffee Parts this morning and it fits perfectly. I had a couple of spacers in my coffee machine parts box which were required and the machine is now serving lovely syrupy shots.
    Thanks again for your advice.
    Sue

No worries, good to hear you are getting some ripper shots!

Hopefully coffeeparts wont send out the oversized seals so others avoid the hassle.

Did they say why the flat seal didnt fit?

Cheers

No, the guy I spoke to hadnt heard of the problem. Im surprised because the conical one is about 1mm smaller in diameter and its that 1mm that made all the difference! I suspect that the flat one is for all of the other Cimbali machines and the conical for the Junior (and Faema E98)...
    Sue