Thread: Electrical shock from coffee machine?

Electrical shock from coffee machine?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi there

I bought an Andreja Premium a few months ago and it has been working fine. However, when I touched the machine this morning (after about 1 hour warmup via timer), I got a small electrical shock.

I thought it was some static of sorts, but continued to get shocked the next 3 times I touched it (from any part of the metal shell). Even after switching it off and on, the electric charge was still there. The machine still worked fine, just that I couldnt touch any metal parts with my bare hands.

I havent moved it at all so theres no reason for something to have come loose. Its a european machine (240V) using a 2 pin plug.

I assume the next step is to open it up and look for a loose/bare wire?

Any other advice?

Thanks
    Sing

p/s I posted this on CG as well as they have a dedicted repair section

Re: Electrical shock from coffee machine?

Im sure some electrical people will be along shortly to give you some advice, Im not one of them.

But, my advice (being a tinkerer who knows I dont know enough about 240v) is you NEED to unplug that machine and not turn it back on until you have the problem sorted. Dont go experimenting with touching it again. 240v kills and does so more often than people lead themselves to believe. You may not have got a 240v zap but the next time you touch it you might. Something is seriously wrong and electricity is finding a path to your casing. Until you are sure it is no longer doing it, you really need to unplug it and dont touch it plugged in again.

When I say something is seriously wrong - it doesnt mean an expensive or difficult fix - it may be very easy and cheap. What I mean is electricity should not be there and if you keep playing whilst it is - this is serious.

Hopefully some electrical people will be along shortly. Play safe.

Yea i know about that - but it didnt register that electricity was finding its way to the case until I got my 2nd/3rd shock (problem with pre-coffee state at 5am in the morning). At first i thought it was just really hot (as the E61s sometimes get).

ive disconnected it and am now trying to sort out what to do.

Sing, you need to have a qualified electrician take a look.

I dont even know if youre in AU, but if you are, it sounds like you are acting as the earth (very dangerous) and the problem could be anywhere from the machine to the powerpoint not being earthed properly.

Dont risk your life.

Im trying to figure out who to bring it to - an electrician would know the wiring, but he wouldnt know how to open the case properly and may damage it.

On the other hand the local espresso shop may not have the technical knowhow...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2D363621282132252A273D440 link=1318999271/0#0 date=1318999271
    Its a european machine (240V) using a 2 pin plug.
    :o It needs to go to an appropriately quailified small appliance technician or espresso machine technician.

Australian machines are earthed with a 3 pin plug. Yours should be as well. Sale of this configuration would not be allowed as you have proven its potentially electrically dangerous. Have it repaired and modified for safety before somebody gets injured or killed.

Absolutely. It is A. not effectively earthed and B. leaking current somewhere. A recipe for disaster.

leave it as is, give yourself a shock when youre feeling particularly sleepy :P

Besides the current problem, that bad boy should have an aussie plug on it with an earth pin.

I suspect that Sing is from Singapore
    Still its a 240 V country

The best advice I can give you is to have an electrician check it out
    Change the plug to suit your local standard

It puzzles me as to why you are still getting shocks after its turned off

It could also be a problem with the wall plug as in closed circuit in the off position (try pulling the machines plug out completely)

Or it could be a problem with the on / off switch on the machine again as in closed circuit in the off position

Again have an electrician check it out

KK