Thread: Rocker Swtch Replacement - Expobar Minore II

Rocker Swtch Replacement - Expobar Minore II

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

I am needing to replace the rocker switch on my Expobar Minore 2.

Ive got a replacement switch and just need to know how to wire it up (which of the 4 wires to attach to each point on the switch?).

For reference, this is the replacement switch:
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge_4427.jpg

Thanks very much.

TC

Re: Rocker Swtch Replacement - Expobar Minore II

Hi Steve,

It needs to be the same as what you had before you removed the wires.

If you are not sure what youre doing, please pay a tech. to the the work for you. Crossing connections can kill electrics within your machine. Living organisms also tend to come off 2nd best when 240V and inexperience are combined.

Dont risk it mate ;)

Chris

hopefully you took note of the wires before you unplugged :P

Steve,

I dont think you are replacing like for like here.
    My rocker switch has perished once (maybe twice) over my machines lifetime and it was due to heat.

The switch on mine currently (replaced by service centre) is an illuminated rocker with 4 blades at the back, not 6. When I tried to find replacements myself, I could only find switches with 6 blades as well.

The wiring that connects to the blades was heat effected on my machine too.

This was all refreshed by the technicians when I got my machine serviced earlier this year, and I think you might consider this rather than just switch replacement.

Dont know how old your machine is, but mine is over 5 years old and was really in need of the service. New seals (and the wiring) and it runs like a dream.

Its worth it!

Brett.

I couldnt find like for like either so sourced an original replacement part from Expobar and then had Di Bartoli install it for me at the time of a regular service.

What you have in the picture is a double pole/double throw switch (DPDT - 6 pin). Most machines (if not all) would have a double pole/single throw (DPST - 4 pin).

You can still use it, but with this type of switch youll have live terminals in the off position. Any "spare" terminals will therefore need to be insulated, else someone may get a nasty surprise if the cover is off. See the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch (search for DPDT) for a diagram of the switch.

The question then is which terminal is the "in", which is the "on" and which is the "off". A diagram of that particular switch or a multimeter could tell you. And as Chris said before, one wire in the wrong place could cause all sorts of problems, so if youre not confident then dont try it.

Thanks for all of the replies, its very much appreciated.

I was trying to keep my original post as brief as possible, because in reality, replacing a simple rocker switch should be fairly straight forward (or so one would think).

My original switch was replaced with the DPDT noted above at a previous service, so my thinking was to simply replace that one with one from Jaycar/DSE instead of waiting for an Expobar part to be sent out (ie. a quick fix).

Although I totally understand the importance, I am reluctant to get a tech out as my machine has recently been serviced, so for the cost of a $4 switch, surely it cannot be that complicated.

Perhaps if I were to order an original Expobar switch it might be easier to replace it myself?

On the plus side, I am getting reacquainted with my Stove-Top coffee brewer :)

Thanks again all.

It is easy if you have the right tools - a multimeter is invaluable for working out which pin does what. Otherwise its guesswork - which is no fun with 240v* :D

Most of the time, the middle two pins are the line-side. One of the outer pin pairs "turns on" when the switch says "on", and the other pair "turns on" when the switch says "off". Ive attached a mud map on how Id wire it based on that assumption.

There is a 50/50 chance the switch will actually be around the wrong way (the machine will be on when its meant to be off, and vice-versa). In that case, swap each wire to the other (vacant) 3rd pin. When you get it right, insulate (with electrical tape) the exposed pins that are not being used.

I take no responsibility for any damage if you decide to give it a go - your mileage may vary depending on the exact configuration of the switch.

(ps - wire colours are indicative - I have no idea what colours they used in your machine and often they are different)

Big Steve,

To avoid unused terminals being live in the off position attach the incoming mains to the top two terminals as shown in your picture and attach the wires to the works to the middle terminals. Depending on how the switch operates mechanically it may switch the machine on in the "off" position, in which case swap the wires on the upper terminals to the lower terminals.

Make sure that the machine is unplugged before you do any work - sounds obvious I know - but!!!!

Really though, with all due respect to you, if you have to ask how to wire the switch up then you should not be doing it!!!*- A mistake can result in a fire or worse. Leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7A767D7E7C647F7872170 link=1320540188/7#7 date=1320579639
    When you get it right, insulate (with electrical tape) the exposed pins that are not being used.
    Hmm... Im not so keen on that from an electrical perspective. Insulation tape is not so long-lived around heat. Id recommend the use of shrouded spade connectors to blank off with if the decision is made to use this switch.

Yep good point!

Quote Originally Posted by 31160714072A565A620 link=1320540188/8#8 date=1320612435
    Really though, with all due respect to you, if you have to ask how to wire the switch up then you should not be doing it!!!
    Agreed. Point taken :)

Thanks again all.

To close off this thread, for anyone searching this forum in the future with the same issue:-

It really is as straight forward as pulling out the old rocker switch and putting in the new one. A job I consider as straight forward as I indicated in my initial post.

I didnt need a tech, just a lot of help from the kind people on this forum, a like for like switch and what call I common sense.

With respect to the above posts, it really IS easy and just because one posts in a forum asking for assistance, doesnt mean one should not attempt such a straight forward task.

Wouldnt you know it, I "wired up a switch" and I learnt how by asking :)

But I also appreciate everyone wanting to protect themselves from any liability so heed the safety warnings but know that it CAN be EASILY done YOURSELF so long as you replace like for like. The obvious caveat being, that I accept no responsibility for damage or anyone elses actions with respect to this thread - this is FYI only.

Many people have learnt to accomplish much through public forums, that is after all IMHO, partly why they exist.

Thanks to all who helped - my machine has been running like a dream again for quite sometime.* ;)