Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My bargain ECM Giotto find

My bargain ECM Giotto find

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I recently sold my lovely NS Oscar right here on CS, to another CSer. The upgrade bug had bitten once again!

I started with Sunbeam EM6910 & EM0480 grinder, then picked up a Mazzer Mini, then an NS Oscar, then a Gaggia Classic for work ($150!), and Id now like to introduce my latest find from the local classifieds:

An ECM Giotto Premium. It was advertised for $500 or make an offer, there had to be something wrong with it. I went for a look, it was filthy, really bad, also an ex-gourmet food shop machine (I think). Dirty on the outside, PFs full of mould.

Thanks to some CSs I PMd before looking at the machine, I got some tips on what to look for with a Giotto, especially an older ECM model.

I asked to see it work, so we fired it up and it started to heat. The green light flickering away... burble burble. It got to temp and sat between 1.1 and 1.2 bar at idle. I tried HW tap, water! and pimp kicked in after about 1/2 cup. Tried steam, pretty dry. Tried the group, working. The stuff coming out of it was rank.

I asked if I could open it up and inspect inside. A little dusty and a few small coffee drips, a small rust patch on the chassis where the water tank connect, minor. I listened for issues, checked wiring.

There is a part missing off the front, the part bolts on to the chassis, and the drip tray sits on it. More on this later...

I frowned and said "this is terrible.. it needs a lot of work, Ill give you $400 for it". They said no, very firm. I left paying $450.

It came with both spout PFs, three baskets, and... a Reg Barber black powder-coated convex tamper! (score)

I got it home, pulled it down, inspected it more, cleaned it up inside and out then started a de-scale as per the "how to descale an HX machine properly" thread right here on CS. Which uses the flooding the boiler technique by pulling the water level probe. It took around 2hrs in total and the scale wasnt that bad it seemed (only a little green, not too bad).

Then I decided to back flush it. oh my god. I couldnt believe the sh!t that was coming out of this thing, check the pics! wow. five cafetto flushes and ten plain water flushes later, it was clear.

I pulled my first shot, the pour was thick, and only a little too fast. The puck came out dry but was channeled. Looks like Ill need to change my technique! I pulled a second shot a bit finer on the mazzer, much slower and thinner pour. Probably too fine on the grind, no channelling (changed my dose technique), came out dry. I tried the shot but find it hard to taste right now as I have a sinus infection :(

I steamed up some milk and added it to the shot, it seemed quite nice, but again, until Im feeling better.....

Some observations:

- The anti-vac hisses a little as it comes up to temp, and splutters a tiny little bit of water. is this normal, should I replace it? I can also hear that pin in the centre of it tinking as it moves around. Its minor, but still.

- I need this missing part from the front that bolts on the front of the machine. The drip tray is currently resting on a little cork block I have, it works, but the machine isnt stable on the bench (sitting on three rubber legs, all of which have had it). Does that part have any feet on it also? Can I get one somewhere, or perhaps Ill need to make one.

- It will still need a new group seal and shower screen. Its not leaking at all, it locks in at 6oclock nicely, and the screen is now fairly clean (see backflush pic), but still, I like new... and its cheap

- It has a black and white wire to the p-stat. the black wire looks mostly like the other wires, but the white wire is a larger gauge (fatter), has it been rewired? (pics)

- The lever to activate the brew leaks a little when actually brewing a shot. Rebuildable I presume.

- The green light/indicator is dull and flickers a little. I see replacement ones are cheap

So there you have it. I thought Id share my find, a $450 Giotto with an RB tamper. I guess that makes it a $350 giotto?

All the pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/themandys/sets/72157627983428821/

some attachments:

Re: My bragain ECM Giotto find

1 - Yes, a bit of sputter and hiss is normal for the anti-vac valve

2 - Check my website {this website wont let me post my own freakin URL!!!!!!!} .. The E-61 group should be disassembled and cleaned. I have a video of the cam lube step-by-step and another lesson (no video) of a full overhaul. For the condition of your machine I think it would benefit from a valve seal replacement on all three valves, replacement of the shaft seals,* and a thorough clean and lube.

For a better understanding of the E-61 group in detail, download the full Vibiemme Domobar Double owners manual HERE.

Re: My bargain ECM Giotto find

Great find James. I agree with Randy G (good catchphrase there!) - you should strip down that group and give her a full overhaul - you might be surprised how much more black comes out, even though it runs clear on a backflush now (at least that was my experience when I stripped my HX, but not an e-61 so may be way off too).

On 2nd thoughts you were ripped but Ill give you $400 so you can recoup most of your money. ;D

Re: My bragain ECM Giotto find

Congrats - good score.* It sounds like it still works a treat even though it was mistreated

A pity the drip tray support is missing. You might be able to make something up with a couple of pieces of angle iron that can bolt onto the mainframe.

TC

Nice pickup James* 8-)

Wonder how they cleaned that p/f to get it back to raw brass all over?* :o ::)

I have a brand spanking Giotto Premium Plus chassis which was for a project that never eventuated. This one has the integral drip tray which doesnt bend at the junction with the body. Drop me a line if you are interested in it. Youd also need 4 x commercial (new style) feet for it. ;)

Chris

Okay, Ive pulled a second shot this arvo and nailed the grind, dose, tamp, the pour was very nice.

anti-vac minor hiss is normal, ok good, its only for a very short time until the pin locks (pops up) :)

I will look in to a group rebuild, can I leave the actual group attached to the machine/boiler? and just dismantle all the bits and bobs that go in it?

I might also screw out the taps and re-grease them.

Chris, new frame would be so lovely, but more $$$, and Id have to dismantle the entire machine for the transplant, urgh. Perhaps a full tear down would be good for it though!

I cant believe how much shit came out of it when backflushing. Ive never seen anything like it.

With the double-spout PF (the one thats been scrubbed back to brass), the hole in the bottom was tiny, I removed what seems like mountains of caked on old burnt coffee, it was really feral. Its all clean now however. I also notice that PF locks in around 4/5 instead of 6. Its "ears" are way worn compared to the single PF. Im happy using the single PF at this stage, Its only me drinking coffee unless I entertain. I might buy a new naked PF and transplant the double spout back to the single later.

I might have to "make" a front drip tray/rest bracket. Can someone confirm that the part has rubber feet to stabilise the machine more? I have to be really gentle, and hold the machine with my left hand to unlock the PF after brewing, otherwise it will tip over on its single front rubber foot. boo.

My milk texturing sucks badly on this machine, bulk steam, crap technique. I had the NS Oscar sussed really well, but this thing, different all over again.

Still an epic find at this stage! Ill try source all the parts to fully rebuild the group, and do the showerscreen / group seal at the same time, Im sure some site sponsors have the stuff I need!

Quote Originally Posted by 0D262A22340A470 link=1321079232/5#5 date=1321085585
    Can someone confirm that the part has rubber feet to stabilise the machine more?

Yes. Try this thread

"Quick Search" is your friend. This was the first hit for a search of ecm giotto

i read that whole thread previously, and none of the parts diagrams or information can confirm if the front support/tray has feet attached to it. I assume it does? two? meaning the giotto has a total of five rubber feet?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 606A7F6868677375060 link=1321079232/6#6 date=1321087310
    Quote Originally Posted by 0D262A22340A470 link=1321079232/5#5 date=1321085585
    Can someone confirm that the part has rubber feet to stabilise the machine more?

Yes. Try this thread

"Quick Search" is your friend. This was the first hit for a search of ecm giotto

TC

Yes- 5 feet in total

The first page of the diagrams that Chris posted shows the* the rubber foot (part C449900843) held in place with a bolt (C319900412).
    On my Premium plus, the drip tray has two rubber feet attached to the drip tray frame which is welded on to the chassis. Yours looked like it might have been bolted on. Also see Erics reply #37. Page 3 of that file shows the same parts.

If your Giotto already has 3 feet then I think your guess of a total of 5 is correct. Mine only has 4 feet

Hi JamesM,

I got my ECM Giotto at a bargain price too. check the thread below. lots on getting this machine up to scratch. I wont tell u how much I got mine for... ;)

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1315922389/50

aah yes, I did read that thread, quite a lot of information in there actually!

What are the chances you could send me some photos and measurements for the metal tray that bolts on the front of the machine (the drip tray holder), which mine is missing? Ill look at making one if I can get the size, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B4947514D280 link=1321079232/10#10 date=1321094120
    Hi JamesM,

I got my ECM Giotto at a bargain price too.* check the thread below.* lots on getting this machine up to scratch.* I wont tell u how much I got mine for... ;)

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1315922389/50

Thanks mate, yeah mine has the two bolts and washers still in the front of the chassis, and a faint mark of where a tray once bolted on the front. I did ask the seller if they had it, they didnt know much about the machine. (so no)

Looks like a simple rectangular tray that bolts on the front, with two threaded holes for two rubber feet. The drip tray then slides on to it, or sits in it (I assume).

At the moment, I have the drip tray resting on a cork block which is perfect, but it doesnt do anything for the stability of the machine, it really needs the extra feet and support :)

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by 73796C7B7B746066150 link=1321079232/9#9 date=1321090205
    The first page of the diagrams that Chris posted shows the* the rubber foot (part C449900843) held in place with a bolt (C319900412).
    On my Premium plus, the drip tray has two rubber feet attached to the drip tray frame which is welded on to the chassis. Yours looked like it might have been bolted on. Also see Erics reply #37. Page 3 of that file shows the same parts.

If your Giotto already has 3 feet then I think your guess of a total of 5 is correct. Mine only has 4 feet

Quote Originally Posted by 19323E36201E530 link=1321079232/11#11 date=1321098114
    What are the chances you could send me some photos and measurements for the metal tray that bolts on the front of the machine (the drip tray holder), which mine is missing? Ill look at making one if I can get the size, etc.
    244mm wide, 130mm deep, 30mm high and 1.1mm thick steel. real solid piece of tray. Oh, yes, theres another brace that runs from the front of this tray to the middle of the machine bracing the entire front, so its not just the two bolts that hold it in place. this is riveted extensively on each side.

here are the photos as requested.

Note saoye has "non standard" feet from a commercial oven or something of a similar size to the Giotto ;)

I would only add that the drip tray engulfs the black tray underneath it by resting on some proud rubber rivets on the side.

Also mine doesnt have the bracket shown above, only two bolts. Oh, and I just noticed my feet are halfway back the drip tray, not at the front. And I have the fifth leg whereas saoye doesnt :)

I reckon you could cut a piece of steel and bend the sides up to make a box...

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by 373F37303A3C5E0 link=1321079232/14#14 date=1321101873
    Oh, and I just noticed my feet are halfway back the drip tray, not at the front.
    actually mine is also if you look at the photo you can see the two screws sticking out from underneath midway down the tray on each side. I think the oven legs are such that it looks like its fixed at the front.

Iaindb, interesting that you dont have the brace underneath. It certainly is a solid piece of bracing which makes sense to me for stability.

wow, serious! hahaha thanks for the info and pics!

if i were you id take the offer of the new chassis... yes its a bit of a pain to swap everything over however not as bad as youd think, plus do it once do it right :)

Quote Originally Posted by 7C5842525950310 link=1321079232/17#17 date=1321115143
    id take the offer of the new chassis
    I agree, given the small amount of rust on yours. I think that would be easier than trying to build something from someones pics and measurements.

I think it boils down to material costs and amount of effort to make your own vs how much a genuine new Giotto chasis will cost. sounds liike there are two versions of the chasis too. Also, if you intend to sell it later down the track it would be best to go with the correct official Giotto components. Also agree on the rust that everybodys mentioned. has the rust thinned out any part of the existing chassis?

GREAT WROK!! JAMES
    I believe I saw this machine on evil-bay as well.
    But I live far from civilization and dont think I have the skill to rebuild the machine.

Love to see CSers have the chance to hunt down a machine and give it love.
    Wish I can have one in the future.
    I will keep my eye on here and evil-bay too see if I will be lucky enough to get a E61/HX machine under one grand.

Colin

I got this one on gumtree (not ebay).

another observation, the low-water-tank switch doesnt work, so the tank will empty and the pump will still keep trying to pump, its easy to pick up really fast because the noise the pump makes is different.

I wonder if I have a bit missing, or a fault. will need to investigate further.

I guess its probably not a lot of work to transplant the machine to a new chassis. I will think about it. The rust is minimal, its the front section that is missing which is more annoying than anything else.

TC

Try cleaning the tank coupling probe and screw James.

Good thing to do the boiler probe while youre at it.

Chris

theres no probe in the tank. There is a couple of wires that terminate to the small plastic pot bolted to the chassis (which the tank fits in to when in the machine, the one with the water lines)

I see in some parts diags, the two handles on the top of the tank have probes hanging down, and also some kind of microswitch or sensor at the top of the giotto casing, towards the back. I dont have any of this... missing, or a different revision? (classic?)

pic attached, blue arrow pointing at two wires

Ian at Dimattina also recommended removing and cleaning the water level probe. it has two nuts, should i remove the smaller one on top or the entire thing (right from where it mates to the boiler). Im guessing its like this so the probe depth can be adjusted through the larger nut? :)

is this updated wiring? (white instead of grey wire to pstat?)

I forgot to take pics, but I pulled all the panels off, washed them in soapy water (inside and out), cleaned them with some stainless steel cleaner and re-fitted them all. With the exception of the front panel which is much duller than the others from wipe-downs, etc.

cant wait for my sinus infection to piss-off so I can taste the coffee this thing is making. pours look lovely, no idea what it tastes like though! hahaha

Wow, okay, I just stumbled across a nice PDF review document of both the orig ECM giotto (which I have), and a revised model (rocket).

The PDF has some very detailed photos of the internals of both revisions. Some observations:

- Im missing a metal panel that sits under the top cup warmer
    - my water tank sensor wire has an earth wire bolted to it! which is probably shorting out the sensor wire, therefore, my giotto isnt saying "hey bro, your water is low". Check my pic above and compare with the pic attached here (one white wire here)

I wonder if this machine was plumbed-in once...

pics attached are metal tray under cup warmer that i dont have, and the earth wire which is going under the chassis? my earth wire is terminating to my water tank sensor.

TC

Hi James- you have just one of many variants. Nothing unusual about your machine whatsoever. Will all of the respective variations, some do, some dont. Its all dependent on when the machine was built.

Chris

ok cool. the water tank level sensor has me thinking though. should the ground wire from the control box ground on the same terminal as the white water tank level wire? hrmmm.

Also, emailed you back about the chassis :)

Quote Originally Posted by 59727E76605E130 link=1321079232/26#26 date=1321246490
    sounds like it given the missing drip tray bottom (no evidence of it being broken) and shorted water tank sensor - slightly concerning that they moved the EARTH rather than moving the sensor wire, since if you get a live short to the case, YOU will become the earth... Make sure this is on an RCD circuit and look for an earth bolt under the chassis to see where it might have been originally.

Okay, from looking at other pictures, the two wires on the one terminal is wrong, and would probably be done (from what I can tell) if this machine was plumbed in to mains water.

The earth looking cable in other pics goes through hole under the chassis, then, I assume, bolts/connects to the big metal pin that is inside that water housing receptical thingo.

The water in that housing must be above the level of the regular tank water level sensor, and be conducting current between that terminal, and the big metal pin (the one that opens the water tank valve when the water tank is installed?)

Can someone confirm that the wire should connect under the giotto, to that big metal pin sitting in that water tank pot?

Id have to say, this machine was plumbed in, the water tank level sensor would need to be shorted out, full-time, to trick the control box in to thinking water was avail full-time, otherwise "plumbing in to mains water" wouldnt work.

I think Im on to something here :)

heres a pic I took from a machine that is "correct". this green wire that looks like an earth lead, goes through a hole in the chassis, to the underside, I presume, attaching to the big metal pin inside that round plastic housing that the tank sits in.

The white water tank sensor plugs in to the side, green wire to the big metal pin. makes sense. If the water level in the plastic pot is above the sensor (white metal wire tab), then the control box knows theres water avail. if the water drops below, it tells the pump and boiler to turn off.

Im on the right track? :)

agree! there is an earth bolt in the corner near the pump, and it checks out okay visually (clean, and with wiring).

Agree that the water sensor wire would be best moved and earthed with the other wire! not the other way around!

Quote Originally Posted by 676F67606A6C0E0 link=1321079232/29#29 date=1321247513
    Quote Originally Posted by 59727E76605E130 link=1321079232/26#26 date=1321246490
    sounds like it given the missing drip tray bottom (no evidence of it being broken) and shorted water tank sensor - slightly concerning that they moved the EARTH rather than moving the sensor wire, since if you get a live short to the case, YOU will become the earth... Make sure this is on an RCD circuit and look for an earth bolt under the chassis to see where it might have been originally.

Well, I moved the earth to under the chassis on to the metal pole in the water tank holder. Machine still working fine, will let it run out of water and check for operation. It must be working, because if it wasnt then the machine wouldnt heat up or pump.

Also tightened a bracket that holds the pump to the chassis, was loose. Runs a little quieter now :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4368646C7A44090 link=1321079232/33#33 date=1321339698
    Well, I moved the earth to under the chassis on to the metal pole in the water tank holder. Machine still working fine, will let it run out of water and check for operation. It must be working, because if it wasnt then the machine wouldnt heat up or pump.

Also tightened a bracket that holds the pump to the chassis, was loose. Runs a little quieter now :)
    Its probably the pump. I replaced one on a 5 yo machine last week for a big improvement.

what is probably the pump? was just saying that one of the bolts that holds the pump bracket to the chassis was loose, a little tightening and its less rattley now :)

I do have a spare ulka on hand in case of emergencies, you never know! gotta have coffee! hahaha

the plot thickens, my wiring fix of the water tank sensor worked, tried it a moment a go by removing the tank and drying out the tank holder (where the sensor is) indeed, the machine turns on but does nothing at all. As soon as I connect the tank I hear the boiler turn on.

On another note, first thing this morning first switch on from cold), the machine tick/clicked about 10 times before actually starting to heat up. It sounded like it was trying to turn the pump or boiler on (relay clicking sound).

Reading in to it, I found it could be a capacitor on the gicar control box is on its way out. Just great. hah. Subsequent machine uses its fine (like if I switch off at 7:30, then use the machine again at 10AM, its fine, no clicking)

perhaps a "crystalised" cap or similar. like so: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/02/espresso-machine-brain-repair.html

dunno if that link will work.. hrmm

TC

Thats a board on the way out James.

You will be up for a new one shortly... :(

Chris

hahaha, brilliant. Im changing the subject of the thread, removing "bargain" from the title ;)

eh, for a $500 outlay plus a $300 control board (if you DIY) its still a bargain... Dont ask me what I paid for mine!

$500 plus a new base plus a board, its closer to $1k...still a bargain. Add in other electrical work and major clean/descale...closer to $1300...still a reasonable price on the cheaper end. At least youll know its in perfect working order after that!

Well.. who loves updates? and pics!? I know I do!

Today I went to Dimattina for a cupping session and while I was there I picked up a new shower screen and group seal. I also asked Ian (the techo) about my control board and advised there was an RS electrical shop down the road..

I picked up a bag of capacitors to do a replace job on the control board myself, why not eh... this may or may not solve the tick tick tick sound that Im getting in the mornings, but we will soon find out. For the ticking to occur only first thing in the morning tells me "capacitors", but we will see.

When I opened up the control box I noticed that it had been opened before (screw driver marks/gouges), the board looked mint, real clean, no tampering or resoldering anywhere that I could tell. Perhaps this machine has had a new board replacement in the past. Its certainly had a re-wire. Maybe it had both done.

The caps have specific ratings, the one on the Gicar board was a 105c temp rating, the best I could get at the time is an 85c, which should suffice, Ill keep my eye on it. In any case, I de-soldered the orig cap, and soldered on the new one, put the machine back together and crossed my fingers. It fired up, no probs.

While it was warming up i replaced the shower screen and seal, wow the sh1t that came out of there! damn.

Anyway, heres some pics for your viewing pleasure.

Ill let you all know if I get tick tick tick tomorrow morning! :)

Sweet!

If your board does die, a site sponsor might be able to sell you a cheap dead one for parts.

well good news, this morning, no tick tick tick sounds... a good start! See how it goes... looking good though!

Day 2 since control box fix, all good still, very happy!

I picked up an 18gm VST basket yesterday and tried that this morning, interesting, looking forward to playing with it, first shot was a little slow, so need to adjust grind some more, but interesting!

Work so far:
    - internal and external clean
    - descale & backwash
    - new group seal and shower screen
    - remove boiler water level sensor for inspection (was clean)
    - fix water tank level sensor (working)
    - fix tick tick tick by replacing power cap on control box

Money spent $450 (machine) $30 (parts above)

Work to do:
    - locate or fab a front drip tray rack
    - new feet
    - rebuild E61 lever (or entire group) replace seals, grease
    - replace indicator light (works but is dull)

Quote Originally Posted by 0328242C3A04490 link=1321079232/44#44 date=1321579930
    rebuild E61 lever (or entire group) replace seals, grease
    I would love to see a howto on this so I can do mine too... eventually.

check out frcndigital dot com/coffee/Coffee.html

in the how to section theres a useful E61 lube doc, and a full overhaul doc, with pics, notes, etc. It doesnt look at all difficult.

Good work. Dont forget there is also Jaycar and Altronics for electronic components. Although I would have thought RS would trump these 2 stores, but you never know.

Cheers

artman, thanks yeah. Jaycar may or may not stock those caps on the shelf. I could bet Altronics could.... RS was a stone throw from dimattina (which is where I was at the time), and $4 for a bag of five caps was good enough for me.. :)

I might try altronics for a higher temp rating cap and replace it again sometime soon....

anyway, 3 days now, and still no signs of existing issue. very happy

cheers

ta daaaa! experimenting with VST baskets at the moment...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast