Thread: How bad is this scale? Vibiemme Domobar Super

How bad is this scale? Vibiemme Domobar Super

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Just got hold of my first E-61 machine. Its a used Vibiemme Domobar Super approx 6 years old. Not yet been serviced or descaled. I took out the mushroom and just wanted any opinions on the degree of scale.

Had planned to use Caffeto restore machine descaler to do the job - anyone had any experience with this product?

See here for machine pics http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1321878509

Thanks

tek

Re: How bad is this scale? Vibiemme Domobar Super

very minor buildup

That is nothing really. Acid dip in citric acid for an hour or so and it will remove it without any problems. Use weak acid, 1 tbsp per quart of hot water. If that is in fact hard water, youll be able to wipe it off after and everything will come off :]

Caffeine Junky

Pretzal was this machine bought in Adelaide? If so they either had a good filtration unit or hardly used the machine. If you use non-softened Adelaide water youd get worse scale than that in 3 months.

I hope this is not to off topic, but if you are going to descale your machine what descale solution is a good one to use and why?

Are there some machines you shouldnt descale? expobar minore iv??

The machine was purchased in Melb and brought back by my cousin who was moving across. Had been used at their holiday house (dont know where). Supposedly it hadnt had much use. Given they didnt know much about it and it wasnt that clean on the outside Im inclined to believe it. Seems like a good machine and it shines real bright! I actually like this model aesthetically more than the current model so I guess thats good for me.

Is it even worth descaling?

Caffeine Junky

Personally I wouldnt bother. The more important question is what sort of water are you using now that the machine is living in Adelailde.

Congratulations on your new toy!

Ive got a brita 150 water filter from bombora so there shouldnt be any more scale build up ;) by the way there was a manky looking carbon filter in the water tank which I removed, is there any real need to have this installed? Should I get it replaced?

Yep, Im loving the new toy...with all the steam its a bit like a steam engine! Its a small step up from the bezzera in terms of steam but a learning curve nonetheless.

TC

Hi Pretzal,

Nice pickup. It looks to be in terrific condition.

I definitely wouldnt descale at this point and would never use citric acid in any machine. You will find the C150 will do a terrific job. It looks more like a little salt corrosion than anything else. Its always hard to pick in a photo though.

Do check every so often for scale and change the filters as required. You can only ever slow scale buildup. ;)

Cheers

Chris

PS: For Adelaide, Id think that Bernard would be recommending that the bypass for the filter be set at 0%.

Thanks Chris for the comments. Glad to hear you recommend I dont descale it - didnt really want to do it anyway ;D

Ill have to check the bypass out - I dont recall any mention of it, nor have I even noticed it myself. Ill definitely change the filter once its time has expired - cheaper than the alternative ;)

Thanks everyone for the feedback.