Thread: Jura E85 Brew Temperature Adjustment?

Jura E85 Brew Temperature Adjustment?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Jura E85 and since new have had to put the coffee in the microwave as it was not very hot. After recently reading the brew temperature should be ~90deg I measured the Jura and found it was only 60deg. I called Jura who confirmed it should be 85deg.

The manual gives no indication of temperature adjustment and searching google turned up nothing. Jura were very unhelpful as was the service agent. "Bring it in for a quote" was the line. No problem if its faulty but the last thing I want is to be charged a service for a simple adjustment!

Re: Jura E85 Brew Temperature Adjustment?

Some thoughts...

The E85 is quite an old model now and a long time since Ive seen one.

It it has a dedicated, separate *programming mode* that you can get into from the keyboard, there will probably be a function for setting the brew temp up or down.

If it doesnt have a dedicated programming mode for you to get into, then it probably doesnt have a way of resetting the brew temp.

In any case if it were possible, it would be in the booklet. The booklets are quite good.

If the booklet doesnt indicate that there is a programming mode that you can get into, then you probably cant reset the brew temp.

The model may have been in the last wave of models before the electronics were upgraded to incoude a programming mode.

That said, you could try contacting another site sponsor (or ex sponsor?) Gilkatho in Brisbane and if they have a better recollection than I they may be able to advise. There is a dedicated authorised Jura service centre in each capital city, and I dont believe anyone would ask you to bring the machine in for "service" if they knew for certain whether there is a brew heat programming function or not ie i believe you have spoken to people that dont know or cant remember ( a bit like me) ...because the model is long gone.

As in, do not discount that what some young sales or tech person has told you will certainly be relevant to todays models, but not necessarily to models they may never have seen and are unfamiliar with (and didnt even know existed)......the technology now incorporated in the better auto machines has gone virtually into the space age compared to how they used to be and there have been several model revisions since the E series which was one of the best machines of its time.

Sorry cant be more help.

The other part of my reply is:

It is quite possible there is nothing wrong with your machine at all and thats just they way they were......however I dont consider placing coffee ina microwave to be "normal". I ALWAYS prewarmed my cups when using such machines, by just running water into them from the steam / hot water spout, and that should do.

But the only way you will find out is by taking it in and getting someone to look it over I guess.

Hope that helps a little.

Rgdz,
    Attilio

In addition to "what he said" :)

94 degrees is the brew temperature often mentioned, but not the end result temperature, which depends on how youre drinking it and what youre used to. In a milk drink which may have 2/3 milk, the temperature will probably be the milk temperature, which shouldnt be over about 65 degC which is where it apparently starts to loose its sweetness, and at about 80 degrees I think it scalds.

It also depends on how youre measuring - running water onto a temperature probe is probably about 10degrees colder than the puck internally.

Be ready for sales people to tell you "thats how they drink it in Italy, where the machine is made, so theres nothing wrong with it", however I can assure you that they dont drink it at the 40degrees or so that our Delonghi makes coffee... anyhoo hope that helps a bit.

Well spotted Iain, yes the temp of coffee exiting the spouts will probably be less than 70 degrees anyway which is why you always pre warm your cups particularly if drinking espresso only.* And not to be confused with the brewing temperature.

However if there is the possibility to elevate the brew temp through simple programming it may as well get used* ;)

Ill see if I can dig up any info that may refresh my memory on that.

A.

Thanks for the response guys. Ive been through the menu again and no options for temperature. Ill contact another service agent and ask before taking it to anyone. I also have a friend with and earlier E series machine so Ill test his coffee temperature (as its pouring into the cup). Cheers!

Ok as luck would have it a client brought an E85 in for service and I spotted it (that was a stroke of luck I can tell you* ;))

Have just had a quick session on it and gone through programming mode myself. Can confirm there is NO "simple"* operator initiated brew temperature adjustment available on the model.

Ill go out on a limb and assume (until otherwise checked properly) there isnt anything wrong (temperatute wise) with your machine. In the very first line of your enquiry, youve basically advised that it has been the same since new.* Older autos always made coffee at lower than "spec" temps, and you should always prewarm espresso cups with hot water (from the machine is fine).* If you are making milk coffee the overall temp will be taken from the milk and there are ways you can up the temperature of the milk that comes from the frother (if you are using the auto frother). If you use the steam pipe then you can stop at whatever temp you want.

That said, I always prewarm the capp cup when using domestic autos.

Regardz,
    Attilio

My recent Jura has a steam wand attachment which is interchangeable with the auto frother. I dont know about yours, but perhaps if you could fit the steam wand, you could manually froth your milk so its hotter. Not the ideal solution, I know, but Ive never seen an auto-frother that makes "Australian" temperature milk ;)

In any case, if you take it in to get looked at, and the quote is free, what have you got to loose?

Re: ".........never seen an auto-frother that makes "Australian" temperature milk...."

Its a very easy and quick "fix" Iain* ;)

Rgdz,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by 27130412093E220E07070404610 link=1323167493/7#7 date=1323310924
    Its a very easy and quick "fix" Iain
    sorry to hijack then, but please tell :) I have a Delonghi at this place that makes luke-warm coffee - does the solution apply here, and can I do it without taking anything apart?

I think you are right ON topic mate as we are talking about temperature problems.

Quick, easy, and nothing to disassemble. All you have to do is slow down the flow of milk through the auto frother. The slower it goes through, the hotter the exit temperature of the frothed milk.

Simply place a restrictor in the pick up end of the silicon tube that goes in the cold milk. The size of the restrictor depends on the size of the silicon tube it is going into, the object is simply to make the resulting diameter of the pick up end, smaller than it was (before you slipped the restrictor in)....

To exemplify this say, cut the end off the top of the plastic tube of a biro, and slip it into the end of the silicon tube of the frother. Of course , the external diameter of a biro tube may be too small to fit into the silicon tube but you get the drift....find a piece of tubing that will fit inside the other, with a smaller ID (and isnt made of some material that will be detrimental to your health) and slip it into the pick up end and whalla...slower flow and hotter milk.

Hope that helps,
    A

Elementary my dear Watson! How simple, I cant believe I didnt think of that... even when the Jura blocked up a bit and the milk came out slower, and I noticed it was hotter, I didnt think of doing that on purpose.

thanks 8-)

no worries ;)

OK, problem solved and it didnt cost me a cent. As suggested, I tested a 2nd cup straight after the first and this time got 88 degrees! I wish I had known to put a shot through the machine first as it obviously makes all the difference.

I could never work out why my mates Jura S70 always seemed to make better coffee than mine. Tonight I tested his machine (by feel as I didnt have a meter with me) and his coffee was so hot on the first shot you wouldnt keep your finger in for long. The S70 must be better at giving a hot brew first up.

Anyway, thanks again guys for a simple solution. Much appreciated I can tell you.