Thread: Help! I think I killed my Giotto Rocket :(

Help! I think I killed my Giotto Rocket :(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    As part of my normal morning routine I placed the water tank in the machine, filled it and turned the machine on, listened for the pump to kick in and then I walked away - big mistake!* What I didnt see is that another user in the house had left the lever up with the blind filter handle in the group head.* 20 minutes later when I went to use the machine it was cold.* Now the machine turns on - I hear the clicking sound inside the machine but it does not heat up.* Have I killed my machine?*

Re: Help! I think I killed my Giotto Rocket :(

i want to keep this short and say i know how you feel. I have a expobar minore iv. Before this a few machines back i had a kitchenaide. I left the button pressed in and on for brewing coffee which pretty much dried the machine out and all i was left with was a bad smell, a machine that turns on and a clicking sound. That sound i traced back to only being the pump for my machine. Did i hear right it turns on but the machine doesnt prime?

It may be just your pump, but please dont quote me. leaving the blind filter in could mean im way out of the ball park. But i hope for your sake its just a pump. Cause what you have explaned is what i had after i found it like it was.

good luck, i know what you are feeling..

i forgot to add, i dont know if it will help but here is a basic parts diagram of the machine

http://www.slideshare.net/samuraik/rocket-giotto-parts-manual

TC

Hi sharanderson,

Am I correct to assume that the pump no longer operates when you raise the lever- or does it operate and the machine just fails to heat?

Cheers

Chris

Guys,

Of course you havent killed it, at best youve killed the pump, and at worst, nobody knows until they take a look and do a diagnosis.

Procrastination will only leave you without coffee for longer......take it in for breakdown service.

Rgdz,
    Attilio

Thanks for the replies. Please forgive my lack of technical terms. When I turned the machine on I heard the pump pulling the water from the tank. When I came back into the kitchen there was some steam coming from the holes in the top where the cups are warmed but the pressure gauge needle had not moved. Now when I turn the machine on I hear a click inside the machine but because it is full of water the pump does not go on. The pressure gauge still does not move. Sorry if this post is not clear - it must be the coffee withdrawal.

TC

I am with Attilio,

Take it to a service agent who will get it right for you.

Thanks Attilio and Chris. Yes, taking into a service centre is the most logical but unfortunately not the most practical at the moment. The machine is full of water and the service centre is not the easiest to get to at the moment.

I think I am just amazed at the timing of my machine breakdown. I have just been talking about replacing my grinder and Ive been enjoying reading the posts in that section.

TC

Ok sharanderson,

I feel as if I am pointing out the obvious here.

Your options are to randomly source parts that may perhaps have failed and hope that someone has appropriate skills and tools to replace them safely and without causing further damage to the machine. Chances are that that will be a case of trial and error and may ultimately prove more expensive than having a technician do the work for you. Off the top of my head, the problem could be caused by parts or a combination of parts costing a couple of dollars through to a few hundred dollars.

My advice is to empty the tank, find appropriate packaging if required and have it repaired. The alternate option appears to have an inoperative machine.* :-?

Talk_Coffee, I thank you for your patience with my posts but I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything electrical. May I ask you how I can empty my machine when it doesnt heat up? Thank you in advance. I will take it to get it serviced in the new year. Until then I will just pull out the trusty plunger.

Quote Originally Posted by 03363B3C08143831313232570 link=1323405180/3#3 date=1323406570
    Am I correct to assume that the pump no longer operates when you raise the lever- or does it operate and the machine just fails to heat?
    Quote Originally Posted by 243F36253639333225243839570 link=1323405180/5#5 date=1323412349
    When I turned the machine on I heard the pump pulling the water from the tank. When I came back into the kitchen there was some steam coming from the holes in the top where the cups are warmed but the pressure gauge needle had not moved. Now when I turn the machine on I hear a click inside the machine but because it is full of water the pump does not go on.
    I think youre misinterpreting Chris question :)

What happens now, when you raise the lever?

The pump should come on regardless of how full it is.

hoep that helps :)

Iaindb, thanks for your clarification. I just went and turned on the machine and lifted the lever and a small amount of water came out and then nothing. Now when I turn the machine on the green light goes on, it does not heat and no water comes out when I lift the lever.

OK cool. Now I follow up by saying that I dont know any more than that ;)

Im not sure how these things work, as Ive never tried to leave my Giotto on with a blind basket in it... Either theres some safety cut-off which you have to reset (guessing) and / or the pump is dead, possibly more too.

Quote Originally Posted by 544F46554649434255544849270 link=1323405180/10#10 date=1323414492
    I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything electrical
    I wouldnt suggest opening it up, sounds like you wouldnt be comfortable buying and fitting a new pump? (and whatever else is required). Until you can get it serviced, sounds like its time to brush up on your other coffee making skills, which will make you a better all-rounded barista!