Thread: What type of portafilter do I need in my Expobar to use VST basket (18/20gm)

What type of portafilter do I need in my Expobar to use VST basket (18/20gm)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Long time since posting, I know! Found myself extra busy these days with the long hours that managing a cafe brings. And also doing quite a bit of roasting.

Ive got a great Expobar Minore that I bought from Dennis almost two years ago. I am wanting to get some VST baskets of either 18 or 22gm size.

Sooo...I was wondering what type of portafilter I need, apart from buying a naked portafilter?

Any thoughts on the flavour differences you experience with the different size baskets?

Cheers
    Chris

KJM

Re: What type of portafilter do I need in my Expobar to use VST basket (18/20gm)

As a new Expobar Minore 3 owner who has a VST 18g basket, I can say "The standard one". Not sure about the 22g basket though!

The Naked PF I bought many moons ago that Ive used on the Silvia and Oscar also fits but the handle is not angled like the Expobar ones....

Apropos flavour - I used the VST baskets on the old machines and just carried over to the new... so no data there Im afraid..

/Kevin

Re: What type of portafilter do I need in my Expobar to use VST basket (18/20gm)

ok, thanks for that Kevin. Think Ill get me some baskets :)

enjoy the expobar, their a strong machine!

Chris

KJM

Quote Originally Posted by 0D263C273D3A213E4E0 link=1324115033/2#2 date=1324185123
    their a strong machine!
    So will I be after all the lifting/moving of the thing!

In the interests of science (as Adam and Jamie would say ;) ) - I did an A/B comparison of a ristretto done with the standard basket and the VST. Not a fair comparison, granted, since the VST carries more grams!

Result: the VST was definitely nicer but the margin is pretty minor. The biggest difference was that the puck comes out better with the VST!

Im not swapping back though. The VST was better, even if that was only because of the couple of extra grams!

Cheers
    /Kevin

mft

hey chirs

whats the feedback, assuming you have the VST by now?