Thread: Gaggia Accademia - Thoughts?? Buying auto under $2000

Gaggia Accademia - Thoughts?? Buying auto under $2000

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Cant believe Im typing this...... my wife and I are looking at a fully automatic machine next year.
    She has just gained a fulltime job which means more $$$ but less time, particularly in the morning.

At the moment I currently have a EM6910 which has been faithful for many good years, but is just becoming too time consuming in the morning rush.

Ive had a quick browse and like the look of the Gaggia Accademia with its optional milk frothing potential.

My question is, does anyone have this, have any thoughts or an alternative to this machine??
    I wont be spending over $2k and it needs a fully automatic option with milk.

On the up side, this also means Ill be investing in the Behmor roaster. Once again, my Corretto is taking up too much time and space as I need to set it up each time.

Re: Gaggia Accademia - Thoughts?? Buying auto under $2000

someone just posted a similar thread not long ago, and there was a bunch of replies trying to help with ways to stay away from the super-auto!

My experience is limited, but I have used both the sunbeam, and super-autos Jura and Delonghi, and I wouldnt call the super autos quicker. After your morning shot you would have to clean all the tiny milk parts very well to remove any traces of milk; run a machine rinse; and still clean the drip-tray. You could probably get away with leaving the spent grinds until its full as they dont smell bad.

Then you would have to consider measuring your beans just for the morning shot (which you probably do now anyway) as theres no easy way of removing the un-ground portion. If youre home-roasting I wouldnt imagine you leave them in the hopper.

I also find the variables arent variable enough - theres not enough play between ground too fine and too coarse, for example, and no setting for milk temperature.

Just my second crack worth :)

Ive been using the Krups Xp9000 machine lately . It works OK. A bit noisy and very large to sit on the kitchen bench, but easy enough to operate.

I was surprised to find the super auto process is not much quicker than with my HX. At home, I can make a double flat white in 1 minute and 20 seconds -including cleanup (i timed it). How long would a sunbeam take to do the same?

Grinding is automatic anyway if you have dosered or timed grinder.
    Pulling a shot is automatic, and an HX machine with buttons instead of a lever with further simplify this step.

The only real difference in process is steaming milk. The superautos milk steaming abilities are their weak point. Terrible. Slow, cold and too foamy. Some have a manual steam wand so you can do this part yourself, and Id recommend that feature.

Superautos also need a wipe down after use, so really whats the difference?
    ....About 20 seconds, by my stopwatch.
    Oh, and a coffee that doesnt taste like cold dirt.

Flavor is a subjective thing and youll have to sample the results for yourself, but I personally found the coffee from the $3000ish Krups xp9000 undrinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by 7169676E6E7B020 link=1324290971/2#2 date=1325028562
    I was surprised to find the super auto process is not much quicker than with my HX. At home, I can make a double flat white in 1 minute and 20 seconds -including cleanup (i timed it). How long would a sunbeam take to do the same?
    If you mean a Sunbeam 6910 about 30 seconds more at least; steaming is a lot slower than on an HX.

I have come from a sunbeam and gone head long into the world of E61 HX machines and wow the steam makes all the difference plus the repedative temperature and ease of cleanup.

I have a saeco full auto down at the beach and well it drives me bonkers with the amount of cleaning, thinking of moving to a pod machine even,

IMHO keep away from autos unless ur in an uncontrolled office environment

Come on everyone, you cant win every battle! Just let people buy their super-autos and be happy, and try to recommend what is the best of a mediocre bunch. Some people couldnt be happier to microwave their milk and press a button for their shot. At least theyre not buying nespresso or using pre-ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 496D77676C65040 link=1324290971/5#5 date=1325042774
    Just let people buy their super-autos and be happy
    I had a laugh @ Misch - neverrr surrendeeeerrrrr! (I tried to do that in all-caps, but its against forum rules... damn!)

but seriously, the reason I usually chime in on posts like these is to debunk myths like "super autos are faster" or "require less cleanup" when often they arent and dont. I also try and tell people that if youre on this site, you probably make better coffee in you <$500 manual than you will be able to consistently make in your $1500 super auto.

If you still want to go ahead and buy an auto, then go ahead, and Ill still try and help it make better coffee.

Superautos are a touchy subject around here, but someone has to counteract the BS of appliance store salesmen. :) rest assured, people contributing so far are not trying to promote a brand, or coffee style, or sell equipment, beans or aiming to be elitist.

A super auto could work if you make "long whites" (long black/americano with cold milk added). This is the staple office coffee style, from what Ive seen.

But Aussies and kiwis love our velvety flat whites and lattes. Automatic milk steaming systems on super auto machines are designed to make frothy cappuccinos...so theres a fundamental issue.

Ive been able to get microfoam from a super auto by holding a mug of milk under the steam output, and manually raising and lowering the wand using its adjustment mechanism, to stretch the milk. Its a slow, annoying process, and the results are average, but thats what i do. This is why Id recommend a super auto with a seperate (manual) steam wand. But then youve just added 30+ seconds to your routine.

If i did drink "long whites" Id rather save $1000 and buy a drip machine and decent grinder. Or, even a nespresso.

The other option would be the breville dual boiler with smart grinder combo. For $1500 thats pretty automated for a manual machine and you will save time by steaming the milk while coffee is extracted.

Thanks peeps.. Some good advice.
    The steam on the Sunbeam is awfully slow and perhaps I should be looking at a different type of machine to speed things up. Havent really looked into HX machines (need to do some reading), but from what people are saying, I will save a bit of time there compared to the twin thermoblocks of the Sunbeam???
    In the end it looks like a Super is only going to save me 1 or 2 mins coupled with a reduction in coffee quality.
    Weve decided to move away from the Supers and will probably hold on to the Sunbeam for now, perhaps til it dies.
    Thanks again for the valuable input!!!