Thread: New vbm Junior

New vbm Junior

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Picked up my new machine and k3 push today and have had such a great time getting used to it. Love the gear. Upgraded from breville 800 and had to get out of the habit of dosing like mt fuji, and dealing with such great steaming pressure. Dun times ahead. Thanks cuppacoffee and talk coffee for great service and good deal. :)

Re: New vbm Junior

Hey there,

hows it going with the new machine? still enjoying it? :) Im thinking of upgrading to this in the near future...

cheers

Hey, its fantastic. Much better taste, and heaps faster to pump out 2 drinks. I actually get to enjoy mine at the same time as everyone else :P the old machine had me starting my drink when everyone else was finishing.

What are you upgrading from?
    I have experienced a hugh improvement in every way.

Very happy customer ;D

excellent...I do suffer from being the last to drink my coffee, too* ;) I have* a Gee, which is about to go in for a check-up, somethings not quite right...

Before upgrading I have the small matter of finishing my dissertation - the VBM is the carrot I danlge in front of me to get cracking* :D Im even getting into drinking a few espressos, so I can really appreciate the different flavours rather than just always go milky. I had the most beautiful coffee in Spain last summer, where I accidentally ordered a non-milky coffee, and I have been chasing that silky-smooth sweet taste ever since. Im hoping the VBM will be a step in the right direction for that. I fear that my Breville Smartgrinder might not be quite up to the task. but it might have to be an incremental upgrade.

Any particular things that you found you needed getting used to? e.g. dosing or changing milk technique? EDIT: read your first post again re mount fuji and taming the steam...doh. never mind this question then :)

Quote Originally Posted by 1A22232628337B73727B4A0 link=1325932396/2#2 date=1326153765
    Hey, its fantastic. Much better taste, and heaps faster to pump out 2 drinks. I actually get to enjoy mine at the same time as everyone else* :P the old machine had me starting my drink when everyone else was finishing.

What are you upgrading from?
    I have experienced a hugh improvement in every way.

Very happy customer* ;D

I hear you there! I made 15 in a row over xmas... On my BES820 it took the better part of an hour!

Dreaming of a machine that makes great shots and doesnt require 5 minutes for the puck to depressure!

Hi Philby
    Got mine just before xmas.What a great machine. As I become more experienced as an operator I will have a lot of fun for years to come. I also have a smartgrinder and can honestly say have not had any issues, although that could be mistaken for ignorance. Anyway congrats on the new machine and have fun.

Cheers

My VBM junior, 2 years old now, went in for a service/descale & tuneup over Christmas, but was found to have no problems so I was told to pick it up and bring it back another time!

I did learn in the process though that there was a factory recall of sorts. An early batch of Juniors received a valve that doesnt operate quite right..Im not sure what the fault is (mine appears to be working OK) but its a quick swap made at no charge to the customer...worth enquiring about if youre a Junior owner.

I am thinking to upgrade my smartgrinder to K3 too. Does it really make a big difference? Have you had a chance to do some comparisons? Thanks in advance.

I upgraded from a modified Breville Burr grinder. Not the smart grinder, was a older one. I have noticed a hugh difference. Cant comment on the Smart grinder as I have never used it, I have seen good reports on here about it though so probably not as big difference as I have experienced.

Phill :)

Ive upgraded recently from the smart grinder to a K3T and have noticed a large improvement in the body and flavour of my espresso. The pours seem to be a fair bit thicker also :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 24393D3D2933500 link=1325932396/9#9 date=1326432334
    Ive upgraded recently from the smart grinder to a K3T and have noticed a large improvement in the body and flavour of my espresso. The pours seem to be a fair bit thicker also :)
    Agreed Timmy,

The K3P might be 2 x the cost of the Smart grinder, but its in Mazzer mini territory

I got a vbm jnr before xmas and the difference in taste, performance and consistancy is huge. Upgraded from an Imat.
    Getting 6 coffess out now happens in the blink of eye and they are all consistant.

But it has really showed up the rocky ginder doserless. I cant find the right grind, it is clumping heavily and seems to need re-adjusting every few days.

Looking at some electronic grinders. Compak Fresh & Macap M4D seem to attractive at the moment. But interested in the mazzer mini-e now that it has Super Jolly sized burrs.

Ill be watching the VBM jnr threads to see what grinders people prefer.

Cheers.

Hi Marks,

Have you done either or both the teflon tape mod/stepless mod for the Rocky? If not, and you are not handyman challenged, then they are both easy and very worthwhile.

Most grinders clump at least softly. Try grinding into a separate container and giving it a shake (like thwacking the doser on a doser grinder) and/or the Weiss distribution technique.

Adjusting every day or two is a *requirement* as the grind needed changes as the beans age.

While a higher level grinder (Macap, Mazzer) will make a difference, a well-tuned Rocky is quite a capable grinder.

Greg

Hi all,
    I have secured a VBM Junior and K3 Push from Talk Coffee, thanks Chris for your help and advice! It arrived yesterday* :)
    I have the use of a naked PF for the first time and would welcome feedback on this vid of one of my [s]first[/s] earlier shots after getting the grinder something close. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGUoZJe3p70 Focus looks a little off Ill try and get that sorted for any future ones.
    Early days but good fun trying to get things sorted!

Cheers

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by 0C392E2C1C2439262A272F4B0 link=1325932396/12#12 date=1326508116
    Have you done either or both the teflon tape mod/stepless mod for the Rocky?
    Most grinders clump at least softly. Try grinding into a separate container and giving it a shake (like thwacking the doser on a doser grinder) and/or the Weiss distribution technique.

Adjusting every day or two is a *requirement* as the grind needed changes as the beans age.

While a higher level grinder (Macap, Mazzer) will make a difference, a well-tuned Rocky is quite a capable grinder.

Greg
    Maybe it is bit of upgradeitis.

Ive done the tape but not the stepless yet. I always need something inbetween. I might attempt it if I dont upgrade soon.
    Also want a faster grinder now that I can dont have to wait for a single boiler machine anymore.
    When I was getting some training from Supreme Roasters with the VBM, we had a well used (loved) Compak K (6 I think). The quality of the grinds and the speed which we could dose without a doser was brilliant.

Cheers.

I went from a rocky to a mazzer.
    The rocky is capable of great espresso but a lot more care has to be taken to get the dose volume right, and the beans must be fresh to get full thick crema - a week or so past roast date, ideally, and 10 days old is starting to push it.
    Rocky creates a bit of mess due to the clumping. I found that removing the portafilter holder allowed me to use the grinders snout to level out the clumps during the grinding process, with a slight twisting motion on the handle. This reduced channeling which I found to be a problem.

You definitely need the click-clack lid with a rocky! Thats the best upgrade.
    The Teflon tape does work but i also found the grinder carrier screws had loosened, so check their tightness every few months when you clean it. Didnt try the stepless mod but now wish i had...

Mazzer, by contrast, produces light fluffy grounds, virtually no mess, and the coffee is more consistent, blondes later and tastes richer with more body. An average mazzer shot is what i would strive for with the rocky, but a VBM and mazzer (or any similar grinder) are capable of producing truly amazing coffee. As i drink milk drinks (flat whites and machiattos) i feel this is the ultimate setup for convenience and flavor in a domestic kitchen and m happy with the upgrade, but it is expensive.
    I managed to sell my rocky for a reasonable price. A secondhand rocky is still a great option for someone on a budget so they should remain popular even with Smart Grinders on the shelves now.

Going Naked with my VBM ;)

chris2012

Thanks for all the tips on the VBM Junior guys, this model has just been released here in Australia (Im in Sydney.)* Four months ago I bought my first real Espresso machine, A VBM Picolo, which I love, but Im a bit sorry I didnt go for a heat exchange or twin boiler machine in the first place.* The waiting gets a bit frustrating from time to time.

So Ive made the decision to upgrade from my Picolo to the new Junior.* And after having read all your comments, Ill be doing it sooner rather than later.

Keep your eye out in the For Sale section soon for a really good, 4 months old VBM Picolo.

Thanks for your help. ;)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 525943584203010003310 link=1325932396/17#17 date=1327548313
    this model has just been released here in Australia
    Hello Aroma,

The VBM Domobar Junior was released in March 2010, so I am a little unsure of which machine you may be referring to here?* :-/

The current iteration of the Domobar Junior has upgraded from the early Mater and later Jager pressurestat to a commercial Sirai unit (circa December 2011), so perhaps that has confused you? Theyre a great little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 5853495248090B0A093B0 link=1325932396/17#17 date=1327548313
    Keep your eye out in the For Sale section
    Do keep in mind that you need to wait 2 weeks- per site sales and posting policy ;)

Chris

chris2012

Quote Originally Posted by 7F4A47407468444D4D4E4E2B0 link=1325932396/18#18 date=1327551226
    Quote Originally Posted by 525943584203010003310 link=1325932396/17#17 date=1327548313
    this model has just been released here in Australia
    Hello Aroma,

The VBM Domobar Junior was released in March 2010, so I am a little unsure of which machine you may be referring to here?* :-/

The current iteration of the Domobar Junior has upgraded from the early Mater and later Jager pressurestat to a commercial Sirai unit (circa December 2011), so perhaps that has confused you? Theyre a great little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 5853495248090B0A093B0 link=1325932396/17#17 date=1327548313
    Keep your eye out in the For Sale section
    Do keep in mind that you need to wait 2 weeks- per site sales and posting policy ;)

Chris
    Hi Talk_Coffee, the machine thats just been introdcued to the Australian market is the Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX.

Thanks for the reminder about the 2 week rule and no. of posts required prior to a For Sale post.

Cheers from Sydney ...... Chris

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 2823392238797B7A794B0 link=1325932396/19#19 date=1327552254
    Hi Talk_Coffee, the machine thats just been introdcued to the Australian market is the Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX.
    Gday Aroma,

Tell that to CS member mono... He has the first VBM Domobar Junior HX (i.e Heat exchanger) machine we sold- 2 days after its Australian launch in March 2010. Hes just one of hundreds who have purchased one in the last 2 years.

Perhaps its just been released at your supplier* :-? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 5C696463574B676E6E6D6D080 link=1325932396/20#20 date=1327552809
    Tell that to CS member mono... He has the first VBM Domobar Junior HX (i.e Heat exchanger) machine we sold
    Hah, well Ill be damned...........numero uno :D

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 320A0B0E001B535B5A53620 link=1325932396/0#0 date=1325932396
    Picked up my new machine and k3 push today and have had such a great time getting used to it. Love the gear. Upgraded from breville 800 and had to get out of the habit of dosing like mt fuji, and dealing with such great steaming pressure. Dun times ahead. Thanks cuppacoffee and talk coffee for great service and good deal.* :)
    I have VBM jnr + K3 (although touch) too!
    Great combo. Steam pressure took me a bit to master. :)