Thread: Expobar Minore II is upgrading to a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione a good idea?

Expobar Minore II is upgrading to a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione a good idea?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I currently have a Minore II (tank model) its 3 years old still looks and works like new.

Im thinking is that I would like to buy a Giotto Evoluzione as I want to plumb it in, but still have the option to be able use the tank.

Do you think that this is a worth while upgrade would there be any performance gains with the Giotto or would I just be wasting my money? Is there any other options that would be better in this price range?

What would be a fair price to sell the Minore II for?
    I still have the box and manuals and all original parts, the machine is in wonderful condition, it works* perfectly and still looks fantastic.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jono

TC

Re: Expobar Minore II is upgrading to a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione a good idea?

Hi Jono,

You have a few options- Giotto EVO, Alex Duetto, LM GS/3 or the Iberital handy. All can be plumbed and run from tank. The Alex has most in common with your Minore II as its dual boiler PID.

Id think something in the 1.1-1.5k range should be achievable dependent on how moch someone wants it and condition.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. I guess what I have to way up is there going to be a noticeable taste difference between the machines or if the price difference to go up to the Alex Duetto is justifiable? Is there anything extra special about the Alex Duetto that makes it really stand out?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 00252425151D232626272F384A0 link=1326856693/2#2 date=1326912477
    Thanks for the info Chris. I guess what I have to way up is there going to be a noticeable taste difference between the machines or if the price difference to go up to the Alex Duetto is justifiable? Is there anything extra special about the Alex Duetto that makes it really stand out?
    Hi Jono,

Your minore allows you to play with temperature should you choose. If you wish to continue to do that, you will need to replace it with a dual boiler. If you havent with the minore, you will definitely love the Giotto. Its a terrific machine.

NSW duatto dealers are Cuppacoffee, Di Bartoli and Jetblack and all have demo machines.

Cheers

Chris

your other ( cheapest ) option is to get the minore converted to plumbed and forgo the tank option. this is around $700?

Because as you know the minore is a great machine and your $2k+ upgrade will be incremental not monumental to your shots.

I looked into the plumb in conversion earlier, i like to take my machine away with me often so this is not an option. We are doing up our kitchen (as you can see from the photo it needs it) and was just interested in this option to choose mode.

I dont really play with the temp settings much so I guess the dual boiler(pid) is not a must, its just that the difference in price new is a lot less than upgrading again later. So I want to be sure I dont spend 90% of the price of the Duetto on the Giotto and regret it.

Is the the fit and finish of the Duetto as nice as the Giotto? I live down the coast so its hard to see these in person.

TC

One thing to keep in mind Jono. Both are >30kg, so they dont quite "pop in the boot" quite so well ;)

Cheers

Chris

Ive got a big boot and help the Minore travels well the Duetto is on the large side.

anyway youll have no problems flogging the expobar at the right price on this forum..

cant comment on the giotto but the finish on the Alex is really great as is internal build quality so if guess of your moving it around a lot thats good news. check the pics on the alex duetto link for some inside pics.

the other issue if its bouncing around in the boot which once repairs the easiest? ;D

I can assure you it wont be bouncing around anywhere my Minore would get packed up in the original box each time and tied down, so no problem with that.

Brettly do you wake up each day and look forward to seeing the Duetto in the kitchen or do you sometimes wish it was something else?

Im starting to think I like the Izzo more now. Such a hard choice.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 62474647777F414444454D5A280 link=1326856693/9#9 date=1326958009
    I can assure you it wont be bouncing around anywhere my Minore would get packed up in the original box each time and tied down, so no problem with that.

Brettly do you wake up each day and look forward to see the Duetto in the kitchen or do you sometime wish it was something else?

Im starting to think I like the Izzo more now. Such a hard choice.
    Would you look forward to seeing this?

An owner machine http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1260516382/97#97 8-)

I think in a few days I will be waking up to one of these Izzo Alex Duettos. My wife likes the look of it too, Ill just have to find somewhere for her to sleep.

jono yes i am delighted with the izzo and if you can live with the upgrade price you will not be disappointed.

however to make sure you go in with your eyes open, there are a few caveats, please read my review

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1260516382/150
    ( reply 166 ) .

i have plumbed it since the review and you should:
    1. organize filtered water for your machine supply,
    2. get an "at the machine" pressure reading
    3. get supplier to calibrate for your plumbed pressure ( which in my case is 0.75bar higher than tank pressure) not the tank pressure.

i was at philip island last week using my mates Expobar Minore and it is a great machine but you can definitely "feel" the differences. [ many subtle differences but steam pressure most obviously is much more robust]

Do I wish for something else? i do have a fantasy of the Kees Van Der Western Speedster.........

Well I pulled the trigger and thanks to brettly and TalkCoffee(Chris) Ive got an Izzo Alex Duetto III and its almost plumbed in(Ive installed a new tap under the sink and Ive run all the drainage pipe work just waiting for my Brita C150 kit to arrive to finish it off) and it works like a dream. Im glad I went with this machine it looks great and feels well made a little rough on a few panels though, but overall it is a well thought out design.
    Ill post up some pics and and a better review soon. Thanks again Chris for all your assistance.

Jono

good one jono. look forward to your experience.

also forgot to mention that Chris says to put a water pressure regulator 350kpA BEFORE the filter unit, ie on the water supply side to the filter. This will prevent overpressure from high mains water pressure ( which we have here in Melb. - about 500kpa i think)

TC

Re: Expobar Minore II to Alex Duetto!

Quote Originally Posted by 5E4E5948484E595D5E453C0 link=1326856693/14#14 date=1327476455
    Chris says to put a water pressure regulator 350kpA BEFORE the filter unit, ie on the water supply side to the filter.* This will prevent overpressure from high mains water pressure
    Jono has a C150 with the works Brettly- so hell be fine.

Looking forward to the pix Jono 8-)

Chris

Hi guys,

I got the c150 kit today man the filter is huge. Its a lot bigger than it looks in the pics. I also have a problem I can only hook up the water filter drinking tap up to the bench for now. The kit doesnt come with any parts to plumb in the coffee machine Ill try and get a tee piece tomorrow hopefully Bunnings sells them (we dont have much choice where I live). I guess itll be manual filling for a while till I get this sorted. At least I dont have to empty the drip tray.

My family is down visiting and they are loving the extra coffees and hot beverages Ive been making them. I made my Neice her first babichinno(sorry about the spelling) today she loved it.

Any tips for getting off the glue left behind from the protective plastic sheeting?

Ill try and post some pics soon.

Jono, congrats on the unit & Ill be traveling in the same path as you in a few months on the Alex! In regards to glue remover I would suggest Eucalpytus oil, natural and great at this sort of removal? I think youll also find it good to clean stainless to!

Best of luck with the C150. Ill be interested to read you review once its all bedded in.

Jonty

Thanks for the tip Jonty, you wont be disappointed with the set up its wonderful to use and so quiet just cant wait to not have to fill another tank ever again.

I found out from Chris that the part I need was just missing from the pack he sent me Ill get it soon in the mail. The drinking tap went in ok it was a bit tricky with my cupboard design but over all Im stoked at the outcome.

Does anyone know if you are supposed to use Teflon tape on the machine inlet tread as it very hard to get to, I dont know if Id be able to put any on?