Thread: Unico Splendor, What do I do?

Take_Five

Unico Splendor, What do I do?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a Unico Splendor which is about 4-5 years old and requires around $1,200 to fix, new boiler and power board plus.

Whilst I really like the machine, I seem to have had quite a few maintenance issues and am wondering whether to spend the money or put it towards a new machine.* I would even consider another Splendor.*

I would like some feedback if possible from other owners of machines or professionals in this range and what they recommend and why please.* I am sure there are a lot of good machines but I have no technical knowledge of them other than I want a great coffee.

I make about 3 cups a day but really like good coffee.*

Thanks

TC

Re: Unico Splendor, What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by 5F6A606E544D627D6E0B0 link=1330045139/0#0 date=1330045139
    I have a Unico Splendor which is about 4-5 years old and requires around $1,200 to fix, new boiler and power board plus.

Whilst I really like the machine, I seem to have had quite a few maintenance issues and am wondering whether to spend the money or put it towards a new machine.* I would even consider another Splendor.*

I would like some feedback if possible from other owners of machines or professionals in this range and what they recommend and why please.* I am sure there are a lot of good machines but I have no technical knowledge of them other than I want a great coffee.

I make about 3 cups a day but really like good coffee.*

Thanks
    Gday take 5. CosmoreX coffee are the Australian importer for the Unico Splendor and Id suggest you may like to discuss your plight with them. Who knows- there may be some old machines from which parts can be sourced for you or alternately, perhaps some sort of trade may be possible... You can only ask!* :-?

If CosmoreX are not close, Id suggest you get a 2nd opinion from a competent tech as your quote sounds outrageous to me. FWIW, I have never replaced a boiler, so I wonder if youre being upsold on bits you dont require.

Good luck and let us know how you go... ;)

Chris

Re: Unico Splendor, What do I do?

Welcome to CS Take Five.

I am at a loss to understand why there have been "quite a few maintenance issues" as the machine is amongst the best engineered, built and finished semi commercials on the market. They do of course like any other brand / model, need regular operator maintenance and like all others will require occasional service intervention.

I also cant see why any semi commercial, Splendor or otherwise, would need a new boiler at any time of its life let alone after 4-5 years when the machine is barely run in.....we dont keep "spare boilers" in stock as you would never sell one and in the last 12 years of selling these brand machines, have never required one......it would require a special order from the factory (which by the way can be done right at this moment, as we have a consignment of machines being picked up from the factory at the end of next week).

Requiring a new auto fill box does however happen from time to time, and the box is a gicar unit which is not only the best coffee machine electronics on the market, but is also used by 99% of all brand machines....

If its any consolation, I wouldnt hesitate to take a Splendor home to my place and in fact have done so from time to time. It is a very nice machine.

At that age the machine is most probably the V1. If we take the quote for repairs at correct face value then I would ceratinly put the money towards a new one. Also the V2 model (Splendor Maxi) has some improvements that make it a nicer machine to operate such as ball jointed steam and hot water pipes, and an enhanced steam delivery. The V1 is distinguished by having a shorter, radial only* movement steam arm while the V2 has longer free moving arms due to the ball joints.

I would be interested to know the serial number, and the reason for needing to replace the boiler, and does it have anything to do with the quality of the water in your area.

If we can help, please do not hesitate to let us know (but not of course through this site, by contacting us direct during working hours).

Hope that helps,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor