Thread: noobie pointers

noobie pointers

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Hi All
    Ive got some more noobie questions

Ive been having a bash as dialling in the correct grind and itís been fun.
    Unfortunately last year sometime I pulled my saeco machine apart looking for the issue that was causing all the terrible coffee. After a process of elimination I was shocked to find that it was a bad batch of beans (two packets from two different stores but the same brand were tested too!!!) that was making the coffee taste like burnt iodine. Anyhow I diverge. The upshot to all this is that I have 1kg of just awful coffee to play around with.
    Yes I know the purists will be wanting to bitch about how Ive contaminated my grinder with rancid oils, but for the moment I dont care. Im just trying to get things in the ballpark to start off with.

Anyway down to business.
    Im still trying to get a handle on the 30ml in 30 seconds bit. I think I dialled in a good extraction but it comes out as more like 60ml in 30 seconds. Now I have the portafilter that splits the coffee into two separate paths however I have been using only one cup to collect the extraction. Just how is this 30ml measured? If I had a naked portafilter would it be 60ml in 30sec????

The other couple of things I noticed.
    1) sometimes the spent puck is stuck to the shower screen. Is this an issue? or symptomatic of something bad?
    2) if the puck is in the filter basket there seems to be a pool of water on top of the puck when I remove the portafilter prior to knocking it into the knock box.

Apart from that WOW Im just loving my new setup. Tooo much fun!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Re: noobie pointers

Hi jquin,

Im still trying to get a handle on the 30ml in 30 seconds bit. I think I dialled in a good extraction but it comes out as more like 60ml in 30 seconds.

If you are using a double basket, then you should expect ~60ml in 30sec. A single basket would give you the 30ml in 30sec.
    Do you own a shot glass measuring cup? If so, with the double spout portafilter, pour espresso into your usual coffee cup under one spout and the measuring glass under the other. You should then see the 30ml in 30sec in the measuring glass. A naked portafilter should not change the volume or timing of the shot.

Also, if you are using older beans from last year for practice, chances they are well and truly stale by now and old stale beans will not pour the same as good fresh beans. Stale beans will not have the oils needed to provide the extraction resistance and will always pour much quicker than fresh ones at the same grind setting, therefore needing a much finer grind to get the right timing/volume.

The general consensus around here Ive noticed is that it is a bit of a false economy practicing on old/poor quality beans, as youll never get a great coffee from them, and good fresh coffee beans will always require a change in your technique when you get them anyway, so might as well use fresh beans from the start.

As far as your Question 1, I think a puck stuck to the shower screen can indicate underdosing? Happy to be corrected if wrong.
    Q 2., not exactly sure, ? also an underdosing issue.

Hope this is of some help.

Good to hear you are enjoying your set up, sounds like you should be producing some great shots in no time once youve got the hang of it.

Paul

Thanks for your response.

I think Im going OK then with my 60ml which seems about right.

The old coffee was used to play around rather than test how good it might taste. It is really horrible and should never have been sold. So I was just seeing how sensitive chainging the grinder settings were to making the extraction time change.
    I was also practicing how repeatable my tamping was.
    In anycase Im basically done now.
    I do have some HQ beans that I am doing my real testing with in the morning :)
    I did notice how much I had to change the grinder settings when going to the good beans.
    Its all lot of fun so far.

Every different type of bean will require grinder adjustment as will the same bean as it ages over several days so adjusting the grind is continuous depending on many factors such as age of the bean the humidity etc etc etc. Welcome the the world of Coffee Snobbery - just when you think you have it right everything changes ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 574C4854533D0 link=1330432562/0#0 date=1330432562
    The other couple of things I noticed.
    1) sometimes the spent puck is stuck to the shower screen. Is this an issue? or symptomatic of something bad?
    2) if the puck is in the filter basket there seems to be a pool of water on top of the puck when I remove the portafilter prior to knocking it into the knock box.
    Try the 5 cent test or the rice test. It will help you with the dosing/tamping level. Do a search in coffeesnobs.

Thanks, will do