Thread: Rocket Vs Musca Vs junior Vs ?

Rocket Vs Musca Vs junior Vs ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I currently have a sunbeam 6910 and a Compak K3T Touch. The group collar on the sunbeam is wearing out (again - it was replaced under warranty once) and i think its time for a replacement.

I am only really low use, but i enjoy a good cup and have become a coffee snob. I make 2 cups every morning and then fire it up if we have a dinner party. It also gets a couple extra cups on the weekend of work.

I am located in SA and I am currently considering the following with approximate price (Internet price and a local price listed):

Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
    ~Net $2.5k + ship, local $2.7k

Vibiemme Domobar Junior
    ~Net $2.2k + ship, local $2.5k

Nuova Simonelli Musica
    ~$2.2k local

Also i was suggested the cheaper
    Nuova Simonelli Oscar ~$1.2k (local)

I can deal with smaller water tanks as i generally only fill up 1 Litre on my sunbeam so the water is fresh.

I was told all 3 machines over the $2k will make great coffees and the main difference was how it looked on ur bench top. The Musca takes up a lot of bench space.

Are any of the $2k+ machines much better and worth the extra $1k over the Oscar?

Any recommendations for certain machines?

thank you for your time!

Re: Rocket Vs Musca Vs junior Vs ?

I think the La Musica is the only volumetric in your list - is that required?

Its not all about looks, some are definitely better than others with pipe diameter, pressurestats, etc, but I cant rattle off the exact differences. Have you visited Jetblack in Adelaide? It really is worth viewing and playing with the machines "in the flesh". Someone like Jetblack should be able to tell you more specifics about each. Otherwise TalkCoffee is very good at machine comparisons if you want t do that remotely.

Good luck!

cheers for the reply. nah, volumetric is not important to me. i use the manual mode of the sunbeam and that is what i am use to.

i thought jetblack was NSW?? ill have to have a google

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 222B27272F384A0 link=1330728355/2#2 date=1330744572
    cheers for the reply. nah, volumetric is not important to me. i use the manual mode of the sunbeam and that is what i am use to.

i thought jetblack was NSW?? ill have to have a google
    Yes- NSW. 9Bar and Coffee craft are both SA. Jetblack is Cremorne (Sydney).

As for your machine choices, the top end major players are built to an entirely different quality standard. Comes down to what you want I guess. I am yet to see inside the Musica, but was told its essentially an Oscar in a sexier body.* As to how accurate that might be... :-/

We also have some terrific numbers on Diadema at present. They are well worth a look as few machines come close on finish. Theyre beautifully built as well.

Chris

Sorry my bad, its 9bar thats just moved to Adelaide. Thanks Chris :)

CHeers for the reply Chris.

So essentially the machines are very similar for performance and quality? Therefore it comes down to the features each machine offers and the look/feel of it?

What kind of life should i expect for the machine (assuming it is looked after)?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 232A26262E394B0 link=1330728355/5#5 date=1330829189
    CHeers for the reply Chris.

So essentially the machines are very similar for performance and quality? Therefore it comes down to the features each machine offers and the look/feel of it?
    Hmm....not really. You get what you pay for.

Some owners have complained of cooling flushed with their NS machines. Personally, they dont rock my boat and thats why we wont range them. Re Giotto Premium/VBM its up to you. The VBM is terrific and is my travel machine of choice. I think most would agree that the finish of the Giotto Premium is superior.

What kind of life should i expect for the machine (assuming it is looked after)?
    Thats a piece of string question!

I have seen machines up to 60YO in stunning condition. Then again, I have an office client and they have ruined a Giotto Premium (despite being provided with plenty of training materials) and Ill be surprised if it goes 3 years without megabucks spent on it. Zero hygiene, steel wool and mineral water will do that for you .* :o

In Adelaide, water quality will be critical. Speak with Bombora and then follow their advice.

Chris

I own a Musica and have not used a Giotto or VBM.

The Musica is the closest in actual use to the Sunbeam of the three. You can make espresso on it as simply as you can on the Sunbeam. I personally wanted a Giotto or VBM but the wife was immediately interested in the Musica.

The First one I had was a lemon but the Supplier (Sponsor) was excellent and the Machine was replaced after the third major breakdown. Sice that (October last year) it has run faultlessly.

Basically if you want a machine that is similar to the sunbeam in operation (ease of use) then the Musica is a good machine. You can still use the buttons to play with the shot as you can self regulate the amount of water through the shot. It steams extremely well as will the others in your selections. The mechanic that repeired my first Musica told me that they are commercial grade in the internals. He services other machines and mine was the first Musica that had problems and he was aware of several other Musica users in my area.

If it were my choice I probably would have gone for the Giotto but for ease of use and the wifes input we ended up with the Musica. ;D

Yep agree the old Adelaide water aint the best. We have a filter tap which helps clean it up a fair bit.

i am not fussed with staying to a similar operation as the sunbeam. i like the look of the Giotto or VBM. If both machines are on a par, it will probably come down to price.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5E575B5B5344360 link=1330728355/8#8 date=1330845221
    We have a filter tap which helps clean it up a fair bit.
    This is unlikely to be good enough if you want to minimise scale into your machine. Bombora supplies recommend the Brita c150 as being appropriate for domestic espresso machine use in Adelaide. Id suggest you speak with them and then swap the bayonet and fliter over.