Thread: Replacement Steam Tips for Expobar Minore / Brewtus IV

earthairfire

Replacement Steam Tips for Expobar Minore / Brewtus IV

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I just bought an Expobar Minore / Brewtus IV and the standard 2-hole tip is terrible for small milk quantities.

Anyone know where I can buy tips for an 8mm insulated "cool touch" wand?

Coffee Parts sells a 2 hole tip, but Im not sure if this is any better than the standard tip.

Ideally Id like to try out the Gold Pro 2 tip, but that would require an 8mm-10mm adaptor, and I cant find either of these items from anywhere in Australia.* To ship from Chris Coffee requires minimum order of $50 + $40 shipping, which seems slightly excessive for a steam tip!

Thanks in advance,

Tim

TC

Re: Replacement Steam Tips for Expobar Minore / Brewtus IV

Quote Originally Posted by 646073756960687367687364010 link=1331185574/0#0 date=1331185573
    I just bought an Expobar Minore / Brewtus IV and the standard 2-hole tip is terrible for small milk quantities.....

Thanks in advance,

Tim
    Hi Tim,

The coffeeparts 2 hole has tiny (0.8 or 0.9mm as I recall) holes and is good to slow things down and make the job easier for those starting out.

FWIW, the Expobar tip is actually really good. Its just a matter of learning your machine. One other method is to block one hole- with some line trimmer line for example.

Good luck...

Chris

earthairfire

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

Im interested in your comment re the expobar 2 hole tip. Having gone from making beautiful microfoam on a Silvia, Im pretty frustrated at achieving nothing but really thin, hot milk after litres and litres of milk practicing.

I normally steam approx 200ml milk in a 300ml motto jug. In your experience, do you think this is achievable on the standard tip? If its just me and I need to spend more time getting to know my machine, thats good to know...

Cheers,

Tim

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5E5A494F535A52495D52495E3B0 link=1331185574/2#2 date=1331198887
    I normally steam approx 200ml milk in a 300ml motto jug.* In your experience, do you think this is achievable on the standard tip?* If its just me and I need to spend more time getting to know my machine, thats good to know...
    Hi Tim,

Can I suggest you ask a knowledgable person to have a look at what you do? Even though you have a technique which works for the Silvia, moving up is more like a commercial and requires a different technique. If youre in Melbourne, you are welcome to pop in.

I can and do texture in a 100ml jug using a similar tip. Its just a matter of practise. I have always said if you fight a machine, you lose. Sounds to me like you guys are fighting ;)

Chris

Try the water and dish soap trick for practice. YouTube it.

earthairfire

Thanks for the input, all.

I think I tracked down my issue.

With the twin tip I could make microfoam with soapy water, could make microfoam with bonsoy, but could not for the life of me get microfoam with regular milk.

When I started to practice on regular milk I bought a load of milk to practice on, but the store had run out of the normal brand I use so I ended up with the stores own organic milk.

I bought some more of the regular milk I use and practised some more last night. I got my microfoam back again. not perfect, but definately close enough to convince me practise is needed rather than a new tip.

Not sure if it was the milk, me or both, but either way Im heading on the right track. Thanks for the advice!

Tim

earthairfire

Quote Originally Posted by 6F5A57506478545D5D5E5E3B0 link=1331185574/3#3 date=1331202970
    Can I suggest you ask a knowledgable person to have a look at what you do? Even though you have a technique which works for the Silvia, moving up is more like a commercial and requires a different technique. If youre in Melbourne, you are welcome to pop in.
    Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the offer. Id love to pop in some time, if its not a massive inconvenience. Ill drop you a PM.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,* I went through exactly the same thing, as I also went from a Silvia to the Minore.* I bought the tip that coffeeparts sell and it did make a big difference, however I recently purchased the 4 hole tip that Five Senses sell.* It has much smaller holes, and has made a huge difference. I would highly recommend it.
    cheers
    David

Have you guys read this:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

It has helped my results tremendously.

Cheers

hi all,
    Im also having this same issue
    beautiful microfoam on the silvia,
    but now, having trouble getting it with the two hole steam tip.

looks like the 4 hole tip is the way to go?

Has anyone had experience with a 4 hole tip on th minore.
    The original two tip seems so hard to get the silky microfoam I was able to get with the Silvia.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 674254422D0 link=1331185574/10#10 date=1338117975
    Has anyone had experience with a 4 hole tip on th minore.
    The original two tip seems so hard to get the silky microfoam I was able to get with the Silvia.
    You need to learn the machine Joyo.

A 4 hole will make it harder, not easier.

Suggest you block one hole until you are comfortable with the new wand.

Quote Originally Posted by 075840565D565A5353505058545B350 link=1331185574/11#11 date=1338157508
    A 4 hole will make it harder, not easier.
    Not necessarily. It depends on the size of the holes. The 4-hole tip mentioned earlier in the thread has much smaller holes than most tips use. Ive modded my Faema to use a tip with the same 4 x 0.9mm holes as the mentioned tip, and it works great - really easy to get great microfoam with!

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 694247472B0 link=1331185574/12#12 date=1338182503
    Not necessarily. It depends on the size of the holes. The 4-hole tip mentioned earlier in the thread has much smaller holes than most tips use.
    Yes- you will find that it performs similarly to a 2 hole with one blocked. Its about slowing things down whilst youre learning.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the 2 hole tip but many coming from a small single boiler find them hard to come to grips with. More often than not when a little technique is demonstrated, the problems miraculously disappear. Fight the wand and you will lose every time.* :-?

Nevertheless, I am sure that the bits boys will happily stock them and sell them to those who feel they need em. ;)

Thanks for the feedback,

I understand that it might be technique, but even if it does get some mircorfoam its no where near what I could produce with Silvia

I might try to block it first, if that fails I will try the one from five senses
    Thanks