Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Any thoughts on ECM Technika IV Profi?

Alexc

Any thoughts on ECM Technika IV Profi?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I visited a sponsors store and liked the look of this machine but would love some feedback from the CS community on their experiences with it.* Any comments about levers vis a vis knobs also welcome - I read someone say levers arent any good because your hand gets hot when frothing the milk.

Suggestions regarding other machines to consider are also welcome!!

Im upgrading from a la pavoni europiccola and want something that can froth milk a lot better and produce more consistent shots as well as bigger capacity. Really good built quality is also important as Ive struggled when the pavoni has needed to be in for extended service and repairs......

Thanks for your help.

Re: Any thoughts on ECM Technika IV Profi?

I was at Di Bartoli today to pick up my machine from servicing and saw that they had a brand new Technika IV on display. This particular one was in white. Its an extremely nice machine. Everything looks and feels well built. Worth checking out if you are in the market for a new machine.

Im not entirely sure where this person you talk about is putting their hand so that it gets hot while frothing milk though ...

Due to some birthday money coming my way I'm the market for a new machine and I also saw this in a site sponsor the other day. I was originally thinking a Giotto (as most people do when looking to buy) but was impressed by Technika... but am a little hesitant as there's not info about it on here, or HB, or CoffeeGeek!

Anyone with some info, experience, thoughts etc on it?

Cheers!

I bought one 2 weeks ago now. But due to working interstate I only get a chance to play with it on the weekend.

I upgraded from a Gaggia Classic machine which i'd been using for 4-5 years. What I liked about the ECM Technika IV Profi was the fact it was a German machine which had the looks and solid build to go with it. The levers are a really nice addition which also set it apart from many of the other machines i'd been looking at.

As everyone knows though, in this pro-sumer range of machines you cannot really go wrong. They all make a good cup of coffee and the internals are fairly robust and are fairly easy to get replacement parts for.

I've noticed that this machine doesn't need much of a cooling flush, if at all. Looking at others videos of the Giotto and Isomac machines they get flash boiling and steam coming from the group. I'm really only seeing water, makes me think the machine might be a little more thermally stable (noticed the same thing on the Technika machine at Jet Black which they use now for the barista courses). The steam is very powerful and the 2 hole nozzle is easy to work with. It is fairly quiet for a vibration pump machine.

I've paired mine with a Compak K3 Push, which was recommended to me. This has worked very well so far.

I'm getting fantastic results, i've noticed a great improvement in my espresso shots (I'm sure my gaggia ran too hot!) and micro foam so far has been a sure thing. Just have to work on getting it a little bit wetter for latte art :P

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Huhness View Post
    I've noticed that this machine doesn't need much of a cooling flush, if at all. Looking at others videos of the Giotto and Isomac machines they get flash boiling and steam coming from the group.
    G'day Huhness,

I am glad you are happy with this machine. You may however have eliminated other options when you didn't need to or as the result of incorrect aassumptions.

I guess that this is one of the limitations of the internet. Machines are configured for different markets and anyone is free (within reason) to post whatever they like on the internerd.

If you viewed a machine from a different continent such as Europe or the USA, the cooling flush you saw would be expected. Their machines are configured to work with darker roast and for this reason need to run hotter.

Your statement does not apply to any Giotto Premium Plus or Plus V2 machines which have been imported through traditional channels into Australia. As I understand, it no longer applies to Isomac either. It would almost certainly apply to machines which are grey imports.

Prospective purchasers of a variety of machines are too frequently deterred when they read or watch stuff which is either old or patently incorrect. In this case, it may well have been both.

It's always best to speak with someone who knows and can offer informed opinion on the mountain of misinformation out there.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by TC; 17th July 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Huhness I was looking at importing one when I first started looking for a new machine, good to see that they are giving the results I thought they would

Yeah no properly set up HX should cough and splutter. Even my 7 year old Isomac Millennium no longer does after putting a restrictor in the thermosyphon loop. I'm going to look at the site sponsors and buy from one that properly sets the machine up temperature and pressure wise, so that's not really a concern for me.

I am curious however why so few people seem to say much about them and fewer seem to have experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespbeasley View Post
    .....I am curious however why so few people seem to say much about them and fewer seem to have experience with them......
    Are you referring to the machine model that is the subject of this topic, or to the subject of "restrictors"?

Also I am curious as to what you hope to achieve by stepping from a millenium to the other? A well set up millenium should already be making high quality commercial espresso. I understand that after 7 years you will be wanting a change to some kind of newer machine, but I would be sus if you are seeking some kind of hitherto unobtained espresso nirvana ie expecting a big change in the quality of the espresso, which I honestly dont think you will get.

That said, I'm all for upgrading every few years due to age and reliability factors just like when we upgrade any other piece of equipment.....
    Last edited by Fresh_Coffee; 17th July 2012 at 03:40 PM.

I would like to bump this thread back up, as I am also interested in the ECM Technika IV

If anyone has any actual experience of this machine - good, bad or otherwise - then please chip in

I saw it demo'd at Di Bartoli and to my not-very-expert eyes it looked pretty good. Compared to a Giotto it seemed slightly better built in terms of fit and finish, and seemed to have superior milk frothing

Is member Huhness above the only person here who has one or has tried one?

I own a ECM technika and love it, Great steam capabilities, I chose it for the large boiler, good space between the steam tap and group head and the thermosyphon option, very easy to service with the parts from coffeeparts. On the down side it has a very large foot print and I changed the steam tip straight away. I coupled it with a mini mazzer and what a team!!

I'm in the market for one of these bad boys and headed over to Di Bartoli yesterday afternoon to give it a bit of a run down. For point of reference, I'm upgrading from a PID'd Silvia. Thanks so much to Ofra for the excellent customer service and interesting and honest opinion.

I started off playing with a V1 Rocket Giotto Premium plus as the Technika was still warming-up. I pulled a couple of shots on the Giotto and my girlfriend offered to test out the steaming capabilities. All good and I liked the cool-touch steam wand.

The Technika on bench is a rotary pump Technika IV Profi. The version on the bench at Di Bartoli actually has a switch underneath the drip tray to switch it over from tank to plumbed. Ofra informed me that this actual machine doesn't use the switch at all yet. There is a shipment coming into Australia in October which will be fully switchable between tank and plumbed in.

I pulled a couple of shots and made a Cap and was well impressed. The finish of the machine is just better than the Giotto IMHO. The steaming performance appears to be better as well (no expert here, but again, my opinion). Unfortunately, there is no cool-touch steam wand, but I can live without that. The machine is also very quiet. I was so impressed with the machine that I put down a deposit for one of the new shipment coming in October.

Looking forward to it

EDIT: This is a link to ECM's website where it states the update to the machine about the switch-over function.

http://www.ecm.de/1/espresso-machine...s/technika-iv/

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    I'm in the market for one of these bad boys and headed over to Di Bartoli yesterday afternoon to give it a bit of a run down. For point of reference, I'm upgrading from a PID'd Silvia. Thanks so much to Ofra for the excellent customer service and interesting and honest opinion.

I started off playing with a V1 Rocket Giotto Premium plus as the Technika was still warming-up. I pulled a couple of shots on the Giotto and my girlfriend offered to test out the steaming capabilities. All good and I liked the cool-touch steam wand.

The Technika on bench is a rotary pump Technika IV Profi. The version on the bench at Di Bartoli actually has a switch underneath the drip tray to switch it over from tank to plumbed. Ofra informed me that this actual machine doesn't use the switch at all yet. There is a shipment coming into Australia in October which will be fully switchable between tank and plumbed in.

I pulled a couple of shots and made a Cap and was well impressed. The finish of the machine is just better than the Giotto IMHO. The steaming performance appears to be better as well (no expert here, but again, my opinion). Unfortunately, there is no cool-touch steam wand, but I can live without that. The machine is also very quiet. I was so impressed with the machine that I put down a deposit for one of the new shipment coming in October.

Looking forward to it

EDIT: This is a link to ECM's website where it states the update to the machine about the switch-over function.

Technika IV
    I got this machine a litle while back and am very pleased with it. It's paired with a Quamar M80E grinder (comparable conceptually to the guts of a Mazzer Super Jolly paired with the electronic doserless system on a Mazzer Mini Electronica)

The good points of the Technika are that it is easy to make great espresso with. Once it's warmed up (30 mins, or 15 at a push if you're happy to push a few blank shots through the group head once the boliers up to temp) it makes a consistent shot with an easy to manage cooling flush regime. If you're making back-to-back shots no cooling flush is needed. If you leave the machine longer than 10 mins, simply flushing a cup full of water through the portafilter to clean the group head kills two birds with one stone. If there's just a few minutes break between shots, a couple of second flush seems to work fine for me

I love the clean lines that help show-off the gorgeously engineered E61 head. It seems a beautifully made machine, with an engineered feel rather than the more romantic aesthetic of the closely related Giottos. The flick levers for steam and hot water are a doddle to use, though have an action that could be a little smoother if I was being picky. The 3 litre tank is big enough, but if you get busy it drains surprisingly fast. However if portability is a must then it's by no means a major issue. You just need to keep an eye on the water level as the low level cut out has a murphy's law-like tendency to catch you out mid-shot. Luckily refilling is very easy with a wide hinged lid allowing unobstructed accees to the tank. The drip tray is plenty big, solid, smoothly finished and super-easy to rinse clean. I like the way the drain valve from the group head dumps waste water cleanly into the drip tray. The rotary pump is a nice-to-have feature and suits the overall teutonic efficiency of the machine

Steam-wise, I'm finding the ECM a dream once you get used to the extra horsepower. I find I can steam enough milk for a large flat white in the time it takes to pull a double shot, and (when I get my technique right) it makes perfect velvety microfoam. No issues with the stock nozzle for me

In terms of portability, it's just about do-able. The bulk and weight of it are such that carrying it more than about 25m or negotiating steps require care and committment! It's worth investing in a small trolley if you move it often

A few quick words on the grinder. I took a bit of a risk on this one as there seemed to be little out there to refer to in terms of reviews. Since buying it, this review came out of the doser version, M80. I agree with the comments made in the review on the M80 and can just add a few points on the doserless aspect of the M80E:

It doses quickly and cleanly with no lumps at all - Comparable to a Mini Mazzer Electronic, but noticeably quicker. The control system is easy to use with adjustment down to 0.05 sec, and 1, 2 & 3 -cup presets. My only gripes are that the touch control for manual dosing is not easy to turn on/off reliably resulting in the occasional spillover, and the hopper is too large for domestic use and has a slightly "cheap" feel that lets down an otherwise high quality impression. Overall, though it is consistent and controllable with a satisfyingly well-engineered feel to it. The ground coffee it puts out looks and feels very even

Together with the ECM I'm very happy with the coffee I'm making and to be honest, day to day, I hardly think about the equipment now I've got used to it. I try quite a lot of different coffees, so the focus is on the coffee not the machines, which just quietly get on with their jobs

Thanks for the informative review mate.

Thanks for the informative review mate.
    No Worries. Last weekend this set-up got a good workout, given it's used mainly in a domestic setting making just a handful of coffees per day. I ran 4 sessions of about 20 shots back-to-back per session. Mainly for flat whites with a few short and long blacks. It performed like dream, flattering this amateur barista - Making twenty coffees is easier than making one

Tried some interesting coffees, too - I can recommend the current Market Lane Espresso blend from Market Lane in Melbourne (various Guatemalan estates), plus from Mecca (Sydney) their Dark Horse blend, currently African origins, and a sublime Panama single origin (Esmeralda) which, too be fair, is not really best appreciated as an espresso coffee (akin to speed-reading Shakespeare?)

Site Sponsor

Looking forward to it

Technika IV
    Thanks SimonC for the time spent in our store! We're glad you've found the one for you, I'll keep you posted as soon as the new batch is here!

Ofra

Site Sponsor
    My 2 cents worth on Knob vs Lever:

We do like the steam lever taps. The difference in our eyes is more with speed of steam and what enables a better milk texture. We found that flicking the lever up is fast and immediately generates full pressure, which allows you to shift your focus straight away into the jug and to the angle and depth the wand is submerged in the milk. This allows you to position your jug correctly straight away, and 'buy more time' for few more whirlpool motions around the wand before the milk has reached its optimal temperature. Generally speaking, that will give you quicker microfoam consistency, particularly if you're novice, and will get you closer to latte art free pour where the most important factor is a spot on texture.

Anyone is welcome to drop by the shop and see if that works for them as well!

Ofra

I have had a technika profi for over three years now which I bought while living in Greece. It has worked faultlessly producing excellent consistent coffee from day one. The machine has the levers (profi) and I find them much better to use as the previous poster said , allowing instant steam. Build quality is first class and the machine still looks like new. Recently I had the machine checked and cleaned and the technician was very impressed with the machine. All up I can vouch for the quality and longevity of this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Di_Bartoli View Post
    My 2 cents worth on Knob vs Lever:

We do like the steam lever taps. The difference in our eyes is more with speed of steam and what enables a better milk texture. We found that flicking the lever up is fast and immediately generates full pressure..

Ofra
    I have never used these steam lever switches but I must say I can't see how, in principle, they would be as controllable as old fashioned steam knobs. With knobs you can slowly open the steam and therefore control power and speed. Surely, when it comes to steaming, particularly smallish quantities, control is the main thing and I can't understand how a no power to full-power switch can accomplish that. Now, if the switch does allow calibrations of speed, then maybe it would be a different matter.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
    Surely, when it comes to steaming, particularly smallish quantities, control is the main thing and I can't understand how a no power to full-power switch can accomplish that. Now, if the switch does allow calibrations of speed, then maybe it would be a different matter.
    The steam delivery system has already been calibrated to deliver a manageable amount of steam power when the valve is fully open. The system is easy to use even if you're steaming milk for one small coffee.

charlie

I made a little video the other night of pulling a shot on my Technika It was my first attempt at using iMovie, so please excuse the low production values :P

ECM Technika IV Profi Rotary Espresso Extraction - YouTube

After 9 years of service, my trusty old Nuova Simonelli Oscar packed it in 2 weeks ago. Although it wouldn't have cost much to fix, I was looking for an excuse to upgrade to an E61 machine, so was not too disappointed.

I started looking at the Giotto Premuim Plus V2, but was really impressed with the ECM Technica in terms of aesthetics, and seemed to get good reviews on the forums.
    I was told by a friend that I should just get a grey import for a few hundred dollars cheaper, but I'm so glad I decided to get it from Di Bartoli instead. I ended up having a minor issue with the machine, but Ofra and the team were fantastic and really went out of their way to ensure the machine was perfect and I was completely happy. It really goes to show it is worth paying professionals for quality service instead of trying to cut corners and buying it online for the sake of a few bucks.

I have now had my beautiful Technica for 1 week, and could not be happier. Consistently makes perfect espresso, and I'm slowly getting used to the loads of powerful, dry steam. I would highly recommend the Technica for anyone in the market for a HX E61 machine, and strongly suggest getting it from a reputable dealer.

Good to hear everyone is enjoying their machines. I love mine!

I picked up my Technika from DiBartoli last weekend. LOVE IT!!! Ofra and Renzo offered fantastic advice. Could not be happier with this machine. Thanks Di Bartoli!!

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Clonetrooper View Post
    I picked up my Technika from DiBartoli last weekend. LOVE IT!!! Ofra and Renzo offered fantastic advice. Could not be happier with this machine. Thanks Di Bartoli!!
    Thanks Clonetrooper, thanks for the great feedback, it has been absolutely a pleasure meeting you and assisting you with getting into the 'real deal'! Looking forward to hear how your espresso making is coming along!

Ofra

Question

Guys,

I stumbled upon a video that JetBlack Espresso put up on Youtube of them making some coffees.

ecm technika 6 caps - YouTube

I noted that it takes a good 10 seconds before any espresso begins to pour in all three extractions. I get espresso appearing on my naked portafilter in about 4 seconds, yet my espresso is great. Is there a reason why my pours appear sooner? See my video in a prior post on this thread to see what I'm going on about

Cheers
    Simon

Thats strange my shots are very similar to what is seen in the video, the brew pressure builds up to 10-11 bar in about 5-8 seconds. How long does it take to build your pressure? Are your shots gushers? How long is your full extraction?

EDIT: I just saw your video and your brew pressure is up there the whole time (it doesn't even drop like mine does if you start a shot above 2-3 bar), even before you pull the shot. I'd say that would have something to do with it.

Might be a characteristic of rotary pumps? I've never used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Huhness View Post
    Thats strange my shots are very similar to what is seen in the video, the brew pressure builds up to 10-11 bar in about 5-8 seconds. How long does it take to build your pressure? Are your shots gushers? How long is your full extraction?

EDIT: I just saw your video and your brew pressure is up there the whole time (it doesn't even drop like mine does if you start a shot above 2-3 bar), even before you pull the shot. I'd say that would have something to do with it.

Might be a characteristic of rotary pumps? I've never used one.
    Yes I do think its a characteristic of rotary pumps. Vibration pumps give a gradual pressure build up while rotary pumps reach their pressure much quicker. I one better than another for home use? The following article might shed some light:

Differences between a vibration pump and rotary vane pump on espresso machines

Thanks, I never really looked into the differences. I just knew the rotary was quiet. I think that explains everything.

Keep on brewing Simon!

Actually, the pressure gauge on most machines with a rotary pump never reads the "brew" pressure, it only reads the "pump" pressure, which is set by the PRV.
    This is due to the much higher flow rate of the rotary pump which is restricted by a jet (the gicleur) to slow down the flow to the puck.
    with the lower flow from the vibe pump there is no restriction at the jet and the pressure gauge reflects the brew pressure build up, first from the PI valve, and then the puck.
    SimonC ...what does your "brew" pressure gauge read when you flush the group with no PF ?
    Huhness.. compare that to the same situation with the Vibe pump. !

1-2 bar I think. Sometimes I do a flush to release the pressure back to between 1-2 bar.

Quote Originally Posted by blend52 View Post
    Actually, the pressure gauge on most machines with a rotary pump never reads the "brew" pressure, it only reads the "pump" pressure, which is set by the PRV.
    This is due to the much higher flow rate of the rotary pump which is restricted by a jet (the gicleur) to slow down the flow to the puck.
    with the lower flow from the vibe pump there is no restriction at the jet and the pressure gauge reflects the brew pressure build up, first from the PI valve, and then the puck.
    SimonC ...what does your "brew" pressure gauge read when you flush the group with no PF ?
    Huhness.. compare that to the same situation with the Vibe pump. !
    I'll have a look tonight at the pressure tonight without the group. I'm also using a VST 18g ridgeless basket. Not sure if that makes any difference. Thanks for the info guys.

Did a test this morning. As soon as the pump activates without the group on, I hit 8 bar. It then lingers at about 8.5 bar...

Hi guys, long time lurker.

I just picked up one of these over the weekend from Jetblack Espresso.

I started off with a PID'd Lelit 41 and sunbeam grinder... Wife bought me a Compak K3t for my birthday last month and ever since then ive wanted a HX/DB machine.

My shortlist included the Giotto v2, VBM super and the technika and I ended up with the technika due to the lever controls (was a hard toss up between the giotto and the ecm!)

Pros for the giotto were 1) its a giotto, 2) cool touch steam wand. Ideally if the ECM added cool touch i think itd be quite perfect and check all my boxes.

Got it home and dialed it in - interestingly my grind settings used on the Lelit were pretty spot on for the ECM as well (although I had to adjust the dose)

the espresso shots are something else! I noticed a massive improvement over the lelit.

In terms of milk I kept worrying about making some dishsuds so I think i was being too gentle at the start and didnt stretch the milk enough. After a whole jug of practice i think ive almost got the milk to an acceptable latte-art worthy glossy microfoam.

PS - do you guys recommend running a water filter? If so whats a cheap, easy options (im renting and cant plumb in a tap)

Hi Sticky,

You can get benchtop filters/softeners from Bombora (sponsor). A few other sponsors also carry them i believe (ie talk coffee). They go for about $120'ish and can connect to an existing tap without the need for under bench plumbing or any modifications, apparently. I'll be getting one myself very shortly and possibly looking at a technika profi as well!

Which version did you get? Vibe pump, rotary? Does it have the tank to plumb switch?

oh and a question that i cant find much info on, how is the access to the water tank? is it a completely removable top with an open jug, or do you have to pour through a small hole in the tank?

Site Sponsor
    There's a lid that hinges open giving access to an open tank,

charlie

Cheers! I forgot to ask in the email i sent off this week.

Looking to purchase one of these machines, any more thoughts/ problems with them from owners ?

All good - still loving it

All good - still loving it
    Let me think about it...

...Nope, no problems at all. It's great. It just works and I love it

Ordered a mechanika IV profi and mazzer mini,can't wait to get them. No techs left in brissy, only difference is the mech has a ss wire @ the cup tray, looks good ( +$150 cheaper)

Quick question for the Technika owners. I'm in the USA and one of the (few) retailers that carries it here says there is no plumbable drain capability. When I look at the manual though, it says yes you can drain it, but you'll have to drill a hole in the bottom of the drain pan to do so. Then it goes on to say there is a connection in the back too for the hose. So I'm a bit confused.

Any owners been down this path with their ECM and know the scoop? Draining was one of my "checkbox" items and I otherwise really like the looks of the Technika IV Profi. Thanks!

Sorry eelpout, this isnt a reply to your query, however I FINALLY pulled the trigger on a switchable Profi rotary from Di Bartoli! I've been umming and aah'ing about a new machine for about 6 months and would have purchased a month ago if it weren't for some redundancy dramas at work. Thankfully I was one of the lucky ones to keep my job and so Mr Tax Man's money back this year has been spent!

Very excited and as much as i love my little la pavoni, i cannot wait for this machine to be on the bench!

[QUOTE=eelpout;486034]Quick question for the Technika owners. I'm in the USA and one of the (few) retailers that carries it here says there is no plumbable drain capability. When I look at the manual though, it says yes you can drain it, but you'll have to drill a hole in the bottom of the drain pan to do so. Then it goes on to say there is a connection in the back too for the hose. So I'm a bit confused.

Any owners been down this path with their ECM and know the scoop? Draining was one of my "checkbox" items and I otherwise really like the looks of the Technik

I have the mech iv profi, same as the tech but slightly different outer dimensions. The base of the drip tray has a recessed plug ready to cut out for a drain, the tray sits high enough above the bench to allow a right angle elbow fitting.. The drain pipe could then pass under the machine to exit with the water in line.
    By the way im loving it, great machine.

Hi,

I am looking to get an ECM Technika Profi iv matched with a Compacy K3 Push Grinder. I have seen these units on line at Jetblack in Sydney and this forum seems to mention Di Bartoli a lot which also seems to be in Sydney.

I am in Melbourne - does anybody have a suggestion for coffee outlets of a similar calibre to Jetblack &
    Di Bartoli here in Melbourne ?

Thanks

machine outlet in melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwall View Post
    Hi,

I am looking to get an ECM Technika Profi iv matched with a Compacy K3 Push Grinder. I have seen these units on line at Jetblack in Sydney and this forum seems to mention Di Bartoli a lot which also seems to be in Sydney.

I am in Melbourne - does anybody have a suggestion for coffee outlets of a similar calibre to Jetblack &

Thanks
    You could try Talk Coffee in Melbourne he has lots of good advice and good machines to look over.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwall View Post

I'm also interested in having a play with an ECM in Melbourne. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the Melbourne based site sponsors stock them (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I have seen the ECM Barista in a coffee shop in Mornington and the website of a fairly reputable espresso shop in Hampton (not a site sponsor ) lists the whole ECM range. The Hampton shop didn't have any ECM's on the bench to play with though.

I bought a Technika IV Profi two weeks ago. it was an upgrade from a Lelit Combi which I had used for almost two years. The espresso machine purchase was an afterthought (!), as I had just moved up in the grinder world to a Mazzer Mini Electronic and was so impressed with the improvement in my espresso shots that I started thinking about better thermal stability and higher steam pressure. I wandered into Jetblack Espresso absolutely certain that I would be walking out with a dual boiler of some kind (I was expecting that it would be the Izzo Alex Duetto), but had a chat and was told that HX versus DB was really a bit of a non-issue (this conversation probably saved me over a grand). Looked for Technika reviews on the web and, although sparse, the reviews I did see looked very positive. The Mazzer's grind counter is now up at close to 300 single shots in three weeks (I've been working hard to dial in the new machines as well as improve technique) so I've used the Technika a lot. I can certainly say that the quality of the pours has improved again and I'm starting to get the really viscous dark brown pours that I've long coveted at my favourite cafes. Build quality is exceptional, the steam and hot water levers are brilliant, and steam pressure is (as hoped) high. It's truly a delight to work with and I don't have any feelings of upgraditis on the espresso machine. I think it's been mentioned a few times in other reviews, but the only improvement I would suggest is cool touch steam and hot water wands. Other than that it is pretty much the perfect HX machine.

I keep hearing how good this machine is, and I wish I could say the same. My experience is poles apart from everyone else.

It makes a great coffee when it's working, but mine has spent over 5 weeks being fixed in the first year, and I only make about 4 cups a day on average.

I've had at least 4 separate and unrelated failures within the first 12 months, including the pump failing to pressurize correctly, a cracked water tank, failed water sensor so the machine thinks there isn't sufficient water in the tank. It's just come back from its from being fixed for the 3rd time in 12 months. It now takes over 60 seconds to rather loudly refill the boiler after pouring 100ml of hot water and it doesn't seem to want to pressurize properly again either. 25-30 seconds to get to 9bar even when using a blind filter.

Quote Originally Posted by RampantCod View Post
    I keep hearing how good this machine is, and I wish I could say the same. My experience is poles apart from everyone else.

It makes a great coffee when it's working, but mine has spent over 5 weeks being fixed in the first year, and I only make about 4 cups a day on average.

I've had at least 4 separate and unrelated failures within the first 12 months, including the pump failing to pressurize correctly, a cracked water tank, failed water sensor so the machine thinks there isn't sufficient water in the tank. It's just come back from its from being fixed for the 3rd time in 12 months. It now takes over 60 seconds to rather loudly refill the boiler after pouring 100ml of hot water and it doesn't seem to want to pressurize properly again either. 25-30 seconds to get to 9bar even when using a blind filter.
    Just to mitigate a little of the doom and gloom, I should update with some additional information that I was unaware of when I posted yesterday. The issues, bar one, were actually all as a result of the same core issue that manifested itself a couple of times. I'm assured by the guys at JetBlackEspresso that this was a manufacturing error that has subsequently been rectified.

I'll also take a moment to thank Charlie and the team for fantastic service in getting this issue resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtW View Post
    I'm also interested in having a play with an ECM in Melbourne. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the Melbourne based site sponsors stock them (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I have seen the ECM Barista in a coffee shop in Mornington and the website of a fairly reputable espresso shop in Hampton (not a site sponsor ) lists the whole ECM range. The Hampton shop didn't have any ECM's on the bench to play with though.

Did anyone have any luck finding a retailer in Melbourne? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast