Thread: In Hobart and Need help finding machine and grinder

In Hobart and Need help finding machine and grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I have been occasionally browsing this site for the last two years. I have put off getting a coffee machine until my home renovation is complete. Well its almost done.
    I drink a few piccolo lattes a day and want a machine and grinder to do the same as I get from my favorite local coffee shops.My wife likes weak lattes and I also like the occasional expresso as well as the piccolos. I am slowly giving up the milk! I want something that I can also make a few coffees for dinner guests. Things cant be overly complicated as a am a noob.
    I am happy to spend up to $3000 for the machine and grinder and the rest of the gear to get me started.
    So where do I go from here? Any local companies? Am I best to order from somewhere interstate?
    I am hoping to buy something in the next few weeks. Like to serve some nice coffee to friends at my grand opening dinner party in my newly renovated house.

TC

Re: In Hobart and Need help finding machine and grinder

Welcome to the CS community kmcgreg,

You have a very realistic budget and plenty of options.

My suggestion is to peruse some machines and choose a few you like the sound of. I can then tell you what I dont like about them ;)

There are no perfect machines, but a little discussion will assist you to match yourself with the most appropriate gear for you. Do be careful to allow enough for a good grinder. With your budget, Id suggest a minimum of Compak K3 Push.

We have many Tasmanian clients, some of whom are now on their second machine with us and yes, we can arrange service as required in Hobart.

Please feel most welcome to call for a chat.

Chris

Thanks for the advice. My budget is fairly flexible. Main things is getting something worthwhile - on the other side I also need to please the wife by taking up as little bench space as possible. Most domestic units seem ok though in this regard.
    Love to find somewhere local to do a short course. I am sure I will work things out along the way though.
    Not sure really where I can peruse machines. Might have to take a punt based on reccomendations and web pics.
    I feel like a real noob when comes to equipment. Love coffee though!

Im sure Roz would be happy to give you a lesson http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1327486168

With your budget and if coffee at dinner parties is your thing a single boiler like Silvia probably wont cut the mustard tho. Youre in double boiler/heat exchange territory (can pour shots/ steam simultaneously). The breville dual boiler is popular but really there are so many options you need to discuss with a decent retailer (not department store) - they should be able to provide a crash course on using a mcahine thats more than enough to get you started.

I dont know if any CS sponsors are in tassie (anyone?) - any trips planned to the mainland ahead of your grand opening?

I agree the it will need to be a double boiler/heat exchange.
    Originally I was looking at the Breville dual boiler and smart grinder but thought that there is likely to be something of better quality out there than something you buy at a dept store with better assistance.
    I am seriously considering flying to Melb or Sydney to look at lounges and coffee machines as both cant be found in qualilty here.

A direct flight with Virgin and day trip to Canberra - visit CS sponsor Cosmorex and Kings Furniture (both located at Fyshwick - next to the airport).

Roz

Id be happy to help dial in a new machine ;)

You would be looking at a nice quality HX PID with a decent grinder for your money, but you may be able to get away with a dual boiler and grinder for that sort of money.

K3 Push as a mininum and whatever machine tickles your fancy, Talk_Coffee have some great deals on, the Izzo and K3 on offer in Sydney is a bargain :o

Its a shame you have to go out of the state to get what you need but Im not sure if there would be enough market in for selling the high end machines in this state.

Thanks Roz, you seem to have an assortment of gear- I like the look of the compak K3T for a grinder. That seems like the easy part - you have a breville and a Silvia?

Roz

Silvia is my old machine, its a good shot machine with a PID but not cut out for any more than a one person coffee machine. Breville is a much easier and fullfilling machine when it comes to multiple coffees and the coffee it produces is excellent but I still consider it an appliance and I will retire it one with with an Italian built machine when $ permits in a couple of years.

Before I bought the Breville I was originally going to get a Vibemme Domobar Junior, Chris has sold many of these to CS members and everyone enjoys the machine.

I would aim for something around that and a good grinder, if you go to melbourne to look for couches then you might as well organise a session with Chris to pick a machine that suits you best and then have it shipped down.

The Izzo on offer with the K3 Push would be very tempting considering the saving, if you know anyone in Sydney it would be a no brainer.

Ok some more pointy questions. Will I need anything special in terms of higher amp power for these machines or will a normal socket be ok?
    I have thought a bit more about what I want:
    1: Prefer to use a normal socket if possible without rewiring- just finished wiring and plastering!
    2. Will be tank only
    3. Want enough clearance to fit mugs under
    4. Produce good expresso and easily make enough milk based coffees for up to 8 guests in a reasonable time.
    5. Power consumption - something that warms up quick or has a low power consumption in between use.
    6. Looks great in my open plan kitchen/ dining room - I know that sounds lame
    7. Pump thats not ridiculously loud
    8. Robust machine that should last and is relatively easy to maintain
    9, Live in Hobart so access to service if there is problems would be good.
    As said before, my budget is very flexible
    I have had a good look at talkcoffees site...
    The following apeal but I dont know of all the specs:
    Vivi and Alex Duetto : Great deal on the Izzo Vivi - but sadly I cant pick it up as I dont live in Sydney.
    Giove II
    Vibiemme Domobar Super
    Any comments.
    Grinders: Anyone know a good one that doesnt take up too much bench space? My wife is going to freak when sees how much space is going to coffee in our small kitchen!

TC

Hello kmcgreg,

You will find the specifications to each machine in a downloadable .pdf file on each equipment page.

As for your other questions, I reckon I can cover them off in <5 minutes on the phone. You are welcome to call. ;)

Lastly- I think you should consider the VBM Domobar Junior in place of the Super.

Chris

Roz

K3 Push with the short hopper doesnt take up too much bench space, a Mini electronic with short hopper would also take up minimal bench space but at double the price for similar performance.

The Domobar Junior and K3 would be the best to take up the minimal bench space, lots of users with the same combos, great price, great quality so its really hard to go wrong.

You can learn quite a bit from the videos Scottie Callaghan has done for the espresso company, both on a Domobar Super and Giotto Rocket, the same principals apply.

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to-domobar.htm

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/how-to.htm

I also have a small kitchen and my setup which takes up a big corner is my partners biggest gripe but she lives with it* 8-)

If a quiet machine is a priority, Id be pushing the Izzo Alex Duetto a bit higher on the list especially considering a certain very good deal going on at the moment. 8-)

My head is sore from our renovations..too many choices and decisions. Now coffee machines... I am going to call talk coffee tomorrow for a chat. The Domobar Junior and K3 touch sounds like a good value buy.
    I assume that all the machines carried by CS sponsors allow the user to make a decent expresso and milk based coffee.
    So it comes down to issues such as aesthetics, low energy modes, ability to fiddle with some variables for the enthusiast, type of pumps, ease of refilling tanks etc.
    Aesthetically I also like the Diadema junior regal and the izzo vivi.
    Too many decisions! After spending all weekend trying to pick colors of paint for the house and debating it endlessly with my wife, I am getting a color consultant.
    So now I need a coffee consultant! Talk to you tomorrow Chris!

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4147494D584F4D2A0 link=1332238977/13#13 date=1332670239
    Aesthetically I also like the Diadema junior regal and the izzo vivi.
    Yes, the Reale has that slightly different, almost art deco ish chassis, which was what won me over (suits our kitchen perfectly). Great machine too. Good luck whatever you do.

Hi Chris...been onsite at our house all day and in the car picking kids up from School. Will try to call when finished. I printed out the PDFs for most of the machines you carry and have read through them while waiting on tradesmen to turn up at the house.
    As as a heads up, my thoughts are the Rocket Giotto Evolusione seems to meet most of my needs:
    Tank
    Quiet with Rotary pump
    Normal plug/power requirements
    No burn steam wands
    Smallish footprint
    Nice aesthetics

I assume it has enough grunt to make coffee for up to 8 guests
    Not sure about heat up times or power saving measures.
    So I will catch up with you soon.

TC

No worries kmcgreg,

Chat soon... ;)

Chris

Ok CSs...thanks for the help. Getting closer to a decision now.
    Rocket Giotto Evolusione and Madcap M4D grinder.
    Now just need to work out what sort of kit of accessories I need. Going from nothing to a good machine will be a learning curve. Will need to find a local barista course to do. Might even be able to convince my wife to come along.
    Wish my house was coming along this quickly...
    If you think being a coffee snob is expensive then try rennovating a house from the 1870s!

Roz

:o A renovation a period home would be expensive but it sounds like you will have one hell of a coffee kit to go with it. Its funny how you start out thinking basic and you end up with one of the top domestic machines you can get, you wont regret the decision that is a definite.

But I can recommend 3 places straight off that bat that to buy great roasted coffee from locally, you should know them by now :)

Villino - (largest local roasted selection 3 blends and usually 6 or 7 great single origins on offer roasted fresh and sometimes I will grab a bag if Ive been too lazy to roast my own)

Yellow Bernard (house blend and singles on occasion from Gridlock roasters in Melbourne)

Pilgrim (house blend by Axil, singles may be available from Proud Mary, Market lane, Axil, Gridlock)

Accessories - knock box, good tamper, 600, 400ml jugs, tamp mat and patience! It will take you a while to learn but once you nail your technique consistently it will bring a smile to you, your wifes and your guests faces.

Start with the Scottie video from Espressocompany that will get you started, Im not sure of any good local barista courses but I would be weary of Tafe or anything such. Maybe one of the local cafes can help with that.

The absolute must thing is to always start with fresh roasted coffee up to 3 weeks old, most peak around the 7-12 day mark so take that in mind if you are buying from the locals or ordering online.

Let me know if you are keen on learning home roasting down the track? I can run through a roast or two on the i-coffee my treat :D

Thanks Roz, I havent tried Villino nor Pilgram yet. I love Yellow Bernard...great coffee.
    I cant wait to buy my gear... 2 to 3 weeks and I can move back into the house. Then its about 4 weeks til the final touches are done such as glass splash back etc. I will order my coffee stuff as soon as I move in.

I have a funny story....was at dinner party and my one of my kids in her early teens overhears us chatting about coffee.
    She pipes up and yells out that "Dads been on this site on the Internet constantly called Cofffee Sluts! The room went deathly quiet.... Dinner was with the kind of people you really dont want explain yourself to. Especially saying that it was coffee snobs and not coffee sluts. I decided to make a joke of it and said the site had girls dressed in the odd coffee bean demonstrating the need for no burn steam wands.
    Somebody immediately changed the topic to water meters!
    Ahhh the joys of kids!

Time for a wine! Have a great weekend everyone.

Petition Andy to change the name? I for one say I. Hilarious. ;D

How is your decision going?
    Im from Tassie and I dealt with Chris as well. Have a VBM Domobar Super, a Mazzer Super Jolly electronic, and a small kitchen. Some things just have to take priority ;)
    And I home roast... If youve got the time, its addictive!

Hi ...I decided on the Rocket Giotto Evolusione ...still considering the grinder...most likely the macap m4d.

I will be purchasing from talk coffee. Just trying to get my damn home Reno finished. Kitchen is partly installed, bathroom nearly done.... 2 more weeks to go before the house is at basic living standard. Probably 6 weeks till all is done.
    However, my birthday is in mid June and I want to be drinking my own cofffee by then. So I will be ordering as soon as I have place to put it.

Hi,
    Thought I would post a couple of pics of where this coffee machine is going to go and where my kitchen reno started (actually house reno but will stick to the kitchen).

Original Kitchen/Dining Area

After removing chimney, floor boards, rotten joists and a wall.

Starting to rebuild

Yahoo new kitchen partially complete.

Nice renovations greg! Must be costing you a fortune. Im in a very similar position with the family kitchen getting renovated and have asked the designer to incorporate a coffee bench area including piping and drainage for my soon to be setup (which is still non-existent atm).

Looking to spend $3k as well, good luck and keep us updated :)

Hi kmcgreg,

May give you a litle insight into the giotto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sI3whEENGk

I had a laugh, @inthecup. What happened to your nice spotty robe? ;) The only thing that gets to me about the evoluzione is the side panels... I would prefer the Celiini Evoluzione, but I dont think its sold in Australia?

PS: Love the sound (or lack of) from a rotary pump.. gawshh..

I had a laugh.

I do like the Celiine as well as it reduces the width of the machine, which when I was purchasing mine was a factor as I dont have a big kitchen. That said the side pannls give it a uniqueness different from other brand offerings.

Into the home straight of the Reno and time to get my coffee machine before I run out of cash!
    A couple of new pics now the splashback has gone in.

Putting the coffee machine near the power point where the jug is sitting.

So a couple of final questions regarding accessories.
    How many jugs and sizes .. I was thinking two jugs rattle ware latte art jugs ..one 600ml, and one 360ml.
    Tamper?..no idea of what size or type:
    Bogav Classic Tamper?
    Tamper mat..that seems simple as does a knock box although all suggestions appreciated.
    Brushes what do I need?

I will be getting the rocket evo version 2 which is due in next week along with Macap M4D.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3B3531243331560 link=1332238977/29#29 date=1338630536
    although all suggestions appreciated.
    Handles for your drawers or youll never be able to get anything in or out of them ;D

Roz

Looks great, love the splashblack and black cooktop / sink.

you will only ever need two jugs a 600 and a 300-400, any quality tamper will do Bogav, Pullman are much better fits compared to cheap ones, decent size knock box depending how many coffees you will make, you can splurge on tamping mats / stations, I purchased this one and its really well made and looks / functions great, http://clean-machine.com.au/Tamping-Station-Exclusive-Black-Concept-Art.html

group head brush is a must and a grinder brush if you feel the need, but the Pallos are good for cleaning the group and have the scoop on the back for backflush powder.

Soon that plunger will stay in the cupboard no doubt :D

Yahoo! Finally ordered a rocket Giotto evol v2., macap m4d, plus accessories from Chris at talk coffee. Highly recommend dealing with Chris as he gives great advice, great deal for CS members and has made the buying experience a pleasure.
    I will post some pics when it all arrives.

Thanks also to CS members for their help and comments.
    I will have a million more when I start into this black art of coffee making.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6D6B6561746361060 link=1332238977/32#32 date=1338889804
    Yahoo!* Finally ordered a rocket Giotto evol v2., macap m4d, plus accessories from Chris at Talk Coffee.* Highly recommend dealing with Chris as he gives great advice, great deal for CS members and has made the buying experience a pleasure.*
    I will post some pics when it all arrives.

Thanks also to CS members for their help and comments.
    I will have a million more when I start into this black art of coffee making.
    Thank you kcmcgreg..

Your comments and trust are greatly appreciated.

Yesterday was a day where I was told that I scare people by a stranger who wears big shoes and has a mouth which is larger. Knife in the back stuff yet again from the small group of idle predators who lurk in shadows and gain their kicks by putting the boot in. Today, your kind and thoughtful feedback makes all the difference. Perhaps I am not so scary after all! ;) ::)

Like you, I do this out of passion for coffee and I have no doubt that your EVO V2 and grinder will bring you much pleasure. Your V2 is actually one of the first couple to find homes in Australia. It may well be #1.

Its not all about the sale. Its about happy clients and your satisfaction with the deal and after sales support is paramount. I am no further away than your phone or keyboard.

I wish you many god shots with your gear which will no doubt deliver happy times with friends and family.

Thank you so much for your support of Talk Coffee. It is never taken for granted.

Chris

I have posted some pics in the over $3000 forum thread but thought I would post one here to complete the topic. I now have my machine and am very happy but need lots of practice.
    Great beans Chris..love the flavor.

Roz

nice selection of cups, looks very nice in its home, youll be pulling shots like a champ in no time :D