Thread: Group Handle at 5pm

Group Handle at 5pm

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    If my group handle with stock basket in and empty sits at 5 instead of 6 o clock does it mean I need to replace something?
    I am wondering if this is why I am needing to dose so low.

Re: Group Handle at 5pm

I would be looking at the group head seal & the lugs on the PF. Over time the seal will compress & the lugs will wear. Yes I would imagine that it will effect how high you can dose but I would expect the difference will be marginal at most.

Steve.

Gosh at first look I thought you were challenging someone to a duel* 8-)

Yes you will be dosing slightly lower but it isnt really a problem except if you dont like the resulting coffee or if it aesthetically displeases you OR if it is leaking* because the seal isnt doing its job any more.

If when you fit a new seal it still happens,* you can buy either an oversize seal, or put a packing "washer" in with the normal size seal. If you were going to order a new seal, order the other with at and that way you have the alternative to use or not.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar

My Diadema Reales filter handle sits at about 6.45pm-7pm with an empty (or dosed) basket and has done ever since I bought it late last year. Never tried to fight it and have never noticed it causing a problem. Is this normal Attilio? I just figured it would slowly migrate towards the swilling hour as time goes by.

Cheers
    BOSW

Normal and, it will eventually go there.

Would it be normal for a new giotto? The portafilter of my Giotto goes to just under 5 OClock and as a result I have to under-dose in order to not catch the shower screen.... Dont like that....

Might have to look into getting a packing washer Any idea where?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7F785F52525750597D4C5F4A5B3E0 link=1332849221/5#5 date=1333089097
    Would it be normal for a new giotto? The portafilter of my Giotto goes to just under 5 OClock and as a result I have to under-dose in order to not catch the shower screen.... Dont like that....
    Sounds right to me. Dose is individual to each machine and you may be dosing lower than you did with a previous machine. Adjust your dose and grind to suit your new machine. All sounds normal to me.

Specifically. "Underdosing" is not occuring in these situations. Look at the greater picture. E61 group heads because of the way they are designed / machined allow a great deal of OVERdosing in fact, so if your group handle goes around a little more as Chris said, adjust your technique (obviously) to suit, but it doesnt mean there is a significant under dose at all.....there are other machines using other types of groups that allow only a smaller more traditional dose to be used.

So done wurry, be happy and enjoy the coffee.

Did I miss the duel (group handles at 5 oclock? ;))

With my honour intact I will call a truce and learn to live with my group head as it is.

I have a brand new Giove, well 4 months old now. Group handle sits at 7 and has done so since I bought it. Just the way its been made I guess. I see a hex key head above it so may be adjustable..

TC

Group seals come in 8, 8.5 and 9.0 mm and spacers of 0.5 and 1.0mm are available. All contingencies are covered by this. You will have an 8.5 Theo and it will bed down as the seal wears. Alternately, replace it with an 8.

Cheers

Chris