Thread: Expobar Minore III vs Miele CVA 5065

Expobar Minore III vs Miele CVA 5065

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Ill be moving house in a few months, the place Im moving in to has a new Miele CVA 5065 built in auto machine. I wasnt too impressed, but with a very hefty RRP price tag ($4,500) could it be as bad as I imagine?
    Im very happy with my Expobar Minore III and dont have much confidence that a German computer is going to be able to make a decent coffee. Has anyone had any experience with the Miele built in machines?

Thanks

Re: Expobar Minore III vs Miele CVA 5065

Friends of mine put one in their new house 5 years ago and it had the same super auto group/internals as my Gaggia Syncrony Compact which is the same as most Gaggia and Saeco and some other brands of super autos. Sounds the same when making a coffee too.

At the time, mine cost $500 new and theirs was ~$3,000. Yes it had a nice stainless facia and stylish dials that matched the rest of their designer miele kitchen but the end result was exactly the same. You are paying for that design, the name, consistent user interface with the other appliances, service and not necessarily what ends up in the cup.

The new models look a little different and they seem to steam the milk as well, which is probably a step back in my mind. Id be shocked if the end result was much better.

To compare to your Expobar, you should feel nothing but great dissapointment. Others in the household that arent so snobby may see it diffently.

If youve bought the place, Id remove it and replace it with extra storage or some other appliance. If renting, I guess it must stay. Either way, find some bench space for the Expobar and keep enjoying coffee the way its meant to be.

Yes its very much a case of the person who built the house we bought walked in to Miele and ordered a matching set of everything, the coffee machine matches the oven, cooktop etc. Probably like most people on this forum, when I hear features like "automatic milk frothing" you tend to tune out.

For now I am sure it will stay just because it fits in well aesthetically and Ill use it for those guests who take two sugars with their coffee and reserve the Minore for me and the mrs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1C23270C3F2F2D254A0 link=1333722322/2#2 date=1333753346
    For now I am sure it will stay just because it fits in well aesthetically and Ill use it for those guests who take two sugars with their coffee and reserve the Minore for me and the mrs.

You nailed it.
    Smart move I think

Good plan.

I must admit Im not crazy about having big parties and lots of people wanting coffees as I dont operate at Barista speeds :-) Most wouldnt appreciate the effort involved in getting a decent cup and most wouldnt pick the difference anyway. So having the super auto was handy for those situations.

Or you could educate your friends into appreciating the difference between the two, if you dare ;-)

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1333764368/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]