Thread: Minore 4 tripping circuit breaker

Minore 4 tripping circuit breaker

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all!

I am a new user so please excuse if this isnt in the right spot. I have a expobar minore 4, three months old. Have a slight issue that raised its head today. Machine has started to trip the kitchen circuit breaker. I know these are power hungry machines, and 10 amp. It has worked perfectly up until now though. I live in the sticks ATM, so before I run to brissy, I was wondering if anyone may have heard/had issues similar.

Thanks,

GC

Re: Minore 4 tripping circuit breaker

Welcome

The obvious question here is, if this has only started happening recently, what has changed recently? Have you added any more kitchen appliances.
    If no recent changes, what happens if you plug the Minore into a different power outlet?

Two possible causes come to mind. Its either over drawing the circuit and tripping the breaker, or its faulty.

Id try turning almost everything else in the house off. Regardless of wether you think its on the same circuit or not, then test. If it stays on, then you probably have too many appliances drawing too much power.

Rather than driving to the city to put it in to repair, you could also ask an electrician to perform a quick test to see if its an earth leakage. I cant imagine it taking them more than 10 minutes.

It only started happening today. Changed circuits as my first test and the same thing happened. I let the machine cool and shut every thing down in the house, and the machine was fine, stayed on etc. I spoke with a sparky friend of mine to confirm the theory of overloading. He said that due to the fact that it was the safety switch that tripped, not the circuit breaker, that it had better go back for a check.

Has anyone had anything similiar? Maybe a known fault with the element or heating circuitry?

Thanks for the great replies.

GC

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4B60696262534F6D61697E63620C0 link=1335068765/3#3 date=1335073848
    Has anyone had anything similiar? Maybe a known fault with the element or heating circuitry?

GC
    I have often seen it after a case of overfill of the tank. A little water around the microswitch, pump or solenoids will do the job.

Some people are in the habit of putting wet cups on their machines and that can also provide sufficient moisture.

See how you go tomorrow after a dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by 752A32242F2428212122222A2629470 link=1335068765/4#4 date=1335078282
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B60696262534F6D61697E63620C0 link=1335068765/3#3 date=1335073848

GC
    I have often seen it after a case of overfill of the tank. A little water around the microswitch, pump or solenoids will do the job.

Some people are in the habit of putting wet cups on their machines and that can also provide sufficient moisture.

See how you go tomorrow after a dry out.
    I was in the process of cleaning it when it happened. Tank was in and out a few times. Is there a way to electrically confirm there is no earth leakage?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6249404B4B7A66444840574A4B250 link=1335068765/5#5 date=1335079021
    I was in the process of cleaning it when it happened. Tank was in and out a few times. Is there a way to electrically confirm there is no earth leakage?
    Yeppers- the best way is to have your machine tested and tagged. Most sparkies have the gear and can do it cheaply.

Have you seen this situation on many minore? Or is it a problem many machines are susceptible too?

Appreciate the advice mate!

GC

its a problem just about any piece of electronics is susceptible to, especially thoses with compressors, pumps, water, or a bunch of other parts.

note that the safety switch doesnt prove its not a simple overloading issue, nor would a non-RCD breaker tripping prove it doesnt have an earth leak, so its worth getting it checked if you have the least bit of suspicion.

Had this very problem on our Minore III when it was a 3 or 4 months old.
    Do you find this only happens during the warm up period when first turned on in the morning? This is when ours was tripping the breaker, almost everyday in the end.
    So, I found the cause, there is a little valve on top of one of the boilers that is supposed to shut as the boiler comes up to temp. The problem is these spit water everywhere until they shut. There is no fix from Expobar, I did a temporary fix that has been permanent for about 2 years now* ::)
    Its nothing to do with overcurrent, we can have the coffee machine and kettle going at the same time, its the water going everywhere inside the machine that is the problem.
    If this sounds like your problem then Ill take a photo of what I did, its really easy. You will have to pull the side off the machine so check with the shop first to see if they are ok with that.

Cheers,
    Ross

Mate that would be awesome! A pic would be great!!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 77484C675444464E210 link=1335068765/9#9 date=1335611858
    The problem is these spit water everywhere until they shut. There is no fix from Expobar
    did they suggest getting it serviced? These anti-vac valves often spit or leak when scaled up. You can remove and soak in descaler if youre confident with that, or a good service agent should be able to fix that for you (a not-so-good one might need to be told to do it or they would service the machine and miss the valve).

When the problem started happening for me it went back to a service agent (in Dandenong, Vic). They replaced the valve with an updated design, probably what is in the Minore 4.
    It didnt fix the problem though, the thing still spat water everywhere.

Glenn, if you are sensible and careful, pull the side cover off (two screws on each side and one at the back). Then keeping well clear, turn the machine on from a cold start and watch in the area above the boilers, after a few minutes you will see some water start to spit out. Some is normal, lots causes the breaker to trip.

My fix (which isnt ideal) was to cover the valve, but not block it. The blue thing you see in the picture (my fix) doesnt stop the water coming out, but it does stop it spurting too far (on to the wiring). Its just a plastic cap with a 6mm hole in the top.
    Its a crap design from factory IMHO, there should be a small tube for the water to travel down, or, a cover of some sort. There is wiring just centimetres from where this valve is.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Ross

Thanks so much Ross! I ll let you know how I go!!

Glenn