Thread: Descale HX Boiler without pump

Descale HX Boiler without pump

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello fellow caffeine addicts,

I acquired my first second hand HX machine.
    I opened the machine, cleaned it from the inside and* it is working just fine.
    I descaled the HX as the mushroom had some scale on it, but not the boiler yet.

Is there any reason not to descale it by using one of the holes the water level probes are screwed in to?

As so:
    Tip machine upside down, unscrew the probe, remove it and drain boiler, stand machine up, fill the boiler with descaling solution through the hole using a funnel, replace the probe, switch machine on to get the acid working.
    Then undo the probe again and tip machine upside down to drain the boiler of the acid (or in reverse order)?
    Might be easy to flush it a few times with clear water using the same method.

This appears to be simpler to me than using the tank and the pump. No risk of blocking small openings with chunks of scale either.

Am I missing a good reason not to do it that way?

Thanks!

Werner

Re: Descale HX Boiler without pump

An easier way, rather than tipping the machine upside down is to siphon the water out with some tubing put through the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by 6351465A5146340 link=1335675449/0#0 date=1335675449
    Hello fellow caffeine addicts,

I acquired my first second hand HX machine.
    I opened the machine, cleaned it from the inside and* it is working just fine.
    I descaled the HX as the mushroom had some scale on it, but not the boiler yet.

Is there any reason not to descale it by using one of the holes the water level probes are screwed in to?
    ............../
    ....Thanks!

Werner

Youve already answered the question for yourself* quote: "...I opened the machine, cleaned it from the inside and* it is working just fine....."

If it aint broke why fix it?

Put back together and enjoy.

Rather than descale when it doesnt need it, feed the machine properly conditioned water and prolong its service life that way instead.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice! Siphoning sounds indeed more elegant!

And not to fix what aint broke is true enough also. The machine is assembled and in use, the descale would happen when I insulate the boiler in coming weeks. I just feel too bad letting it run all weekend. I will wrap the boiler with Insul Bright to ease my conscience.
    Might give the descale a miss.

Regarding filtration, I am using one of the scale inhibitor cartridges on the end of the pump hose, not sure if that is good enough for Canberra water (assuming it is kept in good nick and not too old) ?
    Attilo, I am sure you are the one to ask!?
    I am renting, otherwise I would install some better filtration.

Thanks a lot!

Werner

Softener cartridges become saturated in use and then cant continue to do the job ie. then they nolonger soften the incoming water.* *They therefore need to be regenerated at regular intervals, as per instructions* ;).

Also about once a year I would throw it and buy a new one anyway. They are also a particle filter and end up pretty cruddy.....

Be aware that if you insulate a boiler, you then change its design function and the tuning spec that was designed and built in for the particular market. The machine may then operate in a different manner, possibly not as well.....

After you insulate, you may be looking for ways to cool the machine down, or you may not. Depends entirely on the individual set up.

HX machines are not designed to be left on indifinitely without being used, and if it is a semi commercial it is small enough to allow you to switch off after use and then back on later if another coffee is required.

Hope that helps.

Yes, those cartridges need to be re- conditioned regularly or replaced. Especially to avoid them spilling their gritty contents into the machine!

I appreciate your advice regarding the boiler insulation!

Werner