Thread: Alex Duetto - Australia

Alex Duetto - Australia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

First post. Have been roaming these parts for a while now. Recently had a professional coffee course done and am very interested in making my own perfected Latte.

Looking at getting the Alex Duetto II however I have noticed that there is a vast price difference between what is sold locally and what is sold in the states.

Does anyone know why this is the case? and how/where would I be able to pick one up for less than $3000?

Cheers,

TC

Re: Alex Duetto - Australia

Hello iCoffee.

Might I suggest you use the quick search facility >>>^^^ on the term import espresso as this topic has been discussed at length in other threads. Perhaps a mod might splice it to one of them?

I read a post elsewhere by one of our sponsor members- as am I.

One reason you will find that some goods cost more here than in the US, is the type of marketing employed to sell the items.

You may find that in the US (item dependent), the importer is selling direct, and all service work is back to the importers base.

Over here, established importers have reseller and service networks "around the place". Importer sells it to them, so they can onsell it to you from their showroom in your town ( where you can actually feel and touch and maybe even play with before buying.....).

So there are extra margins involved.

When you knock out the perfectly legitimate "middle men" offering you that local shopfront and service, you no longer get to go down and play with the thing....and will have to buy direct from perhaps hunderds or thousands of ks away with the usual lack of after sales service that involves.

This is nothing more than a simple explanation of what gives in certain situations.

So....if we want the lower prices, you have to accept lesser service by knocking out the retail sales and service tier in the industry (whatever industry you may be talking about).

My thoughts are that US machines are 110V and therefore unsuitable for use in Australia. Comparing pricing is no more relevant than comparing car prices which are also cheaper than we have access to in Australia. I am glad that our remuneration and quality of life far exceed that of many in overseas locations.

Ultimately, it all comes down to one of more of distance, our government charges and taxes, economies of scale, the level of support you desire and the availability of service, warranty and spare parts you choose.

The other thing you might do is to speak with your local agent as you will find that street prices on most espresso gear are less than RRP.

Lastly, you might want to consider that you dont need an Alex Duetto to make a "perfected latte" and that a machine at 1/3-1/2 the price will do this just as well. The combination of coffee age and quality, the grinder, the operator and to a much lesser extent the machine will all combine to provide the end result.

Do look at the cost of your package and make a great grinder your #1 priority.

I briefly considered importing a Duetto from Europe, but found that it wasnt going to save me enough money to make it worthwhile missing out on a local warranty and service support. A "return to seller" warranty is useless if the seller is on the other side of the world.

I got an excellent deal from the Duetto agent in my state (Dimattina in WA), it may be worthwhile talking to the seller in your area - they may have a demo machine or other good deal available.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses. Always helps in making purchasing decisions. Im actually considering taking it down a grade and investing into a nice Mazzer Mini.

I guess I was just curious as the big difference in price. I mean generally youd expect a few hundred but over $1k difference is quite significant. Will start trawling through when I have more time ;D

Cheers!
    iC

iC, do your homework and then head straight over to Talk Coffee...
    Go and have a chat with Chris and see the machines in the flesh..

TC

I *think* icoff purchased a 2nd hand Domobar Super...

Haha, its still under consideration atm. I actually wanted a rotary pump machine only because the kitchen is next to my sisters room but Ive heard the grinder is loud anyway I decided to open up my options to something quality.

Currently looking at a good value secondhand machine and buying a new grinder. Looking to spend about $3000k in total and including a Mazzer Mini-E.

which probably leaves me with $2k to spend on a decent machine. The only reason I query the difference in price is due to the significance of it and my curiosity.

Cheers guys,
    iC

Have you seen this notice in the Sponsors thread?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/8#8

A mint condition machine, grinder and tamper for $2700. Sounds like a bargain.

I would be all over that deal if i didnt live in WA :(

Currently trying to desperately pass an stupid CA exam. Once done will look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by 406A464F4F4C4C290 link=1335894631/9#9 date=1336696646
    Currently trying to desperately pass an stupid CA exam. Once done will look into this.
    Just go and count some beans ;D ;D

Blog Entries

**cack**

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 351F333A3A39395C0 link=1335894631/9#9 date=1336696646
    Surprised they allowed your iphone into the exam room ;).
    Dont forget to adjust your deferred tax asset for the indirect outside equity interest in the revalued building.