Thread: Isomac millennium due exploded parts diagram

Isomac millennium due exploded parts diagram

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all
    Has anyone come across an exploded parts diagram for the milennium due? In particular Im looking for the size of the thermosyphon restrictor in the new model so I can update and calm down an old non-due version. But then also having a parts diagram would jus generally be handy too.
    Looked on the website of the importer and distributer, but they only have the diagram for the old one.
    Thanks!

Re: Isomac millennium due exploded parts diagram

Found the distributor and gave them a call and they told me the diameter of the restrictor which was good!

jb-0101..
    Care to share the info with a fellow Millennium owner ?
    What size were your original restrictors ?
    Are you measuring the group temperature somehow, or just the "cup" water temp check ?

Thanks

Haha, yeah sorry I just realised I didnt say what the size was which was a bit rude!

The distributor said the size in the due from the factory is 2.5mm. I tried a 2.5 and it seemed to work pretty well with boiler pressure at about 1.1bar, but taste was telling me that I wanted it a little cooler. Ive just put in a 2.0mm to see how it goes, and put the boiler pressure up slightly higher to 1.3bar and initially it seems like im getting more distinctive flavours out.

I have no temp measurement except my taste though, so have no idea what temp its putting out now with the 2.0mm and 1.3bar. But to me its tasting good so far - and thats what counts!

Thanks buddy.
    Out of interest , do you know what size was in originally ?
    I have a $10 Jcar digital temp probe attached* ..( thermally coupled* ;)) ...to the top of the group ( behind the "mushroom") ..just to get an idea of the temps involved.
    According to my research, this is the hottest part of the group.
    * ** ** I have mine set at 1.3bar, as it definitely seemed too hot at 1.5 bar, needing lots of flushing to stop the "water dance" /steam* from the group and the* hot water wand.
    * After 30 mins or so at idle , it seems to settle at 102 C and drops to 92C with a 30sec flush. ?
    * I am now trying to understand if that means the group is getting too hot ( Thermosyphon restrictors etc ) and / or is the boiler temp too low as that 92 C must be due to HX water temp ??.
    * I think i will do a descale and then check temps etc again.
    Down the track a bit, i would like to change out the boiler gauge for one of these..

Quote Originally Posted by 4B454C474D1C1B290 link=1336208503/4#4 date=1339752783
    Out of interest , do you know what size was in originally ?
    Is your Millenium an older one with steam and water wands that only swivel or are they they 360 degree ball jointed?
    Mine is the former and is 7 years old, and did not have any restrictor in it stock. After a 45 min warm up it would dance for a good 15 second flush before it stopped, which is why I researched the restrictor. With a 2.5mm, after being idle for about an hour and a half (or more, longer than that didnt make a difference), I could hear a burble for less than half a second come from the group, but no actual visual water dance.
    With the 2.0mm, there is no burble or dance, even after idle for hours, and the water delivery from the group is smoother than with the 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B454C474D1C1B290 link=1336208503/4#4 date=1339752783
    I have a $10 Jcar digital temp probe attached ..( thermally coupled Wink) ...to the top of the group ( behind the "mushroom") ..just to get an idea of the temps involved.
    According to my research, this is the hottest part of the group.
    Can you post a photo of this? Id love to see the set up

After 30 mins or so at idle , it seems to settle at 102 C and drops to 92C with a 30sec flush. ?
    I am now trying to understand if that means the group is getting too hot ( Thermosyphon restrictors etc ) and / or is the boiler temp too low as that 92 C must be due to HX water temp ??
    Yes the group would be getting very hot due to no restrictor being in the thermosyphon. At 1.3bar, the hot water wand is still very hot, but I just mix some tap water with it in the cup for long blacks, or use the hot water wand to refresh the boiler anyway, so not an issue really.

Down the track a bit, i would like to change out the boiler gauge for one of these..
    Looks cool, if you want to put one in just look at how they hook up the group gauge in the Tea and modify the Millenium in the same way!

One $10 Jcar temp probe ( stripped of its SS sheath to expose the TC bead) held onto the top of the group by a piece of elec tape (with a dab of thermal paste !)
    ..showing 81C during warm up.

and the full reveal..
    I think its 2-3 years old, but little used.
    Do you know where to find the serial # or build date ?

Quote Originally Posted by 4C424B404A1B1C2E0 link=1336208503/6#6 date=1339866165
    One $10 Jcar temp probe ( stripped of its SS sheath to expose the TC bead) held onto the top of the group by a piece of elec tape (with a dab of thermal paste !)
    ..showing 81C during warm up.
    Ok cool, nice and small which is good! So its just checking the temperature of the metal at the back of the group head? Im not sure how directly that will tell you water temp exiting the group though. Obviously higher temp of the group will mean higher temp of water, but 92 degree metal temp wont necessarily mean 92 degree water temp I dont think. I would image its better to go off water dance and taste, and when it tastes right make a note of the temp on the thermometer to give you a reference point?

Obviously happy to have others throw their insight in.

Quote Originally Posted by 4C424B404A1B1C2E0 link=1336208503/6#6 date=1339866165
    I think its 2-3 years old, but little used.
    Do you know where to find the serial # or build date ?
    I dont think youll find one. You can check the pump, that will usually have a build date sticker on it, and you can also check the boiler to see if its stainless steel or nickel-plated copper. Stainless is the new version, nickel-copper the old. But from the outside, not having ball-jointed steam and hot water arms means at least that its definitely not the Millenium Due, so Im almost 100% sure there will be no restrictor in the thermosyphon.

If you want to put one in, its a pretty easy mod, and my unmeasured, anecdotal experience is that it is well worth it.
    I can tell you that it will reduce the temp of the group, and pretty much stop the group water boiling.
    What I cant say it will give you exactly 92 degree water and solid temp stability, I cant even say what the temp coming out of the group will be, cause I havent measured. If you want to try it and experiment it will be exactly that - your own experiment!

I can give you some instructions as to how I did it, but youd have to be prepared to take the casing off and the top HX pipe. Not difficult, and these are built strong so its hard to break anything, but you need to be careful and confident you can put it back together!

I think they were called "Millenium Due" (due = 2 ?)as far back as 03-04 ..when it became commonly refered to as the "Mk2" which was revised in late 2010 with the cool touch 360 wands etc, and called the Mk 3" .
    ( thats from the 1st line site )
    Mine has a stainless boiler, but no other markings to give a date ?
    Previous owner is working OS and his family didnt know the history ::) ::)
    That temp spot is right above the circ chamber and the hotest spot on the group, so closest to brew water you can get without a probe in the group.
    ( Hey, this is a $10,..5 min mod ! ;D )
    ...But yes , i only use it as an indicator of temp variation.
    Not many Millenium owners posting on CS ? ..wonder why that is ?
    I am still pondering the restrictor mods,..but no problem with another strip down ( already had the steam& Hot water valves out and stripped for cleaning....Group head next !)

Quote Originally Posted by 6769606B613037050 link=1336208503/8#8 date=1339903038
    I am still pondering the restrictor mods,..but no problem with another strip down ( already had the steam& Hot water valves out and stripped for cleaning....Group head next !)
    Ok well if youve done that doing a restrictor would be dead easy. It literally consists of:

1) Take off casing
    2) Undo the nut that connects the top HX pipe to the group head
    3) Undo the nut on the other end of the top HX pipe (so you can move the top HX pipe to get access to the group head end)
    4) Pop the restrictor in the end that attaches to the group head
    5) Do everything back up again

Just be careful with removing the nuts. Dont bang them to get them off. If theyre tight, just give slow steady force and also brace the boiler, HX or group head for opposite force so you dont bend anything.

Good thing about this mod is its completely reversible if you dont like it. The steps are identical to the ones above except in step 4 you just take the restrictor off. Easy!

Obviously what I said above still stands...
    Quote Originally Posted by 6F64686076756760647669607C050 link=1336208503/7#7 date=1339894862
    I cant say it will give you exactly 92 degree water and solid temp stability, I cant even say what the temp coming out of the group will be, cause I havent measured. If you want to try it and experiment it will be exactly that - your own experiment!
    But I like it - a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by 7779707B712027150 link=1336208503/8#8 date=1339903038
    I think they were called "Millenium Due" (due = 2 ?)as far back as 03-04 ..when it became commonly refered to as the "Mk2" which was revised in late 2010 with the cool touch 360 wands etc, and called the Mk 3" .
    ( thats from the 1st line site )
    Mine has a stainless boiler, but no other markings to give a date ?
    Stainless boiler is the first photo, nickel plated copper is the second. They look pretty similar, except the nickel-copper is shinier and has a weld in the middle. Mine is 7 ears old so definitely nickel-copper, but i think if yours is 2-3, it might be stainless but just before they did cool-touch and restrictors.

In any case, I think the restrictor only came standard on the Mk3 version with cool touch wands. If the group flash boils, it doesnt have a restrictor!

Not sure why there arent many Millenium owners posting. Ive heard some people say the Isomacs arent really up to the standard of the Rocket, VBM, Expobar etc, and I guess if the Millenium is the same internally to the Tea, but the Tea is cheaper and comes with a brew gauge, more people go for that? Im not sure!

jb,.. ref your original request for a parts diagram.. i just came across this site which does have just that together with a comprehensive parts list.
    not the best diagram, and a US , 110v version also,* but its a good guide.
    http://www.espressocare.com/home_office_machines/parts/Isomac.html.

Also , just did a quick "poly cup" temp test at the group.
    When the top of the group reads 102 C on my temp gauge, the water from the group comes out at about 94 C
    When the group has dropped to 95 C after a flush, the water comes out at about 90 C.
    * Now i just need to do more tasting to figure which part of that range suits me best !
    PS did you buy or make your flow restrictors ?

just found another site with a full parts listing ( in Italian !) to go with the same diagram.
    http://www.sreweb.com/SRE3/Sale/home/dia_laura.htm

Thanks for the links to the diagrams.

Does the water flash boil out of the group after it has been idle for a while?

I made my restrictor out of a copper screw that I drilled the middle of, but I made it to test with my old Oscar. They are a couple of dollars from ECA or coffee parts, and Im sure other places in other cities will sell them, depends where youre located. Im going to get a purpose made one, so Id recommend doing the same!