Thread: expobar minore IV discussions

expobar minore IV discussions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hey CS-ers. been roaming the pages for awhile now and recently had a expobar minore IV land on my lap as a gift (massive upgrade from the old delonghi eco310!).
    the past 2 months of pulling shots from the machine have been great fun, but being relatively new to all this i wanted to ask some questions about E61 grouphead espresso machines in general as well as some small things about the minore IV.

-ive noticed the dispersion screen constantly gets into contact with the puck. is this a usual problem with the expobar E61 groupheads? i keep thinking is a dose problem but i after levelling i dont see a way i can be putting more grounds into the protafilter (or less without have a properly levelled puck!) is the dispersion screen too low?

-has anyone had any experience with replacing the single hole steam tip that comes stock with the machine? ive read some people say ONLY a 4-tip wand can produce ideal results and not to bother with single or 2-hole tips... in my experience its a steep learning curve but im getting pretty close to microfoam and can most certainly get some art out of the milk, though with an odd medium sized bubble floating around. im just wondering if its just skills i need to keep working on or is a steam tip upgrade all i need ;)

-lastly, the steam boiler pressure gage seems to stay at 0.8bar and from what i know the reccomemnded pressure is 1.3? am i missing something here? is there a way to adjust the steam pressure like there is for the brew pressure?

sorry for the long post and any comments would be awesome to hear from!

Re: expobar minore IV discussions

Hi beannoob and welcome to the Minore club.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5F42464F42464F44462B0 link=1336814515/0#0 date=1336814515
    the dispersion screen constantly gets into contact with the puck
    I got my machine from a CS-er at a year old and was clearly told that you must dose lower than the "norm", about 7-8mm after tamping.
    If contact is made when inserting the group handle, the surface will be broken, resulting in serious channeling and under extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F42464F42464F44462B0 link=1336814515/0#0 date=1336814515
    not to bother with single or 2-hole tips
    My machine has two holes and achieves the results I need perfectly. Like you, I would think one hole would be difficult, but with more practice, who knows?

the steam boiler pressure gauge seems to stay at 0.8bar
    My gauge seems to sit at 1.1 and as I said above; does the job. Not sure if the previous owner had tweaked the machine though. Others may help you out there with adjusting the steam pressure.
    recently had a expobar minore IV land on my lap as a gift
    Was this a second hand gift or new? If second hand, how long since the machine had a service etc?
    Im sure others will help you out here and like you, I will keep watch on this thread with keen interest.
    You have a great machine upgrade and will enjoy the coffee journey. Incidentally, a machine such as the Minore requires a good quality grinder to compliment its full potential.

Cheers,
    Kevo

TC

Hello noob,

Steam boiler pressure does sound a tad low to me and could be the source of your difficulties. Of the expobar tips, the one hole is a little easier than the 2 hole. The 4 hole is not appropriate in my opinion as if you are looking for microfoam you want to slow rather than speed things.

It might be worth either putting it in for a service (if it was 2nd hand) or alternately, ask your vendor to bench test and set the machine up correctly for you as it sounds as it was simply the movement of a box to me... :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 0E51495F545F535A5A5959515D523C0 link=1336814515/2#2 date=1336871442
    Of the expobar tips, the one hole is a little easier than the 2 hole. The 4 hole is not appropriate in my opinion as if you are looking for microfoam you want to slow rather than speed things.
    Good point cjn, thanks, it makes sense to slow the procedure rather too much heat too quick. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 4E60736A050 link=1336814515/1#1 date=1336870005
    Hi beannoob and welcome to the Minore club.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 4E60736A050 link=1336814515/1#1 date=1336870005
    Incidentally, a machine such as the Minore requires a good quality grinder to compliment its full potential.
    agreed! though finding a grinder within a price range a uni student can handle has proven difficult! and its been a challenge to find a place to test out and feel the machines in a place like perth and have been counting on reading countless webpage reviews... currently getting by with a hario slim mill which is actually performing very well.... maybe its the satisfaction after labouring over the grinding :) judging from what ive been reading though it sounds like a penny-wise pound-foolish thing to get a grinder below the $400 benchmark and having (or rather wanting :P) to eventually upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by 376870666D666A6363606068646B050 link=1336814515/2#2 date=1336871442
    It might be worth either putting it in for a service (if it was 2nd hand) or alternately, ask your vendor to bench test and set the machine up correctly for you as it sounds as it was simply the movement of a box to me.
    machine was brand new - i guess i might have to ask where they got it from... though i suspect it was from an online vendor. which brings me to another question... any perth folks who can recommend a good vendor/technician i can bring it to for the steam pressure issue? dont see any sponsors from perth

Quote Originally Posted by 5A47434A47434A41432E0 link=1336814515/4#4 date=1336909777
    machine was brand new - i guess i might have to ask where they got it from... though i suspect it was from an online vendor. which brings me to another question... any perth folks who can recommend a good vendor/technician i can bring it to for the steam pressure issue? dont see any sponsors from perth
    Dimattina coffee in Osborne park are site sponsors and I`m pretty sure they could service the minore for you ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 4C6E6B6E610F0 link=1336814515/5#5 date=1336914085
    Dimattina coffee in Osborne park* are* site sponsors and I`m pretty sure they could service the minore for you Wink
    must have seen a non WA address and tuned out when i was doing my search amongst the many sponsor sites* :P thanks!

i remember seening somewhere that grouphead gaskets are sold in differing thickness - so if i were to change the current gasket to a thicker one would it lock in the portafilter while its lower down and not in contact with the dispersion screen?

i just thought id ask since i have been trying to lower my dose, but it makes the NSEW distribution of grinds very difficult to perform - and have been getting a fair amount of inconsistency in pulling shots....

any advice is much appreciated!

TC

Gday wannabee,

I was really puzzled when I read this last post. This thread has misinformation in it as well.* ::)

Firstly, a group seal is designed to lock the group handle into place, not as a dosing tool. Use an oversize group seal and you are far more likely to end up with coffee over your bench and machine and possibly yourself as the group handle will not lock sufficiently.

The issue here is that you are dosing too high for your machine. This may be due to what you do and/or grind size.

If you need to dose lower, do something consistent which allows you to to so. For example:
    [*]Fill to a mound, distribute and then brush off = low dose[*]Fill to a mound, rap off one or more times, top up if required and then distribute then brush off = higher dose[*]Adjust grind to suit your chosen dosing method.

You dont need any technology, nor tools to do this -though I am certian that Scotty C will be happy to take over $100 from you for some of his curved dosing tools. What you do need to do is learn your new machine and become consistent. Grab some training if you need help.

Cheers

C

Well said Chris, I feel youve nailed wannabees concerns in simple to the point language.
    Apart from this posting, your information has, IMO, adequately finalized this thread. :D