Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bezzera BZ35e Project / Refurbish

Bezzera BZ35e Project / Refurbish

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I ended up getting my hands on a 2nd hand BZ35e machine which I posted earlier. I did know I was going to be in for a bit of a clean up and intended on pulling her right down and cleaning it from the inside out.

I ended up getting it sent down from Brisbane to Melbourne for $17 via e-go couriers as suggested by some fellow CSers and it got here in 1 piece which I was surprised as it was pretty poorly packaged. 32kg and the box dimensions were 45cm x 45 x 70 so I consider that a bargain!
    (Photos Below of poor packaging and box size)

Ive taken photos of absolutely everything Ive touched so far to make sure I have some reference for the build back up stage.

The story so far,

I was initially going to take it home and try it out for a few weeks and see how it went before I done this full clean out but thank god I didnt because upon removing the pipes to get to the boiler I found all the gunk and yucky stuff :o that you wouldnt want to be going into your cup in the morning! When I managed to get the whole boiler out I shook it around and I could hear stuff and gunk swirling around inside and when I poured it out I got a brownish coloured water which did not seem very safe at all!

I will be heading down to bunnings tomorrow to get some cleaning materials to continue but what do you guys recommend is best for the boiler and pipes to be immersed in? I saw Andys thread about hes Boema Resto and clean which he used CLR and Cleaning Vinegar. Are these recommended and also will they leave me with a acidic taste when its all put together because I want to make sure I do this right from the start!

All photos are below

Re: Bezzera BZ35e Project / Refurbish

The previous owner did test it for all functions and it did work because he sent me all the videos of it. But now Im worried that maybe some of this gunk and floatys may have been sucked up by the pump or its going to start clogging valves.

You will need some commercial descaler, I use Triple C from Bombora, (site sponsor).

Take particular note of that brass elbow that is still fitted in the heat exchanger section, it is the delivery line to the group head and has a very small orifice (glyculer??) in it that is a classic spot for scale to block up. Remove it and soak it separately. The other fitting in the Hex has a long plastic tube on it - its the delivery tube for water from the pump into the Hex - make sure you remove it and get that and the inside of the Hex really clean - thats the path of the water you drink in your coffee.

The boiler internals need a good descale too, but that water doesnt go to the group head or thru your coffee - its just for hot water, steam for the milk and heating for the Hex circuit.

The over pressure relief valve and anti-vacuum which is that big assembly on top of the boiler are sometimes problematic - but cheap to replace - and thats what i would do. (just keep the skirt that you have pulled off it.

The touch pads for the volumetric control are notorious for dying and on my last one I actually rewired it with a push on/off button to simplify it and save the expense of a new touch panel. See how you go, with a bit of luck yours is OK.

They are an awesome machine, I have just serviced and descaled my old one that i sold when I upgraded to the amazing Izzo Pompeii Lever - and after an overhaul I was pleasantly surprised at just how good a shot the old girl pours.

Im having a really hard time trying to get the heating element out. What I was doing was resting the boiler upright against my hip and having the grouphead block that is still attached to the top of the boiler against my hip then with my spanner trying to unscrew it but it is well and truly stuck no matter how much muscle I put into it. I then noticed that the corner of the grouphead block has started pressing into the boiler and has clearly dented it. Its still only minor but I have distorted it slightly which I wasnt happy about. I may have to try and freeze the area with a some freezing spray hopefully the temperature change will allow some give in the tension of the thread.

I hope to spend a few hours working on it tomorrow so I will definitely try and get some cleaning done. In regards to the cleaning process what I will do is clean and dip all the hoses and pipes into a bucket of CLR get everything clean and shiny then once it is all back together I will get that Triple C descaler and do a thorough descale to try and clear out any residue from the CLR. Or I might soak and clean with CLR then let it all sit in some Vinegar for a little bit blast all the residue out with some high pressure water and the start re-assembling.

I can see quite a bit of rust on the frame so I think Im tempted to get it re-powder coated :)

Besides a couple hiccups Im pretty excited about getting this thing going!

Ill continue taking more and more photos and keep everyone updated from start to finish 8-)

-Brendon

(Picture after my first few hours of work)

Just a question here, I put the boiler and all the brass hoses into a packet of ScaleKleen. I left it in this for approximately an hour or so and when I removed everything was a lovely bright pink colour and looked 100 times better then when I first looked at it. I then dried it all out and looked into the pipes and noticed there was still some residue and slight amounts of gunk in the fittings.

The boiler itself was still terrible inside and had a thick layer of black scale on the inner walls. It was flaking off if I touched it with a screwdriver or something long so I dont necessarily want to have this stuff so loose in the boiler and now I have no faith that the descale took much out of the pipes.

So what I have done is submerged them all back into the descale solution and Im going to leave them over night. Is there any harm in doing this? Or maybe I should try and get a stronger descaler?

What thought do you guys have?

-Brendon

(Photo below is a fuzzy shot of the internal scale that Im dealing with)

Hi,
    I did the same thing on BZ35 about a year ago, in almost the same condition that also came from country Qld.

If you have not got your heating element out yet, try 32mm socket and air gun - worked a treat on mine.

Heating up the descaling solution speeds things greatly, I had an immersion heater and the temperature was greater than 70 celcius. This still took two or three goes to remove all the black scale, similar to yours. When all of the scale is gone, the pink deposited stuff can be removed with a wire brush.

Keep up the good work it will be worth it in the end. I love your pictures pictures.

Zed

Hi Zed,

I managed to get it the heating element off yesterday. After an hour session in hot descale I got my 32mm spanner put it on, picked up the boiler and started tapping it against the bench graduly getting harder and harder the shocks must of broken the seal. I need to try and get a new gasket kit for it because they all disintegrated when I took them off.

I think Im definitely going to pull the frame apart and get it powdercoated. I have a sandblaster at work so Ill get it down to bare metal and let them just powdercoat it. Hopefully it wont cost more then $50 or so. Great little project so far Im actually enjoying it. Im considering insulating the boiler while I have it all apart, Ill start reading into the best options for that.

Ill take some photos of all the stuff out of the overnight descale tub tonight :)

-Brendon

So I took all the stuff out of the over night descale. Photos below of the results after a quick dry.

The boiler still has scale inside >:(
    The Heat Exchanger still has signs of scale which is baked on pretty solidly.
    The Heating Element is still showing signs of scale.

Ill be sand blasting the frame hopefully tomorrow preparing it for a fresh powdercoating and Ive ordered more descale to take care of the left over scale in the boiler. Im going to make sure my Karcher is available so after another overnight descale session if there is any remaining Ill blast it all off hopefully! I know it will be a huge mess but its just not coming off.

-Brendon

Hi, Brendon,
    You probably already know that you can get most of the parts from coffeeparts.com.au or Barazi Bezzera in Qld. Both are sponsors.

There is a lot of good rebuilding information and tips on orphan espresso Website
    lhttp://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-VID..._ep_564-1.html

When I was rebuilding mine I did not know about orphan expresso website, and I think it wouldve helped.

Zed

Next stage for today was to sand back and sand blast the frame to get ready for a fresh powdercoating during the week.

Thanks for the advice Zed there is plenty on that OE website!

(Before and After photos)

I just got the frame powder coated in gloss black today and I also dropped off all the shiny metal finished panels (Cup tray, Grouphead panel, drip tray) to a local electroplating place who will be giving everything a professional polish and buff and he has assured me that he will get it to almost brand new finish which I am hoping I will get anything thats better than the condition it was in. He is also going to be chrome dipping my steam wand and hot water arm, hes also going to re-chrome my group handles because the chrome was cracked and peeling where it locks into the group head. I forgot to take a photo of the handles but Ill post a photo of the finished product on Monday.

Pricing so far:

$70 worth of new seals and gaskets kit. This includes the Heat Exchager, Element, Boiler seals, Group seals + shims etc...

$50 Gloss Powder Coating + Sandblasting

$100 Polishing and Chrome Plating

So for $150 Im going to have a brand spanking new "looking" machine sitting on my bench :)

This clearly wasnt needed but I thought while its all in pieces I may as well get it done. Im also going to get the casing spray painted but Im lucky as I work in the Bus industry and have a readily available paint workshop who is happy to do small favors for free 8-) even if you were going to get this done for a price if you were to prepare and sand back the case Im sure you could get it done for $50 cash at a local spray shop.

In regards to the scale in the boiler it has been sitting at work in the corner since last weeks overnight descale session and I picked it up today and the scale has dried right out and flakes off to the touch! So what Im doing tonight is giving it a very watered down solution of Citric Acid and Water then in the morning I will get the Karcher out and blast it all out of the boiler with some high pressured water. Then next week is reassembly time!!!!!!!! Cant wait :D

Below is photos of the before and after frame gloss powder coating. Also a photo of the steel fascia panels before I dropped them off to the electroplating place.

Ok Ive done possibly my last session of descaling.

I still have a tiny little patch of scale in the boiler that just will not come off! It has withstood 3 overnight descale sessions and I tried scraping it off with a screwdriver and I still couldnt get it out. I was wondering if I give it 1 more session of descaling solution tonight and it doesnt come off will it give me issues down the track or is it dangerous to be drinking? Its really frustrating! Not even my Karcher high pressure water hose could get it off!

Would I be silly to start assembling or should I continue on descaling?

Photo below of small scale section.

-Brendon

Thanks for sharing this Brendogs - Im enjoying the progress youre making. Well done!

I finally got that section of scale out of the boiler today. I purchased 3 of the 75g citric acid canisters from Coles and put it in boiling water and let it sit for an hour and it was all gone!

Tomorrow I will start to put it back together and continue on with the photos, I also havent received my shiny bits from the electroplating workshop yet >:( Ill be waiting by the phone tomorrow to pick it all up.

Ive also sorted out to get the casing sprayed a dark maroon colour from the paintshop at work :)

Im really considering insulating the boiler but I have looked at other threads and I dont think I have enough room to use the thick foam insulation they have been using! Im really spewing because I can get the insulation for free from work which is the 4 layer heat and noise insulating panels, its Foil, foam, tar/rubber, foam. Its about 15mm or so thick and looking back at my photos I think its almost impossible to achieve this. >:(

Any ideas?

-Brendon

Not sure why you would want to insulate the boiler, there is no need. You have got yourself a professionally designed and constucted, commercial, single group espresso machine - you dont need to modify it!

Put it back together and enjoy it!

Ok, I have dropped the casing to get painted today in high gloss black. I didnt want to risk the Maroon because if it didnt come out good I would of been spewing! Black is safe 8-)

I just picked up the shiny bits from the electroplating place and wow wee are they shiny!!!!!! Im so happy with the results. He chromed the 2 grouphandles, steam and water wands for an extra $20 so all in total $120.

Have a look at the photos and let me know what you think!

:-? it looks as tho ur unpacking a new machine

+1 - it looks at least as good as new if not better! They have done a great job, seems very reasonable too.

Holy crap, that looks awesome, priced well too by the sounds, gonna be needing some sunglasses to go with that I think :)

Very very nice! Looking forward to seeing it together

They did an awesome job. It looks so much better in real life, the photos dont do it justice!

Im going to continue assembling it slowly tonight.*

Hopefully Ill have something I can plug in within the next week. Great fun with this project.

-Brendon

Wow! That is some serious shine.

A very enjoyable resto thread. Cant wait to see it finished.

Spent a few hours on it tonight and got it 90% assembled. It got a little bit too late to finish it off but hopefully tomorrow Ill have it operational! :D

Ill be picking up the outside case on Friday freshly painted and then that will be the finishing touch!

After all this work I just realized I dont have anything to hook it up to or any fresh coffee beans! So next stage will be to source a marble drill bit/wholesaw to cut through the kitchen bench top and get my mate to fit her up!

Photos below are of the stages nights progress ;)

Quick question,

Is the OPV or safety valve adjustable on this machine?

-Brendon

Great job with the rebuild!

Couple extra photos from today* 8-)

I will be getting my freshly painted black outer casing tomorrow which will complete it!

I still havent even got my marble bench top drilled and I need to head to a plumbing supplies shop tomorrow to get the hoses and fittings Ill need.

-Brendon

Im absolutely spewing I cant switch it on because I havent got any water lines >:(

Its now complete, and home!

Im plumbing it up as we speak and hopefully once I dial it in Ill record a video of it pulling some shots and texturizing some milk!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Very happy man right here lads.

-Brendon

The BZ35/BZ40 is one of my favorite Bezzera model range
    This a great resto project and the machine deserves a name

KK

Nice work. Looks better than new 8-) Have you fired it up yet?

Yep, Ive been giving her a crack. I was having problems with the group head seal, the pressure was blowing out and coffee was going everywhere!!! I was shattered and staggered at the same time wondering what it could be and then after about an hour of fiddling little bits and pieces, grind sizes, dose etc... I figured out I wasnt locking it tight enough ::) :-[ :-X

Because it was so much more tighter than my old Breville setup I didnt want to push it too hard. Ive now been trying to dial her in with some old beans that are pretty stale but I just didnt want to waste my good beans. So now I have the dosing and grind close and Im pulling between 25 - 30 seconds Ill throw the new beans into her tomorrow morning and see how it tastes. Ive pulled about 15 - 20 shots so far today :)

Quote Originally Posted by 092D242427271D092D312F2D420 link=1337240311/28#28 date=1338553485
    The BZ35/BZ40 is one of my favorite Bezzera model range
    This a great resto project and the machine deserves a name

KK
    I think Im going to name her Betty KK, as in Black Betty :)

Pretty good outcome, successful restoration. Cool name and she has a theme song! 8-)
    Probably more the Ram Jam version because its a little more vintage compared to the Spiderbait one.

-Brendon

There are two types of seals available for the BZ35/BZ40 range
    A soft and hard compound
    The soft is better for home use

KK

Oh ok I didnt know about that, I have to call up Bezzera Australia to order in a copper boiler drain hose as it is leaking under pressure ever so slightly but it makes a funny noise when everything is quite. The actual nut has a slight hairline fracture in it which is the suspect. So while Im ordering that I might stock up on 4 or 5 grouphead seals.

Also KK do you use VST baskets? I am having problems with the ones that were with the machine. Im not too sure if it is the standard baskets or not but the single basket fits my tamper easily but the double is significantly smaller and I cant get the tamper past the lip. So Ive been reading up on the VST baskets and they may be a viable option for me to go ahead with.

Im also getting my puk touching the shower screen very slightly. So far every 2nd or 3rd one touches so Im either doing something wrong or these baskets arent giving me enough clearance.

-Brendon

RE. Baskets
    I use a Synesso basket that was supplied with my Pullman barista tamper

KK

Site Sponsor

Brendon,first congratulations machine looks fantastic. Probably you have already notice but Bezzeras is one of those machines that you have to under dose.

As per KK advice a Pullman barista tamper will be the best way to measure how low you have to dose.

Regards

Renzo

Quote Originally Posted by 5D4D5A515B50584C3F0 link=1337240311/25#25 date=1338464409
    I will be getting my freshly painted black outer casing tomorrow which will complete it!
    Why didnt you chrome that too? Wouldve looked stunning.

Regarding puck and shower screen, do a search here on 5 cents test and even the rice check. Might help. I use my Pullman Barista tamper which has reference lines to ensure a correct tamp level for my machine and can pretty much guess what its going to do in terms of flow rate.
    By the way, if you mean the puck after expansion touches the shower screen slightly, thats ok.

I have some spare baskets & maybe even some PFs I think, will have a look.

I got best results from mine with avoiding the australian habit of grossly overdosing! Start with around 14g and get the grind dialled in for that and use it as a reference point.

What grinder have you got it matched with? (sorry if i have missed that!)

rick

Quote Originally Posted by 3D3B362F373B235A0 link=1337240311/36#36 date=1339055481
    I have some spare baskets & maybe even some PFs I think, will have a look.

I got best results from mine with avoiding the australian habit of grossly overdosing! Start with around 14g and get the grind dialled in for that and use it as a reference point.

What grinder have you got it matched with? (sorry if i have missed that!)

rick

Its paired up with a Breville Smart Grinder and at the moment I am 3/4s of the way to the finest grind. I have plenty of room to move but I am virtually choking the machine at 3/4 with a light tamp. I am only using the single 7g basket at the moment because the double 14g basket has a slight kink in it and its stopping my tamper from going in any further past the ridge which is annoying because Ive only tried the single up until now.

After doing a lot of research over the past few days in regards to the available baskets I am bewildered as to which one I should go for first! Its either get the original Bezzera ones new, get the "trusty" Synesso baskets or take a punt and spend a few extra coins on the shiny VSTs! There are so many options with this.

I did even notice that Chris at Talk Coffee has been preaching the Espresso Parts HX baskets that he has picked up recently and highly recommends those. :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 293B35233F5A0 link=1337240311/35#35 date=1339054383
    Why didnt you chrome that too?* Wouldve looked stunning.*
    I didnt chrome the casing because it would of cost me at the very least $100 alone. Only the 2 wands and the 2 Group handles got chromed the actual coffee machine panels were a grade of stainless steel and were actually sanded back and chemically polished. Thats why I was so surprised by the final result! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3305183B282E3536335A0 link=1337240311/34#34 date=1339052458
    Brendon,first congratulations machine looks fantastic.* Probably you have already notice but Bezzeras is one of those machines that you have to under dose.*

As per KK advice a Pullman barista tamper will be the best way to measure how low you have to dose.

Regards

Renzo
    Thanks for the kind regards Renzo,

I will continue dialing the grind and dose in. I have noticed that even the slightest change in dose or grind hugely effects the results in the cup. I am thinking of investing in a decent tamper though.

-Brendon

PM me your address and I will send you a double basket I dug out, you will really struggle to make a decent coffee with the single baskets.

The dose is important on this machine
    No mater what basket one uses ? Be it single, double, triple* :o

Always aim for an 8mm tamped puck depth for consistent best results

The standard Bezzera baskets are pretty good but make sure you ask for 58mm ones as they also produce 57mm as well

KK

Oh really galumay, thank you very much that is very kind of you! I have sent you a PM.

KK, I have faith in the Bezzera brand and as such also there own supplied baskets. My argument Im having with myself is if its worth getting new baskets from Barazi or do I spend a few more bucks and get the so called "top range baskets" in the VSTs or even the Synessos.

The more I trawl through the forums about these two filters the more information I find in conflicting arguments as to which one produces consistent and/or better cups. This is my current dilemma and I dont think Ill be finding an answer until I pull the trigger and purchase something for myself.

-Brendon

Hey Brendon, hold up your baskets to the light and I bet youll find at least a few spots where the holes arent perforated. Does this make a difference to the pour or taste? I doubt it but other will argue that it does.

Having tried stock baskets from various brands, synesso and vst, I still cant taste a difference that the basket is responsible for. The baskets do have other qualities that I either like or dislike.

But heres my pick: http://shop.talkcoffee.com.au/collections/filter-baskets/products/14g-deep-double-filter-basket-58mm

Much cheaper than a vst and seems just as well made.

Cheers
    Dennis

This is an awesome resto Brendogs! one that id love to do in the future.

Heres a question for all. I vaguely remember somewhere reading about descaling weakening copper and a boiler requiring a pressure test afterwards to ensure its up to the task of sustaining pressure. Is this correct? or did I misinterpret this information?

Thanks
    Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D606464706B090 link=1337240311/42#42 date=1339121889
    Heres a question for all. I vaguely remember somewhere reading about descaling weakening copper and a boiler requiring a pressure test afterwards to ensure its up to the task of sustaining pressure. Is this correct? or did I misinterpret this information?
    Thank you for your complements,

In regards to your question, I did research this heavily and I did find evidence of the heavy descaling processes that I had to take in order to get the thick internal boiler scale off may be harmful to the integrity of the copper. Although there wasnt any noted cases of there being an actual problem with such a heavy descale. I can now back this as I havent had any form of an issue arise since I have re-assembled the machine.

The only problems that are noted and cautioned around the place are the stainless steel boilers having a very bad reaction with the citric acid and the stronger strength descale products around. Id encourage extreme caution when attempting a descale with stainless parts. Do yourself a favour and trawl through the forums to see if you can dig up some information about certain reactions with materials and particular cleaning agents.

I also did a very diluted bath of CLR Acid and Edible Cleaning Vinegar. It had virtually no effect on the scale and I actually regret doing it now because it may have caused a layer of silt or lining from the acid to remain in the boiler. Luckily I still had to do 2 or 3 more descale sessions which would have removed any of the remain substances from that initial bath.

-Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by 7666717A707B7367140 link=1337240311/43#43 date=1339128614
    Although there wasnt any noted cases of there being an actual problem with such a heavy descale. I can now back this as I havent had any form of an issue arise since I have re-assembled the machine.
    Thats good to hear - puts the mind at rest. As this is definitely the way to go about a resto - the pinkish coloured copper looks great and its a shame its hidden away inside the case for nobody to see. Thought about a perspex window?* :)

Just a little update on how the performance of the machine is going with day to day use.

I have been making anywhere between 3 and 10 coffees a day depending on if my friends come over or Im making them for myself or family members.

The quality of the coffee coming out is OK and has definitely got better after each shot has been pulled. My technique is slowly but surely adapting to the new beast and Im not far away from perfecting it. Considering I have only been using a 7g basket up until now Im proud of the results.

I also ran out of beans on the weekend which I have been purchasing from Seven Seeds Cafe in the city which has a nice subtle taste which I really enjoyed drinking at there cafe but when I brought the beans home I found the roast to be a little bit too light and I was getting watery results. I have found a roaster right next to my work which was great and a lot cheaper, I picked up a couple bags of 250g and I instantly noticed they were a much darker roast in colour and resulted in a stronger flavor which is what I prefer to be honest.

Ive also put in an order to get some VST baskets from Greg Pullman with intentions of getting a fitted tamper in the near future. So hopefully with a decent sized basket I can get some more consistent and flavorsome shots :D

Ill take a video of an extraction tonight with my current setup of single 7g basket.

-Brendon

Ok so heres the video it took an hour to upload because I recorded it in 1080p.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb-x-sRg0Fc[/media]

I over tamped a tiny bit, the extraction was around the 33 second mark because Ive been playing around with the grinder settings today.

-Brendon

WHOA !!! thats soo SHINY !!!

I have the same machine....I turn it on and i only get the power indicator light, the machine actually doesnt start up : IE : the boiler doesnt start filling and i have no other functions .. Purchased a new relay today, but yet to install it.... I sort of flying blind as I'm not that good with electrical...All othersystems in the machine seem fine, so i'm just going thru a process of elimination to find the fault .... ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ??

Quote Originally Posted by BingoFox View Post
    I have the same machine....I turn it on and i only get the power indicator light, the machine actually doesnt start up : IE : the boiler doesnt start filling and i have no other functions .. Purchased a new relay today, but yet to install it.... I sort of flying blind as I'm not that good with electrical...All othersystems in the machine seem fine, so i'm just going thru a process of elimination to find the fault .... ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ??
    1) Position the new and old relays together mark correct way to install
    2) Mark the wires with numbers with a marking pen e.g. 12345 ect
    3) Remove wires and relay
    4) Relpace in reverse

KK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast