Thread: izzo vivi feedback vs the domobar junior

izzo vivi feedback vs the domobar junior

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

Ive been trying to find feedback on the vivi but I rarely find any information on it, everything that Ive obtained is for the izzo alex.

Information for the junior is extremely easy to obtain, does anyone know which machine would give more bang for buck if at the same cost price?

TC

Re: izzo vivi feedback vs the domobar junior

Quote Originally Posted by 2A39282E25223F2E4B0 link=1337497878/0#0 date=1337497878
    Hey guys

Ive been trying to find feedback on the vivi but I rarely find any information on it, everything that Ive obtained is for the izzo alex.

Information for the junior is extremely easy to obtain, does anyone know which machine would give more bang for buck if at the same cost price?
    Ill get that ;)

The reason is our first import occured in 2011. There are currently around 25 in the wild. I think about 8 have gone to CSers, many of whom may be infrequent visitors.

Please note that Euro Spec run extremely hot, so we did a whole heap of work to turn them into great machines.

Quuick search >>>>^^^^ brings up the discussion thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1294195743 as the first hit.

Thanks TC no wonder its such a rare machine! Yeah thats one of the few threads I found on it :D, does this machine require a cooling flush before each shot?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 607362646F687564010 link=1337497878/2#2 date=1337499945
    Thanks TC no wonder its such a rare machine! Yeah thats one of the few threads I found on it :D, does this machine require a cooling flush before each shot?
    Nope. Thats why I did all of the work I did on the machine- as mentioned in other threads.

Re cooling flushes, its time people stopped reading old Yankee stuff from 5 years ago. Its not relevant to well configured machines and certainly to nothing we sell. We reject brands which are not Aussie coffee friendly or which cannot be modified by us to work well and consistently without a cooling flush.

Right so any coffee machine out from you guys doesnt require a cooling flush yeah? ;D

Id like to chip in too. I am very familiar with both the Vivi and the Junior. Theyre both very good machines, though I rate the Vivi higher because:

1. Overall its quieter than the VBM due to the PID control for the boiler.
    2. Cool touch wands are an advantage.
    3. The Vivi has a bit more steam power.

The only downside for me with the Vivi, is removing the tray, then the bottle to refill. Its not much to complain about!

Thanks Dennis! Good to know! :)

Hi Arcenite,

I thought Id throw in a couple of my two cents into the whole discussion since I own the Izzo Vivi (Thanks, Dennis/cuppacoffee).

Prior to converting to the Vivi, I had a Rancilio Silvia and then jumped onto the Breville Dual Boiler bandwagon.

From the usage point of view, the Izzo Vivi has been awesome. I have left my machine on for 6-7 hours straight, the cooling flush was still not really necessary. I released some water, and there was not huge amount of steam coming out from the group head.

If you took the similar upgrade progression like mine, you will first need to get used to the steam power. It took me almost 2 weeks to achieve microfoam. Its superb! And just for fun, I left the steam on for about 10 minutes, and it still went on and on!

Dennis has pointed out the little inconveniences he had (water tank refill and drip tray), my only problem is the drip tray not being wider back and the rubber hose from the boiler to the tank.

DRIP TRAY ANNOYANCE:
    Before I turn off my machine, I would do a 5 second flush to brush off the old coffee grounds from the grouphead and seal. When doing that, the splash tend to wet my bench a little bit due to the depth of the tray.

RUBBER HOSE ISSUE:
    The rubber hose which leads back to the water tank (shorter one), for some reason, had multiple slits on it. After awhile, one of the slit weaken and broke, resulting in the hose sitting on top of the container. After a few minutes into the routine, my whole kitchen bench was drenched. All I just did was to tape the the hose back together.

Other than the above annoyances, I think the Vivi is a good machine. I dont see myself upgrading any time soon.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
    Darryl.

I have had the VBM since they first become available in OZ, yes it is a great machine with a very small footprint. Any negatives........the tank & hoses can vibrate and be noisy when the tank is low on water other than that no negatives really. Would I buy it again? hard question to answer as the physical size constraints which existed when I purchased have been reduced due to my "coffee machine trolley". If $s [AND WAF] werent an issue I would go with a* rotary pump machine probably the EVO...........

Steve

Steve

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 292D363C440 link=1337497878/7#7 date=1337652075
    The rubber hose which leads back to the water tank (shorter one), for some reason, had multiple slits on it.
    Hi Darryl,

The reason Izzo do this is allow steam in the return from the anti-vac valve to vent off easily. Earlier machines had 2 long tubes.

I think so long as the tube from the anti-vac makes the tank, the slits are neither here nor there. Id imagine that if its too long, youd get irritating bubbling.

If you need some replacement tube, you will find it in places like Bunnings, Clark Rubber or many aquarium supply shops.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 5D686562564A666F6F6C6C090 link=1337497878/9#9 date=1337726880
    If you need some replacement tube, you will find it in places like Bunnings, Clark Rubber or many aquarium supply shops.
    Or send me your address details and Ill post some to you with my compliments.

Dennis/Chris - Good to know. It did not bother me after finding out what the problem was. I just used a sticky tape to join them back together.

Just one question though - if I do go down the path of using a replacement tube, where do I stick the other end to? Would I need to unscrew the top cover of the machine?

Thanks,
    Darryl.

Hi,
    Ive had a Vivi for just on a year.
    It is a great machine, the only limitation I find is the operator.
    Personally I have no problem with the drip tray and accept that you have to fill the tank as it does need water to run. The only problem Ive had is the short slotted tube which broke (it didnt stop the machine operating) and is being replaced thanks to Dennis. The machine never requires a cooling flush thanks to the effort put in by Chris and Dennis in setting things up before they hand it over.
    I also moved up from a Sylvia and took a little time to get good milk but the learning is part of the fun.
    Ive just got back from Italy and I think my Vivi makes as good coffee as I had anywhere there and a lot better than any in Switzerland.
    A big plus is the compact footprint and when you look at the gizzards they are a thing of beauty.
    Scotchy

TC

Just an update to this thread.

We sold the last one from current stock and then unsold it- due to a severe case of upgraditis on arrival at the warehouse. I thought it only happened after purchase!* ;D

Punchline- one cheapo demo remaining (Melb pickup only)

Once this goes, they will then be out of stock until around August.

Chris

Couldnt help but get mesmerized by the witch :D