Thread: First Poster

First Poster

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I am new here.*

I have had a Breville 800ES and 450 grinder for over a year now.* Have done some of the mods that I have researched on this forum to both the grinder and baskets.* Producing ok coffee, probably better than a lot of Perth cafes, but no where near the standard of the good ones.*

I want to start on the journey to getting myself a serious setup and learning how to use it to produce some top cafe results here at home.*

My wife and I drink Long Macchiatos topped up, or probably better known as double shot lattes.

I have read a lot in the last couple of weeks.* It seems in order or importance is.

1. Fresh Roasted Beans
    2. Best grinder you can afford.
    3. Best machine you can afford.

Of course not mentioning skill and technique.*

Thinking about $2000 to $2500 for a grinder/machine combo.*

Have been researching the Nuova Oscar, Bezzera BZ07, BZ99 and the VBM Junior.*

I am in Perth, and am wondering who the Sponsors are here that I can visit and have a good talk to and look/play with some machines?*

Also someone is selling a 5 year old Wega Mini Nova and Compak K3 Elite combo here in Perth and wants about $1500.* They say its been serviced regularly.* Have no idea whether this is a good deal or not?*

Cheers

Andrew

TC

Re: First Poster

Welcome jaffa,

The two Perth sponsors are Dimattina Coffee and Espresso Italia. Dimattina are very active here and Jono is running some great cupping sessions as well.

Your budget is realistic to get a great result. You may also like to look over our excellent value joint Diadema offer (with Cosmorex) in our sponsor area. We ship to WA all the time.

Happy shopping. ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 5D555E4F54595B543A0 link=1337959919/2#2 date=1337991737
    If on the other hand you really need shiny, shiny bling, this may not be for you.
    Not quite the main difference between the 2 options. Granted, the extra $$ gives you the bling, but it gives you a whole lot more too.

Quote Originally Posted by 5D555E4F54595B543A0 link=1337959919/2#2 date=1337991737
    I am surprised Chris didnt mention this option.
    Im not at all surprised. Its an option, but not one Id consider for very long.

The Breville combo is good bang for buck - but its built to a price. Havent owned the BES900 but went through 2 smart grinders of substandard quality. While it offered good features at the price, its short comings in quality of craftsmanship, durability and longevity, and resale value ended up not being worth it, even at the $160 I paid for it new. I therefore imagine the same would be pretty true of the BES900 (and heave heard from others that this is the case)

Look at the Diadema/Compak option in the Talk Coffee site sponsor section. If it were my money I would spend the extra $500 on that option every day and twice on Sunday without a second thought. You really really really get what you pay for. The step up in quality of build and quality of coffee produced is considerable. On top of that, in 3 years time, the breville combo will be worth far less as a percentage of the original price, therefore actually costing you more in depreciation over the time of ownership.

Of the other options you mentioned, the BZ07 and BZ99 from all reports are brilliant machines, except that the BZ99 is a bit ugly IMO, but it looks like a work horse. The VBM junior would be an excellent choice too - the new ones have a Sirai pstat. The Oscar is a good machine for the price too, although if your budget is $2-2.5K and they can be had new for closer to $1K, dont bother unless you really want to save money.

My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by 29212A3B202D2F204E0 link=1337959919/2#2 date=1337991737
    designed and tested for a long working life
    Everything is relative to individual perspective.

Thanks guys, will look at the Diadema combo, how does it compare to the vbm junior?* I have heard nothing but praise for this machine and it seems when set right it needs little pre-flushing before extraction?*

After owning a breville I am put off by how fast it pumps the water through the coffee.* The pressure seems set way too high and the water comes gushing out so fast it only takes about 3-4 secs before the extraction starts blonding.* I know this could be my grind as well which isnt probably fine as it should be, but I did modify the machine to grind as fine as possible.* I am not sure if the 900 is any different.*

I am definitely leaning towards a machine that will produce excellent and consistent results for the next 5-10 years.*

Quote Originally Posted by 2922252522747474430 link=1337959919/5#5 date=1338001819
    I am definitely leaning towards a machine that will produce excellent and consistent results for the next 5-10 years.
    The Brevilles an OK machine, certainly by far the best effort so far by an appliance manufacturer. But it is just that - an appliance, and as such I doubt it would be pumping out coffee in 10 years time.

You cant go wrong with the VBM Jnr, or the Diademas that Cosmorex and Talk Coffee have on special at the moment. Also have a look at the Di Bartoli special on the Bezzera Magica. You can also short list an Izzo Vivi.

Looking at the Expobar Minore IV at the moment and seems to be very well priced considering its a dual boiler with PID. Compares favorably against the similar priced HX machines?

I have the expobar minore,
    its great, love the benefits of having dual boiler

I also have an Expobar Minore (II) and like it very much, but it is the only machine at this level I have owned, so I am biased.
    If you can get your hands on one or 2 different machines and try them out, you might find that one speaks to you.

FWIW I also like the look of Bezzera machines.

I also love the look of the Bezzera machines, and the guaranteed minimum 50% trade in at 5 years is a very good deal indeed.* The only things I have read which I dont like the sound of is that the shower curtain is very low and doesnt allow for up-dosing.* *I want to be able to make a rich and decadent triple*ristretto.* The other thing I am not sure about is the non E61 head, which is electrically heated instead.* There seems to be mixed reviews on this with some people loving it and some people not.*

I would suggest finding a good sponsor and then give them a call or drop them an e-mail so that they know your situation and then help you find something that suits you! Heck you could even drop by their shops and test run some of the machines ;D.

yes that will certainly be my next move, thanks.

and hopefully your local sponsors do modifications to the machines, as Chris from Talk Coffee here in Melbourne mods them so that you dont require a cooling flush which is awesome :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 544756505B5C4150350 link=1337959919/13#13 date=1338306905
    and hopefully your local sponsors do modifications to the machines, as Chris from Talk Coffee here in Melbourne mods them so that you dont require a cooling flush which is awesome :D
    Just to correct this statement: Most good HX gear does not require a cooling flush. Where they do, if the inherent HX design is good, we can usually improve them.

Bezzera use heated groups in some of their designs and where they are used, you pretty much gets what you gets. FWIW, I think if you choose well, 50% after 5 years is easily achievable on the open market (the FS section confirms this) -so I wouldnt let that restrict possible candidates. ;)

What Chris said :), I really need to get my head out of the 500$ range of machines that usually need a cooling flush. Its like its burned into my brain!! :-[

Thought the Minore might be the goer but now reading up on the Strega, gee the extractions look amazing! This forums got me going to bed too late yet again.

I personally find the Strega more interactive :).