Thread: Izzo Vivi - info/review needed

Izzo Vivi - info/review needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Good Sunday Morning!
    In my quest to replace Silvia Ive somehow been drawn towards the Izzo Vivi. I found a review of the non-PID version, and guessing much is the same, but really interested to hear more about the most recent model and specifically the use of the PID.
    Sight unseen, unless one of the sponsors here in Sydney carries it.
    Comparing with VBM Junior, as it seems my height restrictions are also being expanded to width and depth...sheesh!

TIA!

Re: Izzo Vivi - info/review needed

Mate contact Chris at TalkCoffee, he has a demo unit for sale if not already spoken for (under 2K).

Great sponsor and great to deal with - I can vouch for the customer service you will receive ;)

Jonty

Thanks Jonty, i did send a half-hearted reply to another email with Chris about the vivi, but expect since he is indicating pickup only I need to make up my mind before hassling him to help ship it up here!

I highly recommend getting it from Chris, hes adjusted the vivi so you dont need to do a cooling flush ever :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4D534652541110270 link=1338680656/2#2 date=1338682568
    I need to make up my mind before hassling him to help ship it up here!
    Sorry jtaus...

I regret that this one will be walking out in the arms of a purchaser, so unless you wanna grab a flight.... ;)

Nah and unfortunately my nephew is flying up here next week rather than driving too. Hate to think how much theyd charge for excess ;)

:(

Yo JT,

I, too, followed the same upgrade path as yours (from the Silvia), but I detoured and gave the Breville Dual Boiler a try before giving up on it and moved to the Vivi.

The Izzo Vivi is an awesome piece of art. I left my machine on for 6-7 hours straight one time while hosting a dinner party, and the cooling flush was still not really necessary. This only works if the HX machine has been tuned properly by a reputable seller, such as Dennis from cuppacoffee and Chris from TalkCoffee.

If you are coming from a Silvia, the first thing you will notice is the dry steam at the turn of the steam knob. There is no need to "bleed" or wait 10 seconds before you achieve dry steam. The steam power was also extremely powerful on the first week. After that, the power dials down a little bit, which makes the steam more workable. Dont get frustrated if it takes you a while to achieve microfoam. It took me almost 2 weeks get used to this baby. For the fun of it, I left the steam on for about 10 minutes, and it still went on and on.

Frankly I have not touched the default PID temp settings. The boiler temp is at about 123C. Changing the boiler temp could adversely affect the water temp when it reaches the grouphead. So I am happy to leave it as that.

There is only one annoyance I have with the machine is that the drip tray is not wide (from back to front, not side to side) enough. When brushing the grouphead after each use, the water tends to splatter to my bench top. All I do now is pull the drip tray a little forward and it is completely fine.

Dennis thought the height between the grouphead and the driptray is a little short. I did not think this was an issue as I use a short measuring glass during extraction. To put it into perspective, the height from the grouphead (with the PF attached) to the driptray is just enough to fit a standard 220ml latte glass. On another note, having the grouphead too high encourages splatters, and to some aficionados, it destroys the crema. Some argue that the act of transferring the extracted espresso from the measuring glass to the serving glass will also lose some crema. You have to be a total nutjob to find that bit a showstopper. But then again, this is a community dedicated to coffee. To each its own.

Finally, this machine is HEAVY. It was a pain carrying it up two flights of stairs from the carpark, but that only meant one thing - quality components.

Did I tell you the Izzo Vivi has more shiny metal on its casing that the Silvia? :)

All the best,
    Darryl.

Hi Darryl

Glad to hear youre enoying the Vivi, as am I.

Just a little clarification re the PID...on this machine its there to replace the pressure stat. The PID does a great job keeping the water temp in the boiler stable and Ive only ever noticed the temp dropping by 1 or 2 degrees while texturing milk or using the hot water, before it begins to quickly climb back to the set temp of 123 degrees. The PID has the side effect of making the Vivi quieter than a machine with a conventional pressure stat.

There is no advantage in changing the 123 degree setting and it is not recommended!

Cheers
    Dennis

Thanks for the info Darryl, its useful to know what to expect moving of the Silvia. Couple of things are important with the machine, other than the product it produces. Drip tray (I think most of the machines i am looking at carry more volume which means i will be carrying more to the sink and trying to avoid spilling) and the ease of refilling without pulling the reservoir (I have an overhead cabinet and the silvia on rancilio base is just about as high as id like- and is a full opening versus a small hole to refill). And then replacement of parts which has kept silvia up to speed and spec. The investment over 10 years has resulted in a very good ROI.
    I bought my MIL a Breville espresso (not the double but similar in looks) and it lasted a year before trouble set in. I dont mind that if i can do it myself. In this case i didnt even try to open it up.
    Im still deciding and perhaps there is a sponsor in Sydney carrying the Vivi. I think the smaller footprint and Izzo features/quality is appealing but it will end up a machine i can see and try I expect to land on the bench here!

TC

Hi jtaus,

Currently its just us with the Vivi.

We have brought forward an order and expect stock in about a month.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris, who knows, a roadtrip may be in order once the stock arrives!

Hi jtaus, if youd like to take a look give me a call on 0404049812 and Id be happy for you to visit and have a coffee at my home in Sylvania.

Cheers
    Dennis