Thread: moved up a notch

moved up a notch

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well, starting as a noob a year or so ago with my single boiler Lelit Combi Im over the Moon after getting a VBM Domobar Junior the other day. Im still using the Lelits grinder as I source a grinder to better match the machine. I also need to get a 58mm tamper. Also some nice cups... etc. Might drop in on Coffe A Roma as theyre close-ish.

Id love to hear of others experiences with this machine, Im sure there are a few of you on CS.

Speaking of grinders, what would be a good choice? My budget would be < $500. Im thinking 2nd hand M4 or new K3P. Are the ASCASO grinders considered decent? I dont hear them mentioned a lot.

Thanks!* :D

Edit: added a few pics

Re: moved up a notch

Quote Originally Posted by 302C342935352F460 link=1339144009/0#0 date=1339144009
    Speaking of grinders, what would be a good choice? My budget would be < $500. Im thinking 2nd hand M4 or new K3P.
    There is a certain mazzer SJ in the for sale section at the moment. It has had some interest. But itd be perfect mate to your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 302C342935352F460 link=1339144009/0#0 date=1339144009
    Are the ASCASO grinders considered decent? I dont hear them mentioned a lot.
    Then maybe that is a reason to stay away from them? User support and all. But - they may be a great grinder. Im not sure.

I love my vbm jr I purchased from Chris at Talk coffee... (and Im in Adelaide)

Water filtration is important.. Grinder is important.. Minimum would be compak k3,Mazzer mini or macap (havent used a macap but in the same ball park) for this machine.. Have used a friends smart grinder.. Not so good.

Save your $$$$ until you can get one of these in my opinion.

But its an awesome machine, barely needs a cooling flush, even after being on for a few hours..small foot print but big on features and quality..oh and doesnt it look good :)

Quote Originally Posted by 0025322D207C440 link=1339144009/1#1 date=1339149939
    There is a certain mazzer SJ in the for sale section at the moment. It has had some interest. But itd be perfect mate to your machine.
    That does look like a good option. I have inquired about a M4D in the FS section but the seller has gone quiet at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 0025322D207C440 link=1339144009/1#1 date=1339149939
    Then maybe that is a reason to stay away from them? User support and all. But - they may be a great grinder. Im not sure.
    Yes pretty much my thinking as well, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 332B2A202136440 link=1339144009/2#2 date=1339156561
    Water filtration is important.. Grinder is important.. Minimum would be compak k3,Mazzer mini or macap (havent used a macap but in the same ball park) for this machine.. Have used a friends smart grinder.. Not so good.

Save your $$$$ until you can get one of these in my opinion.
    I also got mine from Chris. He gave me a couple of water testers which show my water to be very soft, i.e. between 0 and 25ppm or thereabouts. Not sure whether to risk using it without filtration in the long term. The grinders you mentioned are pretty much where Im at. Probably wait for a good used..

Quote Originally Posted by 332B2A202136440 link=1339144009/2#2 date=1339156561
    But its an awesome machine, barely needs a cooling flush, even after being on for a few hours..small foot print but big on features and quality..oh and doesnt it look good*
    Im more and more happy with this machine every day. Im finally getting decent shots and even managed reasonable milk for latte tonight. First 1/2 dozen attempts were bubble bath. Looks wise... I agree. After all other factors, that was the sealer for me 8-)

wonder, Id be interested in your coffee making process and experiences with the Domobar Jr. Mainly singles or doubles? Dosing amounts, etc. With my current grind setting Im finding I need 18-19g in the double to get 60ml in 30sec. Cant wait to get a better grinder and really fine tune things. Im pretty sure I want a doserless with timer. What grinder are you using? Got myself a 58mm tamper today. Surprised that its not a closer fit in the pf but its obviously better than the 57mm.

Any other Domobar owners out there care to share tips/experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by 302C342935352F460 link=1339144009/3#3 date=1339157577
    He gave me a couple of water testers which show my water to be very soft, i.e. between 0 and 25ppm or thereabouts. Not sure whether to risk using it without filtration in the long term.
    With that level of dissolved minerals, softening is **not** an issue. If anything that might be almost too soft for the best taste.

Unless the chlorine or sediment is an issue then even a carbon filter may not be needed.

Greg
    ps--for too much information, search for and read "the insanely long water FAQ"

Quote Originally Posted by 6C594E4C7C4459464A474F2B0 link=1339144009/5#5 date=1339292007
    With that level of dissolved minerals, softening is **not** an issue. If anything that might be almost too soft for the best taste.

Unless the chlorine or sediment is an issue then even a carbon filter may not be needed.

Greg
    ps--for too much information, search for and read "the insanely long water FAQ"
    Thanks :) will have a look. I chose that figure because the discoloration of the test swab was to my eye,* between the first colour (0) and the second (50).

Heres a pic* :)

Edit: this from my water supplier website
    "To minimise undesirable build-up of scale in hot water systems, total hardness (as calcium carbonate - CaCO3) in drinking water should not exceed 200 mg/L.

The typical hardness level of water delivered in South East Waters area is between 12 45 mg/L. This means that the water being supplied to South East Water customers is considered "soft" by international standards."

Gday snobb,

My coffee making process is pretty simple, 15-16 g of beans using double basket that came with the vbm jr.. I single dose my beans,and I like to use a grinder with a doser. Beans in and I stop it when beans are done.

Either spout will do, then I play with the grind till Im getting anywhere from 30-50 mls coffee in 20-30 sec.. Dont worry about exactly 60 mls in 30 sec its just a guide.. If your pour blondes in 20 secs stop it then etc..

Dont be a slave to the stop watch...

Ive had mini mazzers, Sjs,* compak k3,6 and a wega 6.8 conik which is a rebadged compak k10 thats what I use now..

Took my basket in to a coffee shop and got a stock tamp, works fine.. But did get a vst basket and Pullman tamp..Pullman tamp I love and recommend, vst basket take it or leave it.. I find no real diff..

I would probably decease your dose to 16 g, that is plenty i find with the jr..fine up your grind ( better grinder* maybe* ;)) and pour lots of shots...

The machine is great, would definately buy it again...but just keep making shots, the more you make the better youll get at making them.

wonder

Hey thanks for that. Lots of common sense and pretty much on my wavelength. Always interesting to compare notes :)

The simple reason Ive gone for the 19g is that Ive found its the minimum I need to be able to dose/distribute/level/tamp (with couple of settling taps in there as well). I guess I lose a little (< 1g) when I level. If I grind 16g theres just not enough ground coffee to distribute/level.

To further explain, with the Lelit I would just measure (beans) grind/dose/tamp but with the VBM I thought Id try the above method as ably demonstrated to me, on my own machine, by Chris at TC (and every barista demo video Ive seen :) ). Im still measuring beans (just to minimise wastage). Interesting to note the manual I think suggests starting with 15-16g and 9g for the single pf. I dont think I lose much in the grinder as I tap the chute thoroughly. I do aim for the 30sec/60ml as a baseline to dial in my grind but also watch the flow of the pull and adjust.

Im trying to source a grinder and am currently hoping to snare a used K6. Cant wait to see the difference from the Lelit grinder which I know will be significant.

After I brought home the VBM I went through at least half of the .5kg Chris gave me (singles) then when I finally had it right, I switched to the double basket :-? Ive just bought .5kg of a local roast so I will play a little.