Thread: VBM Junior progress and observations..

VBM Junior progress and observations..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well Im a couple of weeks into ownership of Junior and making some progress. Have some thoughts and questions :)

I notice the brew pressure peaks at pretty much spot on 10bar, whereas Im expecting 9-9.5 (correct?). Im pretty sure it was not as high as 10 the first few days or so. Is this a problem? Inaccurate pressure meter? Or do I need to adjust something?

I started out with singles, then moved onto doubles, but now Ive gone back to singles. Everyone seems to advise to basically lose the single basket. Also most reading Ive done says that doubles are easier/more forgiving to get good results. Im finding the pour with singles is lovely, rich and chocolatey, and the taste is very nice in my small-ish cups. (I also like seeing the pour whereas the double spout is mostly covered). Ive gone to a darker slightly oily, more intense bean (with a great name, Black Silk) which gives me a full flavour with less coffee in the cup. For the single basket, Im finding 12-13g, firmly tamped, is the sweet spot, keeps clear of the shower screen, and produces a pretty firm puck.

Something has really clicked with the milk texturing, and Im gone overnight from dishsuds to pretty decent microfoam. The incredible steaming (for me) ability of the Jr takes some effort to control after my other machine. What made all the difference for me was leaning the steam wand on the back of the jug, as advised on a Home Barista tutorial. Works for me!

The water wand is pretty steamy. Is that normal? I know Im not supposed to dispense much water at a time, but even so..

Cant think of anything else at the moment :)

Re: VBM Junior progress and observations..

I am two days into owning one myself. Singles were like my Silvia and needed less tamp/coarser grind but i gave up as i take a double in general. Im using my VST double basket so Im comparing apples with apples form the Silvia.
    Same deal you mention with the steam from the hot water but i dont think it would be a surprise (Ive not checked the plumb route) but expect like having to do a cooling flush its the same deal.
    My pressure at brew bumps up to just over 10, but I am guessing this is about right allowing for the measure point to the actual grouphead being a drop off.
    My milk texturing took a turn when i just did a number of pitchers of water/soap drop and finally followed good guidance on this forum with care on the initial stretch then just plug the tip a little deeper and move towards the side. Its been pretty good though not perfect.
    I like the manuals that come with it, theres been some thought into them and they explain more than i was expecting looking at some of the other download pdfs so Kudos to VBM or ECA whomever is responsible.
    Cant say Im that positive on the new badging.

Thanks for the input. Im trying to be consistent with tamp (although I have played with lighter pressure occasionally) and only adjust the grind, to keep the variables down. I just dont seem to get the same lovely pour from the double, more watery than Id like. Ill stick with singles for a bit :) No big deal with the water, it does what I need (warming the cup, or small rinse). Agree the manual is pretty good, as far as these things go. The manual does say the brew gauge should read 9-9.5 but I cant recall if showing 10 is a problem, probably not. I havent tried the soap in water, but Im pretty confident my milk will slowly improve. Mine doesnt have badging on the front, just the back. I dont do a cooling flush like the manual says. I believe my unit is adjusted so only a quick rinse is sufficient. What badging does yours have? I think previous models had like a sticker of some sort on the front. Be interested in hearing how you progress with this great little machine :)

Snobb,

You can take the cover off the double spout.. Undo the screw take off the cover, re-insert the screw.. And you can put the single or double baskets in either single or double handle.

I think I remember reading 7-9 gms for a single and 14-16gms for a double basket. You can up dose but I find my vbm jr loves 15-16 gms for a double with a slightly finer grind.

Maybe you could try 15-16 gms in your double basket same grind then try a slightly finer grind at the same amount and see what you get.. Id say 12-13 is a bit much for a single ( thats just me and my jr* :) )

I also find my brew pressure is 10-10.5 on the dial but figure at the group its slightly lower also due to a pressure drop off at the head.

wonder

I would imagine the Junior is a great machine. I am looking at getting one for my office. I have the Super at home.
    Re the pressure - 10 at the gauge should be a bout 9 at the grouphead so you are spot on. You can adjust if you want though.
    Regarding your double - if it is a bit waterery grind finer - I also find that if I grind finer and let the shot run for approx 30-40 mils in 45 seconds I get a great smooth well balanced espresso. A Ristretto if you like. Dont be afraid to take more time. In fact if you finish the shot too soon it will be bitter and watery.
    Enjoy your great machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 507D5751565B220 link=1339816761/4#4 date=1340536648
    In fact if you finish the shot too soon it will be bitter and watery
    :o Thats the first time i have heard that suggestion ! :o
    The reverse is more often the case !

Perhaps you misunderstood or i was not clear - if the shot only lasts 15 seconds and you get 30 mils of coffee then the shot is pouring too fast and will be waterery and bitter.

Ive got the same machine. Having a few issues with tightness of the brew lever but other than that its great.

Im still having so much trouble stretching milk!

Quote Originally Posted by 3F12383E39344D0 link=1339816761/6#6 date=1340626037
    Perhaps you misunderstood or i was not clear - if the shot only lasts 15 seconds and you get 30 mils of coffee then the shot is pouring too fast and will be waterery and bitter.
    it depends on if you are pouring using a double basket or not, If you get 30 ml from 15 seconds in that case, then yes, You have got the right grind (supposedly, I tend to go for more of a doppio ristretto rather then a doppio espresso myself)

Truth is, theres no hard and fast rules, the 30 ml in 30 seconds is only a rough guide

Does anyone know how often and if it is necessary to clean the water reservoir like it states in the manual?

Does anyone else have no pictures in their manual so where it refers to a diagram there isn't one? Any idea if I can get the manual for this machine online? I can't see one when I search.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by vjrossi View Post
    Thanks for the input. Im trying to be consistent with tamp (although I have played with lighter pressure occasionally) and only adjust the grind, to keep the variables down. I just dont seem to get the same lovely pour from the double, more watery than Id like. Ill stick with singles for a bit No big deal with the water, it does what I need (warming the cup, or small rinse). Agree the manual is pretty good, as far as these things go. The manual does say the brew gauge should read 9-9.5 but I cant recall if showing 10 is a problem, probably not. I havent tried the soap in water, but Im pretty confident my milk will slowly improve. Mine doesnt have badging on the front, just the back. I dont do a cooling flush like the manual says. I believe my unit is adjusted so only a quick rinse is sufficient. What badging does yours have? I think previous models had like a sticker of some sort on the front. Be interested in hearing how you progress with this great little machine
    Hello Tino,

You can be confident your machine runs at 9 bar. I know that because we used a Scace II device to set it during the bench test. It's far more accurate than your gauge.

FWIW, I'd recommend you hone your technique with the double rather the single and then if you insist on using the single, modify the dose to suit.

You're welcome to make a time to come in and pull a few shots under my gaze if it so suits.

Cheers

Chris

http://www.1st-line.com/machines/com...de7a_press.pdf
    Pretty much the same info as for the Junior regarding the HX etc. Some parts differ of course

Quote Originally Posted by DavidW1960 View Post
    Does anyone else have no pictures in their manual so where it refers to a diagram there isn't one? Any idea if I can get the manual for this machine online? I can't see one when I search.

Yeah I found that and it's pretty much the same as the Junior. Thanks.