Thread: Maintenance ?

Maintenance ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was just wondering if there is any home maintenance that I am suppose to be doing on my machine on a semi regular basis?

This is my first real machine (had it for about 2-3 months now), and with my previous cheap thermoblock machines there was a list of "recommended" maintenance items (eg descaling etc).

Im currently chemically backflushing about every 2-3 weeks, but thats about all that I have been doing. I have had a quick search and found suggestions of taking apart and lubricating/greasing the E-61 lever cam but not much else. So my question is what should I be doing to look after my machine?

Re: Maintenance ?

Hi M, much the same as you. I water back flush after every "session" be it 1 or 6 coffees. Chemical back flush every 2 weeks. I also lube the cam as I did have wear issues with the chemical stripping the lube away. If you run good "coffee" water to minimise scale descaling should be a rare event. Other than that just common sense with the water tank etc.

Steve

Thanks for that. Im using water from a Brita C150 unit that I got from Bombora (but I did use the machine for about a month with just normal filtered water, before I knew that I needed a special filter).

What type of lube/grease are you using, and how often are you lubing the cam?

Cheers,
    M

There is a sticky posted here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1229912598 [hope the link works] It is in the general brewing section. I am using Inox food grade grease exact product I can check tonight at home. I brought it from E**y but I believe Jacar sell it also. Not sure if any of the sponsors carry it, they didnt back when I brought it. Its a simple job and once you have done it a couple of times it will take you all of 3 or 4 minutes. The Brita will take good care so scale shouldnt be too much of a hassle either :)

Steve

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 072524254A0 link=1340066963/3#3 date=1340085897
    There is a sticky posted here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1229912598 [hope the link works] It is in the general brewing section. I am using Inox food grade grease exact product I can check tonight at home. I brought it from E**y but I believe Jacar sell it also. Not sure if any of the sponsors carry it, they didnt back when I brought it. Its a simple job and once you have done it a couple of times it will take you all of 3 or 4 minutes. The Brita will take good care so scale shouldnt be too much of a hassle either :)

Steve
    We have 2 grades available: http://shop.talkcoffee.com.au/collections/types?q=Cleaning+and+maintenance

Thanks Steve and Chris.

Chris, whats the difference between the 2 greases that you stock? (apart from $10 :P )

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 604C5E58594C2D0 link=1340066963/5#5 date=1340087639
    Thanks Steve and Chris.

Chris, whats the difference between the 2 greases that you stock? (apart from $10 :P )
    Gday Masuta,

If you read through the specs, you will see that the grease is rated to a higher temp than the lube.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, so the grease looks like the better choice.

Apart from backflushing and greasing the cam is there anything else I should be doing. Do I need to be replacing seals or O-Rings? I forget where I read it, but someone mentioned replacing the o-rings in the OPV is required.

Cheers,
    M

Masuta, my junior is 3 years old come November. I like you were concerned about what I needed to do. I brought a shower screen, GH seal & valve seal kit for "when they were needed". I have replaced zilch. Keep it clean & the cam greased and look after the other stuff as it is required........that is one of the keys I have learned here.

Steve :) :)

and many happy coffees :)

Pretty much its bring the machine back to your retailer every 12 months for a service, or 6 months if you want to be really onto the maintenance side of things.

Your OPV is a commercial-quality expansion valve and will need no attention, anti-vac and safety valves should also give you a few years before the seals perish. The only thing is if you leave the machine on for long periods of time the group seal may harden quicker than normal. Otherwise, if there is no hissing or water where there shouldnt be, all is well and if it aint broke dont fix it would be my advice :)