Thread: Brew Lever VBM Domobar Junior Tight & Stiff

Brew Lever VBM Domobar Junior Tight & Stiff

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

Im new here and have come from an automatic machine to the VBM Domobar Junior. Ive only had the machine for a couple of weeks and in the last couple of days we have noticed the brew lever being really stiff and tight when pulling a shot. We moved the microswitch back which fixed it for a short time but it is happening again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? Does it need lubrication somewhere? Is this something that happens to all machines? Is it possible for this to even happen after owning the machine for just two weeks?

We backflush using the blind filter with water at the end of every day. Is this what we are supposed to be doing? We have not done any kind of backflushing with the cleaner just yet. Im not 100% sure as to how often the cleaner should be used. Can anyone recommend how often this should be done?

Cheers!

TC

Re: Brew Lever VBM Domobar Junior Tight & Stiff

Quote Originally Posted by 404F55494E4F58514842424E4D4E210 link=1340609506/0#0 date=1340609506
    Can anyone recommend how often this should be done?
    I can!

I recommend that it should be done by taking it back to the place of purchase and asking your selling dealer to do it for you. Its the best thing to do with machines under warranty. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 182D2027130F232A2A29294C0 link=1340609506/1#1 date=1340611257
    Quote Originally Posted by 404F55494E4F58514842424E4D4E210 link=1340609506/0#0 date=1340609506
    Can anyone recommend how often this should be done?
    I can!

I recommend that it should be done by taking it back to the place of purchase and asking your selling dealer to do it for you. Its the best thing to do with machines under warranty. ;)
    Im asking how often I should use the cleaner and backflush with that.

But are you saying for the stiffness/tightness issue of the brew lever I should just take it back to the dealer that sold me the machine?

My lever was also tight and stiff when new. It can be normal. But it can also be a sign of a faulty microswitch. My microswitch needed replacing under warranty - but it used to be very stiff and made a grating noise when pulled in the up position.

So as Chris suggested, best to discuss it with your place of purchase and let them inspect it.

In terms of backflushing. You should do a daily backflush with water and then either once a week or fortnight - depending on use, backflush with cleaner. You dont need very much cleaner either 1/4 teaspoon or less shoud do it. Also the lever will get even stiffer after a chemical backflush.

I found that back flushing can strip the lubricating grease from the lever cam, causing it to rub metal-on-metal.

Check out this thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1229912598

The hex nut at the end of the cam comes off fairly easily, and the lever pops off allowing access to the rotating assembly, where a small amount of "food grade grease" (molykote - proper stuff for espresso machines suitable for high temps/pressure/etc) can be applied. Then the lever moves smoothly. I think this is something that should be done as part of a routine service - is it not mentioned in the VBM manual?

But yes, if its easy for you to do so, just take it back to the shop and they can inspect it...

We took the machine back to the store and they basically re-positioned the microswitch. The brew lever eventually got very stiff and hard again so we took it back and they put a new microswitch on. This is a thicker microswitch that they ordered. This is what they said in the email.

"p.s. We found out yesterday that the switch issue has surfaced elsewhere. The local distributor is going to encourage the manufacturer to change over the switch to the type that you’ll be getting tomorrow."

Blog Entries
    Good result.
    Often those sorts of problems only appear after real use... you can bench test all day and not see some problems.

The upside is that now its a known problem the suppliers can provide a better switch and faster resolution to others that it happens to.

Would any other VBM Junior users advise if they have had the switch replaced recently? I am loathe to lose the machine taking it in for service but mine is grinding awfully because the switch button idnt pressed in squarely (Ive tried loosening and adjusting but its at its highest point). I'd like to know if the "new" switch has proven to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonypiccolo View Post
    We took the machine back to the store and they basically re-positioned the microswitch. The brew lever eventually got very stiff and hard again so we took it back and they put a new microswitch on. This is a thicker microswitch that they ordered. This is what they said in the email.

"p.s. We found out yesterday that the switch issue has surfaced elsewhere. The local distributor is going to encourage the manufacturer to change over the switch to the type that you’ll be getting tomorrow."

TC
    We have found that if positioned correctly, the OEM switch does not present any problem. You should have some gap between the lever cam and the switch itself. Only enough of a press to activate the pump is required. A check and reposition of the switch body if required is part of our bench test.

There should be no need to leave a machine to have a switch adjusted as it's literally a 5 minute task. I would have thought it could be attended to on the spot.

FYI Anthony's two issues are unrelated.

Thanks Chris. Regardless of where the witch is located the actuation by the lever cam presses the switch at a downward angle which is where the grinding/resistance occurs. Perhaps theres a lock nut on the inside of the panel thats loosening and causing the switch to stick out further. Its certainly not functioning smoothly. A shorter "button" looks more appropriate.

TC
    That's correct. There are lock nuts on both sides. It just requires repositioning.

Brew Lever VBM Domobar Junior Tight & Stiff

I can verify Chris' advice on this one. I had the same problem with my junior (and was stressing out about it!) Chris fixed it within about a minute and a half and it was perfect once again. Big relief it was such s simple problem. To fix!!

Jolly good one for tomorrow morning! Thanks for confirming.
    Quote Originally Posted by EspressoBrad View Post
    I can verify Chris' advice on this one. I had the same problem with my junior (and was stressing out about it!) Chris fixed it within about a minute and a half and it was perfect once again. Big relief it was such s simple problem. To fix!!

I've had the same problem on a few occasions over the last 2 years since owning the machine. It's more noticeable after backflushing.
    I put it down to the brew lever pushing against the button on a slight angle.
    Seems like too much trouble to take the machine in for such a minor problem, and being without the machine is almost inconceivable. So, this is probably not the best thing to do, but the first few times I just dabbed some saliva on the button with my index finger, and the latest time I dabbed a touch of vaseline. Fixed

Rob

TC
    Guys- its a really easy fix. Screwdriver + open end spanner/small shifter

• Take the cover off
    • Loosen front lock nut on the switch a few turns
    • Take up the slack at the rear
    • Test and repeat until you have it working to your satisfaction
    • Add a little silicon grease to the shaft of the switch if you so wish.

I'd reckon even the most mechanically challenged bloke could manage it.