Thread: Faema e98 noises

MrT

Faema e98 noises

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

Just got my hands on a second hand e98 compact s1, and I'm just sorting out normal noises from potentially problematic ones.

I noticed that on a very tight shot, the pump makes a pulsing noise rather than a continuous noise. Is this normal, or cause for concern? The water doesn't appear to fluctuate though...

Also, the boiler cutting in and out is very clunky, but I assume this is part of it being industrious.

Also, there is a faint hissing/whistle when the machine sits idle for a bit. Normal?

Thanks
    Matt

any chance of a video of the suspected problematic sounds? the whistle is possibly from the antivac valve not sealing properly. possibly due to some scale build-up or needs replacing.
    Last edited by saoye; 20th July 2012 at 08:31 AM.

Yep video would be helpful. The hissing sounds like the boiler system not sealing properly, most likely the o ring on the anti vac valve or build up as suggested.

Cheers

Mate I know wat I'm trying to say but the fingers keep typing the wrong things! I've corrected to antivac valve. That's wat you get for writing in a forum at 2am in the morning.

I know what you mean, was just suggesting it could be as simple as a perished o-ring on the anti vac valve.

Cheers

Agree with the others here that the hissing is most likely the anti-vac valve. Try replacing the o-ring.

The point about the boiler cutting in and out noise - I assume you mean the clicking sound of the Sirai pressurestat. Yep, that clicking sound is normal.

I'm not sure what you mean by the pump noise though.

MrT
    Cool. You guys are awesome.

So, I've opened up the machine, and the hissing/spitting noise is coming from a valve at the top of the boiler. Now that you mention it, it looks very much like it would let air into the boiler, but not out (when I tap the little nipple bit at the top with a spanner it lets air out. Feels spring loaded or something too). I suspect this is the so-called anti vac value you people speak ok. Does what is says on the tin really... Where's the best place to get replacement parts? I don't want to take it to a repairer, as it looks like a simple job. Just an o-ring you think? Size?

Ill try and get a video of the pump noise.

Thanks!

MrT
    Here is a video of the hissing. I didn't have any luck getting one of the pump noise (seems to be intermittent). When I get one, I'll post it too.

Faema e98 hissing noise - YouTube

yep, that's the anti-vac. it works similar to the valve in a pressure cooker. If you're not sure of the o-ring size you can always take the valve with you. It's easy to remove...just make sure your machine is off and cool when you do!

I got an o-ring of the correct size from an auto parts store.

Yep, or a bearing supplier. the local auto stores did not have anything small enough, the bearing supply shops have a heap of this stuff. or you can replace the whole valve, they are not expensive, I got bits previously from coffeeparts, great service from them.

Cheers