Thread: Faema e98 compact s1 leak

MrT

Faema e98 compact s1 leak

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

Again, trying to sort out normal from abnormal with my new (second hand) e98 s1 compact.

I noticed that, when I run a blind filter, there is a small amount of water that leaks into the drip tray during the shot. Is this normal? Video below:
    e98 potential leak - YouTube

This is other than the flush of water when the shot is stopped.

Thanks
    Matt

I've never used one of these so I cant say for sure, but it's probably just the output of the OPV on your machine. These are usually routed to either the drip tray or water tank.

Yep, normal. The overpressure valve on these machines empties in to the drip tray. You can add a tube to the valve to run it back to the tank instead, as I have done to mine.

MrT
    Thanks guys.

Bill, what kind of tube did you use? Diameter? Length? Silicone for the heat?

So you just put the tube into the top of the tank? There wasnt any issues with the water going "uphill"?

Photo?

Thanks. I'm pretty keen to try this. I lose a lot of water just from the OPV.
    Matt

MrT
    So, can anyone help with the tube to run from the OPV back to the tank?

I've found a place online that sells silicone tube by the metre (bunnings didn't have any) but I'm not sure of the diameter. 8mm? 6mm? What length?

Also, will I have to spin the OPV around? It seems like there isn't enough room at the front of the machine for some tube to stick out and bend around...

Thanks
    Matt

TC
    Hello Matt,

It will almost certainly be this.

I am uncertain as to what length Coffeeparts sell though. It looks like it may be a per metre price- which should be ample.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Thanks guys.

Bill, what kind of tube did you use? Diameter? Length? Silicone for the heat?

So you just put the tube into the top of the tank? There wasnt any issues with the water going "uphill"?

Photo?

Thanks. I'm pretty keen to try this. I lose a lot of water just from the OPV.
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I used silicone tubing from CoffeeParts. Not sure what diameter - I'll have to check. No issues with water going uphill. If you look next to the water tank where the existing 2 tubes go to the tank, you'll see an extra hole which is plugged up. Just remove that plug and inset a grommet in there and run the extra tube through that. So you'll now have 3 tubes there instead of 2.

So, can anyone help with the tube to run from the OPV back to the tank?

I've found a place online that sells silicone tube by the metre (bunnings didn't have any) but I'm not sure of the diameter. 8mm? 6mm? What length?

Also, will I have to spin the OPV around? It seems like there isn't enough room at the front of the machine for some tube to stick out and bend around...

Thanks
    Matt
    No need to spin the OPV around. Yes, not much space - it is very tight. You can bend the copper pipe to the OPV, very slightly, if you need another few millimetres of room to the front panel of the machine. Smaller diameter tubing is preferable so it can bend around a tighter angle. I'll see if I can find any photos.

Well I've measured the tubing that I have used and it seems to be 8mm OD and 5mm ID. Usually you'd buy by the metre, and 1m would be plenty (would probably only use half of that). I can't find any photos of the installation, however if you still want to see, I can take some photos when I have time.

MrT
    Thanks heaps everyone for your help. As I write this I'm looking at the orange light on my machine, which is annoying because I only recently filled the tank. This should help a lot!

Bill, a photo might be helpful, but no stress either way. I'm pretty sure I understand and can figure it out.

Cheers
    Matt

If like me, you find that the pump seems to cut out when there is still plenty of water in the tank, you can also lower the level that the light comes on, as well as the level that the pump cuts out. There is a device in the box under the drip tray with 2 screws that can adjust these settings. It's shown in the user manual, although I seem to recall the screws being labelled around the wrong way in the manual.