Thread: Another newbie help

Another newbie help

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, I am confused. Have been reading here for the last month. Budget went from 500 to1800 dollars. I am now tossing up between ns musica, la spaziale and the BReville. Love the looks of musica, reliability of Vivaldi and price of breville. Also need a grinder. Currently have full auto de longhi. I have bought some freshly roasted beans and now realize what I have missed out on. So behmor roaster is also on the cards, maybe even before the machine, and I will,give good old moka pot another go in the meantime. Money is tight but want the best value for my only. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Wendy

My best advice Wendy is to speak to a site sponsor.
    I've found they can best help you sort our your wants and needs within budget.

Hi Wendy - I have a NS Musica and absolutely love it, both in looks and ease of use. In terms of reliability, I've had it now for about 18 months and it hasn't skipped a beat, however I guess that's not a huge time in terms of longevity as far as machines are concerned.

However, if your budget is only $1,800, you probably wouldn't be able to afford one of these, let alone a decent grinder and definitely not the Behmor as well. I haven't seen any second hand Musica's come onto the market yet - I think those of us that have them, love them too much to sell them yet!

My suggestion would be to go with a cheaper machine (maybe a Lelit PL041 - without the in-built grinder at around $650), around $600 on a good grinder, $400 on the Behmor and, with what you have left over, but a tamper, tamp mat, milk jug and some extra green beans to play with.

This will make a fantastic starter kit and then you can start upgrading bit by bit on the machine and grinder. This is how I did it, and I'm now up to around $2,400 for my machine and $1,100 for my grinder. It hasn't hurt as much, because each time I upgrade, I sell what I'm replacing second-hand so recoup some money to help recoup what I've just spent (which reminds me, I really have to clean up my previous grinder and put it up for sale!!! I'm hopeless...)

Whereabouts are you located?

And welcome to the expensive hobby/addiction of being a CoffeeSnob!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee2Di4 View Post
    Hi Wendy - I have a NS Musica and absolutely love it, both in looks and ease of use. In terms of reliability, I've had it now for about 18 months and it hasn't skipped a beat, however I guess that's not a huge time in terms of longevity as far as machines are concerned.

However, if your budget is only $1,800, you probably wouldn't be able to afford one of these, let alone a decent grinder and definitely not the Behmor as well. I haven't seen any second hand Musica's come onto the market yet - I think those of us that have them, love them too much to sell them yet!

My suggestion would be to go with a cheaper machine (maybe a Lelit PL041 - without the in-built grinder at around $650), around $600 on a good grinder, $400 on the Behmor and, with what you have left over, but a tamper, tamp mat, milk jug and some extra green beans to play with.

This will make a fantastic starter kit and then you can start upgrading bit by bit on the machine and grinder. This is how I did it, and I'm now up to around $2,400 for my machine and $1,100 for my grinder. It hasn't hurt as much, because each time I upgrade, I sell what I'm replacing second-hand so recoup some money to help recoup what I've just spent (which reminds me, I really have to clean up my previous grinder and put it up for sale!!! I'm hopeless...)

Whereabouts are you located?

And welcome to the expensive hobby/addiction of being a CoffeeSnob!
    Budget is not including behmor. I am from Melbourne. It is that I love the musica's looks that much

Yep, I can relate to that - I've got the Lux version that has the pretty LED lights on the side...sigh! If you were in Brisbane, I was going to offer you a coffee at my place so you could come around and drool!

There are a couple of site sponsors in Melbourne that would be more than happy for you to have a play and talk to you about options - I'd maybe give one of them a call and see if you could tee up a time to pay them a visit.

Cheers
    Di

Hi Di, just realized your user name. I also love the lux version. Very nice from you to help. Would love to come and drool. Yes, I think I will have to take the plunge, however I do not like the looks of the traditional machines. I do realize That this is not the most important prt, but for this kind of money I also like the machine to look good. I just want to makethevright decision and breville is tempting for the price.

Yep, you don't have to sell me on the 'looks, part of the equation - I went from an E61 Lever traditional machine and sold that to buy the Musica, much to the hilarity of some of my CS friends, but I couldn't be happier to tell the truth. Well, maybe apart from one day saving up my pennies and buying an Izzy Alex Duetto, but that is a long way down the track!

Good luck with the hunt - it's a fun journey and worth every cent you pay on the way!

Cheers
    Di

What ever machine you buy, make sure you have a decent burr grinder or the machine will be wasted. I'd also suggest a full manual over a semi auto to reduce the things that can go wrong. I'm also a big fan of E61 group based machines as it has stood the test of time. Choose a machine that is well built and well known over newer models that are an unknown from a reliabilty and service perspective. My ECM Giotto Classic is still going strong after 8+ years.

TC
    G'day bukkie,

One possibility which comes to mind and is as yet unmentioned is the Lelit PL60 dual boiler machine. If you were to push your local appliance retailer on price for a Breville Smart grinder, you'd have enough funds remaining to grab our <5 shot demo?

A compak K3P grinder would be better, but would push you over budget.

Just a thought....

Chris

Thanks all for your help. Do you think I would be better off with the Lelit then the Breville? Price difference is big. And what about a smart grinder combined with a Musica? Or would that not work. Just do not like the looks of the Lelit and it has a focal point in our kitchen.

TC
    Hi bukkie,

That's a question only you will be able to answer.

FWIW, I think it's likely that parts for the Lelit will be around for a whole heap longer and I'd bet that resale value will be a much higher %.

As per usual CS advice, do try to buy the best grinder you can afford and complete your package from there. Even a 2nd hand Silvia will produce great coffee in skilled hands.

Chris

I own a Musica and have found it to be a great machine (I did have some problems with the first one but it was replaced under warranty). It is easy to use and I have not made a bad cup since dialing in the grinder the first time. If you can't afford a new grinder keep an eye on the for sale section on this site. I personally would shoot for the best grinder you can afford. I would suggest going to a Sponsor and having a look and play with the various machines. You will find one that suits you. I started with a Sunbeam 6010 and Sunbeam grinder then I upgraded the grinder to Mazzer and then upgraded to the Musica. The cost was spread out but I now have an excellent outfit that suits my needs. I personally would have gone for a Lever but the wife had other ideas when she saw the Musica and as they say Happy wife - Happy Life.

Thanks Stan. I was ready to buy the breville, then I saw the musica. Reviews that I found are not that fantastic, but both you and Di seem very happy. I just love the look of this machine. Would breville maybe be a better choice to start with?

I'd say, if you can afford a Musica and a good grinder, you might as well start there. The Musica is relatively simple to use and it's going to prove no real benefit if you start on a cheaper machine - if anything, I think cheaper machines *can* be more difficult to use in some cases! Go with your heart (and purse)!

And Stan and I are always available to ask question of if you need help.

Cheers
    Di