Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By TC
  • 2 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By Jonathon

Thread: E61 (VBM) service kits?

E61 (VBM) service kits?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Does anyone sell any sort of routine maintenance kit for E61 machines? I'm thinking it would be good to occasionally overhaul, tear it down and replace the seals and gaskets. Mine is 5 years old now, I've done the group head seal a few times but I've had intermittent leaks from the brew valve (thankfully working ok now).

If no kits exist, what would be a recommended list of parts to service?

TC
    Hi Matt,

At 5 years, I'd be looking at:
    • group seal and shower screen
    • descale?
    • group piston set. The lever cam followers are most likely worn and the seals will be on the way out
    • check lever cam for wear
    • valve grommets and lubrication
    • lubricate group cam and most likely new cam o-rings
    • We would also be checking for any other issues as reported by the client.

There is no "kit" available as such, but that doesn't mean that one couldn't be assembled for you.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Hi Chris,
    How often should we service them? My junior that I got off you about 2 years ago makes about 3 coffees a day on average filtered water only. I back flush every day without the chemical and once a fortnight run the chemical back flush. Never missed a beat but wondering if there is anything I should do now its been about 2 years, shower screen and group seal? Descale?
    Cheers
    Phill

What brand of back flushing detergent should be used on a VBM? found some generic home brand and decided against it. Is fortnightly chemical back flushing required? or is it too much... I'd be looking at monthly chemical back flushing with water back flushing after every coffee making session.

Quote Originally Posted by javatime View Post
    What brand of back flushing detergent should be used on a VBM? found some generic home brand and decided against it. Is fortnightly chemical back flushing required? or is it too much... I'd be looking at monthly chemical back flushing with water back flushing after every coffee making session.
    I've found Cafetto EVO available from Coffee Parts to be a good product (see link) using 1/2 a teaspoon once a week, 500 grams will last for a long time.
    Barista Accessories Cafetto Coffee Machine and Grinder Cleaning Products | Coffee Parts

TC
    I'm not so sure what "home brand" is when you are talking backflushing powder. We sell this one and it's excellent. 1/3 teaspoon is plenty.

In response to your question on frequency- daily or twice daily in a cafe, weekly for a home machine. Coffee oils go rancid and will taint the result in the cup so rather than looking at monthly, I suggest a recalibration of outlook to weekly.
    Last edited by TC; 21st November 2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Dimal and Yelta like this.

I read that the use of chemical back flushing can affect the lever action and make it squeak. I will probably revise it to every 3 weeks. As some say fortnightly and some montly. I pull 2-3 shots daily.

Also when is it advised to take out the shower screen for a cleaning?

I read that the use of chemical back flushing can affect the lever action and make it squeak.
    That's what grease is for.

I will probably revise it to every 3 weeks.
    In a word, DON'T!

Java "Respect the 'buds!" phile
    Dimal and TC like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    In a word, DON'T!
    I agree. I do my home machine machine weekly but if I miss a week or more then there's a noticeable increase in yucky stuff (technical term there) that comes out, which can't possibly be helping my coffee.

Incidentally I typically pull 2-3 shots daily and 5-6 at weekends.

What part of Talk Coffee's response didn't you understand Javatime? he's a very knowledgeable bloke, weekly is the go.
    I remove the shower screen and clean it, and under it, every time I chemical back flush (weekly)

Another vote for weekly backflushing here.
    And a small amount of food grade lubricant for the cam as required.

Probably don't do my shower screen often enough, but try to do it every few weeks. The issue for me is that backflushing is a 'hot machine' job and shower screen is a 'cold machine' job and my machine is rarely cold when I am home.

Brett.

ok. You guys are the experts... so I'll need to pick up some back flushing cleaner in the next few days. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
    The issue for me is that backflushing is a 'hot machine' job and shower screen is a 'cold machine' job and my machine is rarely cold when I am home.
    C'mon mate, toughen up! It's not like it can be hotter than about 95 degrees.

But seriously, I like to wash my E61 shower screen at least twice weekly. Admittedly it's so easy on a E61 compared to machines than use a screw.
    fatboy_1999 likes this.