Thread: Group head thermometer on my NS Musica - advice?

Group head thermometer on my NS Musica - advice?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I'd like to install a thermometer on my Musica (HX). Its not an E-61. Any suggestions on where to buy the components and how to install one? Ideally I'd like to measure the brew water temp.

Thanks.

The majority of groupheads have an instrumentation port of some type on them, usually an M6 port, as to the location on the Musica, I can't really advise as I'm not familiar with NS groups.

There are a couple of places you can get adapters which will allow you to mount a thermocouple in the instrumentation port, pid silvia (non-sponsor) is the first one I recall off hand, then you connect it to a temperature display, I'd suggest using a cheap PID for temperature read-out (because they are generally cheaper than straight digital temperature read-outs, NFI why, presumably something to do with manufacturing volumes), ideally you want to find a T-Type thermocouple as they are more accurate than the (more readily available) K-Type thermocouples (+/- 1.0 deg C for the less accurate (there are two accuracy grades) T-types versus +/- 2.5 deg C for the most accurate K-types).

Thanks for the advice jbrewster.
    Has anyone made a similar mod before and can advise a good supplier for the components?

Cheers.

I've done a similar mod to my Faema E98. Ordered parts from erics on the HB forum.

Just to clarify these tapped holes in groups rarely have anything to do with intended temperature or pressure monitoring - they are plugged holes left over from cross-drilling water channels through the solid brass castings. Using these ports for temp probes etc is a convenient afterthought.

Theres a thread on HB about doing this with an NS Oscar, which looks like the same group design, no 6mm port there so additional plumbing was required