Thread: Bezzera minibar restoration project - worth it?

Bezzera minibar restoration project - worth it?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello fellow Coffeenuts
    Recently I picked up an old Bezzera Minibar from the local recycling centre for a few dollars. I know little about HX/E61 machines: my current machine is the Sylvia which I'm very happy with; before that a Sunbeam EM6910. Looking inside I could see, apart from various 8-legged friends, signs of leaking around the base of the boiler (azure coloured deposit - although this may have come from the top of the boiler) as well as repairs there. The attached photos hopefully show this up as well as general external condition. Apart from assembling the case and various s/s covers/trays and giving the face a clean, it's in original condition. The water everywhere was from me spilling the tank while lugging it around.
    I thought about selling this initially, but I put in some water and started it up and ... it ran! Pump, steam, hot water, pressure gauge (wasn't game to take it far) and group head flow. I don't know how to fill the boiler (as per the Sylvia), but I believe from reading around that it should happen automatically from the tank but I couldn't see the level changing in the level indicator on the bottom right of the face nor could I hear a pump operating until I switched on the pour switch (the r/h one).
    It looks as if it has been around the block but it's an enigma to me and as so is a challenging project. And we all need a project ... Lots of questions and a steep learning curve to come; like: what's that toggle switch on the front left above the model name? I haven't seen that before on other pics of this machine.
    Anyway, is it worth it? What issues could come up? Where to start? I can see at least a major descaling operation, finding an operator's manual, perhaps replacing the boiler (?) etc. Maybe even repainting the case. Who knows? But it could be fun.
    regards
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes I remember it well enough and no, I wouldnt bother especially if the boiler is leaking and someone has attempted to repair it previously.

No "vintage" value here AFAIAC.

Awww - and I liked the knobs! Was this yours Fresh?
    Andrew

Nah..... I didnt mean "remember it well" in the context of having owned that machine, just that I remember the model.

Hi 1crem1,
    Wondering how your restoration project went?
    I'm looking at a similar prospect.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by danielmulcahy View Post
    Hi 1crem1,
    Wondering how your restoration project went?
    I'm looking at a similar prospect.
    Cheers,
    Hi,
    Sorry, I sold it in its unfinished state. Would have been worth it though as the plumbing was ok.
    Andrew