Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: New rig for under $2000 - Steam on the right hand side.

New rig for under $2000 - Steam on the right hand side.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello,

I've been around the forums for a few years and been making acceptable coffee at home with a simple little Krups machine and Sunbeam grinder. The Krups is still going and has lasted about 15 years. Recently I've been relocated at work and have had the luxury of using a commercial Rancilio machine each day and now i'm spoilt!

I'm looking for advise on either a small single group used commercial machine or a high quality domestic set up with grinder to match for around the 2 grand mark. I make about 2-4 cups per day always with milk. The steaming performance is important to me. I dont mind if it's used, it needs to have the ability to be run off a water tank and with the steam wand on the right hand side.. The place it can sit in my kitchen puts the left hand side into an awkward corner.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou!

Breville BES900 has a right hand steam arm, according to pics on resellers sites. And fits your budget.
    Big thread on it here on CS.

I started with a Krupps about 10 years ago, or more to the point I somehow killed my then new girlfriends Krupps about 10 years ago, which I then replaced with a Breville Cafe Roma, which I also killed after about 4 years, and then a sunbeam which ... you guessed it also bit the dust two days ago. I just spent 1350 on a the breville BES900 and associated grinder, though I've not had a chance to play with the grinder, the BES900 appears to be a better machine than I am a barrista, however the pressurised baskets that come with it are quite forgiving. The steam arm is ion the right hand side and IMHO is simply fantastic, so much better than the Krups or either of the two heatblock boxes I subsequently had. The other nice thing about the BES900 is a neat little gimmick that lets you easily prop up an omnidirectional roller under the base of the unit which makes it easy to move around on space constrained benchtops, which sounds like it might come in handy.

I've put some posts up on my experience with the BES900 on the owners thread if you're interested, overall I'm quite happy with the unit, but I'll only really know if its all it's cracked up to be after I've had a chance to put some freshly roasted beans through a decent grinder with the unpressurized filters.

Regards
    John

Izzo Vivi

Quote Originally Posted by Longfeatherz View Post
    I started with a Krupps about 10 years ago, or more to the point I somehow killed my then new girlfriends Krupps about 10 years ago, which I then replaced with a Breville Cafe Roma, which I also killed after about 4 years, and then a sunbeam which ... you guessed it also bit the dust two days ago. I just spent 1350 on a the breville BES900 and associated grinder, though I've not had a chance to play with the grinder, the BES900 appears to be a better machine than I am a barrista, however the pressurised baskets that come with it are quite forgiving. The steam arm is ion the right hand side and IMHO is simply fantastic, so much better than the Krups or either of the two heatblock boxes I subsequently had. The other nice thing about the BES900 is a neat little gimmick that lets you easily prop up an omnidirectional roller under the base of the unit which makes it easy to move around on space constrained benchtops, which sounds like it might come in handy.

I've put some posts up on my experience with the BES900 on the owners thread if you're interested, overall I'm quite happy with the unit, but I'll only really know if its all it's cracked up to be after I've had a chance to put some freshly roasted beans through a decent grinder with the unpressurized filters.

Regards
    John
    The Izzo Vivi from Chris at Talk Coffee has the steam wand on the right side will be in or very close to your budget and has a very good reputation.

TC
    Yes- I had thought of suggesting that, but the budget is to include a grinder, so with say a K3P would push potex more like 25% over budget.

I did recommend the Diadema Junior Semi-Auto PUL/K3P via PM but on a 2nd reading of the brief, it's no go as the steam wand is on the left.

One thing to keep in mind is that sponsor Rick Bond (The Coffee Machinist) if offering the steam/water switcharoo as on of his services....

Chris
    mellcrystal likes this.

Izzo Vivi

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Yes- I had thought of suggesting that, but the budget is to include a grinder, so with say a K3P would push potex more like 25% over budget.

I did recommend the Diadema Junior Semi-Auto PUL/K3P via PM but on a 2nd reading of the brief, it's no go as the steam wand is on the left.

One thing to keep in mind is that sponsor Rick Bond (The Coffee Machinist) if offering the steam/water switcharoo as on of his services....

Chris
    Sorry my apologies didn t see the grinder included in the budget. There are few in the price bracket mentioned with the wand on the right bar the Izzo Vivi.

Thankyou for the replies.

How do people find the Izzo Vivi? What grinder would you pair with itif I expanded my budget?
    Thankyou
    -Ben

Izzo Vivi

Quote Originally Posted by potex View Post
    Thankyou for the replies.

How do people find the Izzo Vivi? What grinder would you pair with itif I expanded my budget?
    Thankyou
    -Ben
    If you look at the Talk Coffee website you will see the Izzo Vivi and i think Chris at Talk Coffee would match it with the Compak K3 grinder.

Another option - Lelit PL60T Dual Boiler - now with 58mm pf and steam arm on the right. You should be able to get it bundled with a K3 Touch or similar and you might even get both for your original budget...I owned a V1 PL60T and just recently sold it, and am seriously missing its quick heat up time. It's also a cracker of a steaming machine!

Sniff

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post
    Another option - Lelit PL60T Dual Boiler - now with 58mm pf and steam arm on the right. You should be able to get it bundled with a K3 Touch or similar and you might even get both for your original budget...I owned a V1 PL60T and just recently sold it, and am seriously missing its quick heat up time. It's also a cracker of a steaming machine!

Sniff
    It's a really nice combo too Sniff,

I took a V1 and K3T away for a few days as a traveller and was impressed with its performance.

how many coffee's does it need to make?

Is it just for a few cups in the morning or what?