• 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By michalsz
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 3 Post By michalsz
  • 1 Post By Pete39

Thread: THE biggest dog - Rocket Giotto V2

Angry THE biggest dog - Rocket Giotto V2

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    A recently bought (3 months ago) Rocket Giotto is the biggest dog of a machine. It continually reports "Low water" signal by flashing the light and then shutting itself off. Very very frustrating. In fact it's so frustrating I nearly smashed the whole thing with a hammer.

Something evil happens to a coffee drinker who can't his damn coffee in the morning. All attempts to reseat the tank, clean, wipe and make the machine level on the bench yielded exactly 0 progress.

I wouldn't buy another one of even if they were giving it for free!!

AN ABSOLUTE DOG!

Re: THE biggest dog - Rocket Giotto V2

So, one fault, and its the biggest dog of a machine? It could be something simple. If its only 3 months old, have it repaired under warranty.

Just a warning; as a first post, this is likely to attract a fair bit of flac (and suspicion of your agenda). Plenty of people here with knowledge of that machine, who Im sure will help, but the vendor should be your first port of call.

Wow thats not good,

I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for free

And I promise I will not smash it with my hammer
    starzz108 likes this.

Yes, very frustrating. It's very poor experience for the price and supposed quality of machine.

The machine will be going back on Monday to get fixed.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    So, rather than speak to the vendor, your first response to what is obviously a very annoying but likely minor fault, is to hit a public forum and declare that the machine is a dog. If Cadan doesn't get your machine I'll have it, though I might have to get it desexed and immunised first.
    starzz108 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by michalsz View Post
    It continually reports "Low water" signal by flashing the light and then shutting itself off. Very very frustrating.
    What type of water are you using? Tap water, distilled, filtered?

Why should I shy away from expressing opinion? Fact is that the machine costs a bomb and was sold to me under expectation of being highly reliable and the best machine for my needs. Fact is it's far from it.

I'm using filtered water from a 4-stage osmosis system. Incidentally, I have also noticed significant amount of water under the machine. I have checked the water tank valve to make sure it's seated correctly and it appears to be working fine.

What's happening is as follows:
    0. check for water in tank
    1. turn machine on and wait 5-10mins for pressure and temp to come up to required levels
    2. release steam a bit to warm up the wand
    3. fill group with coffee and install
    4. pull level
    5. this is where the problem occurrs. Machine pumps for 2-3s then light starts flashing and everything stops
    6. machine won't engage pump unless I turn the whole thing off, wait 30-40min and start over

I have also checked if the machine is level (with spirit level) as I understand this can disrupt the pump. Overall this has been going on for a while and I've been trying to diagnose and fix the problem. However no luck so far.
    xtanda likes this.

Why should I shy away from expressing opinion? Fact is that the machine costs a bomb and was sold to me under expectation of being highly reliable and the best machine for my needs. Fact is it's far from it.
    The reasonable thing to do would be wait until you find out what the issue is and express an opinion then. If it is a user issue you'll end up looking like a real dick.

Apparently the low water sensors require that the water used is conductive hence my earlier question re: the type of water you're using.
    Maybe your 4 stage RO system is removing too much of the mineral content making the water non-conductive?

The hostile nature of your rants don't belong on this forum. Very immature.

All manufactured goods have a small percentage of issues that need to be rectified after sale. Hence warranties.

If this is how you behave day to day maybe Karma has caught up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CafeLotta View Post
    The reasonable thing to do would be wait until you find out what the issue is and express an opinion then. If it is a user issue you'll end up looking like a real dick.

Apparently the low water sensors require that the water used is conductive hence my earlier question re: the type of water you're using.
    Maybe your 4 stage RO system is removing too much of the mineral content making the water non-conductive?

The hostile nature of your rants don't belong on this forum. Very immature.

All manufactured goods have a small percentage of issues that need to be rectified after sale. Hence warranties.

If this is how you behave day to day maybe Karma has caught up with you.
    Thanks for your advice. It's still very frustrating.

Thanks for your advice. It's still very frustrating.
    What CafeLotta is saying about reverse osmosis water is empty the machines water tank and fill it with tap water then give it a go.

RO water has had all of the minerals removed (too pure) and is not conductive Wont recognize the sensors.

TC
    Tradesman blames the tools... What a refreshing change.

Yes- there are a number of simple reasons why a Giotto will fail to register the presence of water.

With the tone of your entry to this forum, you are welcome to use the search function or google to find the answers yourself.
    Dragunov21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Tradesman blames the tools... What a refreshing change.

Yes- there are a number of simple reasons why a Giotto will fail to register the presence of water.

With the tone of your entry to this forum, you are welcome to use the search function or google to find the answers yourself.
    Michalsz, There's that Karma thing again. You just missed an opportunity to get some knowledgable advice from someone in the know.

I apologise to the forum. Clearly I overreacted.

It may be all sorts of things it may even be that your filter slows the supply of water to the machine causing the low water light/circuit to operate exactly as it should.

as an experiment can you bypass the filter and see if it behaves differently?

While I can understand your frustration on spending a lot of money and the machine not working properly.

The best way to try and get the problem fixed would be to have some sort of discussion with the supplier.

Try and stay calm and focus on the problem.

Venting your anger at the supplier may not get the best possible solution for you.

Best of luck.

A nice, mature response don_nairn and, I think, good advice. I also think more responses like this would make CS a nicer place - the real nasties would get bored and go away. Putting vinegar on a wound tends to make the screaming louder.

Pete
    simonko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by don_nairn View Post
    It may be all sorts of things it may even be that your filter slows the supply of water to the machine causing the low water light/circuit to operate exactly as it should.

as an experiment can you bypass the filter and see if it behaves differently?

While I can understand your frustration on spending a lot of money and the machine not working properly.

The best way to try and get the problem fixed would be to have some sort of discussion with the supplier.

Try and stay calm and focus on the problem.

Venting your anger at the supplier may not get the best possible solution for you.

Best of luck.
    Thanks, will do. I will aim to run the machine on tap water for a while to see if I can isolate the problem a bit further. While the water could be one issue, there was also some water under the machine which could a seal or another break somewhere.

Michalsz, I understand your frustration. One answer only. First thing Monday call your vendor. No point wasting energy fretting over the problem. As well, you run the risk of voiding the warranty if you play technician.

I second the notion that your RO water is the source of the Low Water problem. And... for what its worth... RO water yields a very dead and flat cup of coffee so you may want to rethink the type of water you pour into your machine.

Research your machine thoroughly, plenty of info online and on this forum including the effects of RO water on the sensors. Just out of curiosity what grinder have u paired up with the giotto?

Quote Originally Posted by saoye View Post
    Research your machine thoroughly, plenty of info online and on this forum including the effects of RO water on the sensors. Just out of curiosity what grinder have u paired up with the giotto?
    I have the Vario ceramic burr grinder. It has plenty of options and grinds very very fine if you want it. Or anything in between which the Giotto seems to like.

Mate, warranties exist for many reasons. Preventing a thread like this is one of them, although probably not one the company will actively base their warranties on. However that would be amusing in a conference for instance.

"How best should we cater for the consumer's warranty terms and conditions with this new product sir?"
    "Hmmmmm.........we should clearly state in the brochure that if the end user confronts a problem with their machine they are not in any circumstance to take to the local forums in a bid to defame and antagonise our respected company name and what we represent! THIS NEEDS TO BE A PRIORITY!"
    "Well done sir"

lolol jk but that might happen one day.

On topic though, instead of raging on the manufacturer straight away you should accept that 100% of the product sold wont be perfect and unfortunately you picked one that isn't. I work in electronics repairs and we see pretty much brand new TV's that have failed within 1-2 months of ownership. The customer is reasonably unsatisfied with this and that is normal, i'd be upset too. But, it's a fact of life that life itself isn't perfect, or fair, and we need to accept that.

Also, i see you wrote that you tried to diagnose and fix the problem yourself? I hope you didn't disassemble any non-user serviceable parts to do this. Some repairers hate it when the customer has had a go because they don't know what's gone on and if there is possible safety concerns. Plus it'd be stated in your warranty booklet or instruction manuals not to.
    I had a guy bring in a 6 month old Panasonic convection microwave oven and he'd had a bit of a go at it. He managed to squeeze the 240V wiring running to the convection motor and element between 2 fairly sharp metal edges. The only thing that saved it was the fibre sheathing over the wiring. If it hadn't been there to protect it he could easily have shorted 240V to the metal case and hurt or killed someone.
    Not saying that's something serious that you could have done, but rather what a repairer may be afraid of.

Good to see you have accepted your over-reaction. Things tend to run a lot smoother when you're not angry at it.

Steam needs to be released and a forum is a pretty harmless place for it I reckon. Better than kicking the cat.

As filtered water is recommended in the manual and RO is a common method of filtering drinking water, avoiding unremineralised RO water is exactly the thing I expect the manual and the dealer to point out. I know what it's like, you spend hours trying to ensure you're not doing something stupid to save the effort of returning the thing and the bill if it was your stupidity.

However as RO water is well known to cause low water level problems, wouldn't the control box prevent heating up in the first place, knowing that the boiler level sensors might also be being fooled? Or is the RO water is leaching so much copper out of your pipes and boiler everything's all confused
    Last edited by simonko; 15th April 2013 at 01:01 AM.