Thread: Problem with Giotto

Problem with Giotto

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all
    I have a Giotto Premium which until recently worked perfectly

The symptom is that when i pull a shot the process of moving the lever from the 45 degree position to horizontal causes a sort of grinding feel in the lever, the shot is still generated as per normal.

It started about a week a go but has got seriously worse to the point that now when a shot is pulled, the process of raising the lever actually makes the whole group head vibrate.

I have no idea what the inside of the whole coffee brewing group looks like but i get the impression that something is stuck/broken or grinding away in the mechanism some how. If i had to visualise the sound it would be like perhaps turning the paddle around on the spindle of the corretto while the spindle itself remains fixed.

Any ideas? Anyone come across this type of problem before?

I am organising for it to be looked at / repaired shortly but the machine will be out of action for at least a week due to logisitcal difficulties for me to get it back to the place of purchase.

So i guess its back to the stove pot. :(

Mal

TC

Re: Problem with Giotto

Should be an easy fix Mal,

Well loan you a demo (once we receive the new batch) and will have it done pronto for you...

Chris

Thanks Chris,
    I was curious to see if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. Not being able to see inside the area is frustrating, either that or its knowing that tomorrow morning i wake up to the pot and not an espresso. ;)

If i can find a decent courier, i may be able to arrange to have the machine delivered to you sooner?

Thanks for such prompt support emails today, i wish i got your level of service from other suppliers i use during my normal working day! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal

TC

No probs Mal. Sounds like a re-build of lever mechanism to me but Ill discuss with ECMs guru Monday 1st thing to verify as this is an until now, unseen problem....We will have parts on Wednesday and anticipate a 1 day turnaround...

Chris

Hi There
    I had a request from someone who experienced a similar issue with their machine and they wished to know if it was resolved.

In a nutshell yes ;D
    I took it back to where it was purchased from. Chris from Talk Coffee pulled it apart and suggested it was possibly because I was being over zealous with my cleaning even though I thought I was only using a fraction of the spoon measurement of the Cafetto espresso cleaner I have. Chris said that it appeared that the grease that is packed in around the spindle shaft had deteriorated due to possibly excessive use of cleaner.

He repacked the spindle with food grade grease and it is now working like a charm, I have not cleaned it since and it is due for a clean, I only do about 40 coffees per week so I may probably only clean once per fortnight.

If I find that the issue happens again then I need to take the machine back to him and we will get the spindle/mechanism replaced.

I do feel however that the machine is quieter now than it was about a week before the grinding started to occur in the mechanism. The machine definitely sounds quieter. Just like it did when I bought it last October.

All in all it was a great after sales experience. Thanks Chris! *[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Regards
    Mal

Hi Mal - I had a similar prob...a squeaky lever after a clean until 2mcm advised me to cut back on the amount of cleaner I was using.

I probably make about the same amount of coffees as yourself, however cleaning has become a weekly, Sunday evening ritual, with 1/4 teaspoon of cleaner and plenty of water only flushing of the group head.

Result: no more squeaking and always amazing how much gunk can build up so quickly.

Hi
    Thanks for the additional information.
    The cafetto cleaner i have has a little scoop in it and i think i will use less each time from now on.
    When i first bought the machine i was told that it will squeak a little after a clean as the coffee oils also act as a lubricant but i guess i was just using too much.
    I just cleaned the machine today for the first time in 2 weeks and used about a 1/5th of the scoop and found that after pushing water through the group head about 6 times there was still a little mound of cleaner on the flush plate.

I think i will use less again next time, perhaps i dont build up enough coffee oil in the group head because my current grinder isnt perfectly matched to the machine. I will be purchasing a new one when Chris gets them in stock.

Regards
    Mal

I have the Expobar Leva and its still going like new after 9 months.

Make about 30 coffees a week at most.

I started off cleaning weekly and then, considering the fairly light uage, cut back to fortnightly.
    I have been considering going back to weekly after noticing how much coffee oil is accumulating in the PF but for the moment and washing it with dishwashing liquid and continuing with the fornightly cafetto clean on the machine.

I use the standard scoop amount as per the instructions.

When cleaning my La Cimbali (yeah I know its not the same as the Giotto) I always use a full scoop and follow the instructions provided on the Cafetto.

I never have any undissolved Cafetto in the blind PF after the last flush (and I cant see why that would be different for any machine). Maybe a smaller quantity doesnt froth up enough.... and so doesnt completely dissolve.

Re cleaning PF and baskets..... advice from the professional machine coffee course....

No need to soak in cleaner..... buy a scourer pad.... cut into 2cm strips.... and use to clean the inside of the PF and the baskets at the end of each day..... no detergent (of any sort) required - just running water.... (the same can be done to the shower screen from time to time - if removable)

Works perfectly and no evil coffee oils left lurking. :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1174127590/0#8 date=1175831193
    When cleaning my La Cimbali (yeah I know its not the same as the Giotto) I always use a full scoop and follow the instructions provided on the Cafetto.

I never have any undissolved Cafetto in the blind PF after the last flush (and I cant see why that would be different for any machine). Maybe a smaller quantity doesnt froth up enough.... and so doesnt completely dissolve.

Re cleaning PF and baskets..... advice from the professional machine coffee course....

No need to soak in cleaner..... buy a scourer pad.... cut into 2cm strips.... and use to clean the inside of the PF and the baskets at the end of each day..... no detergent (of any sort) required - just running water.... (the same can be done to the shower screen from time to time - if removable)

Works perfectly and no evil coffee oils left lurking. :)
    Overkill I reckon JavaB....a little bit goes a long way ;)... Even in the cafe/s we found that 1/2 measure (daily in that case) was plenty and the gunk coming out the 3-way was clean at the end of the operation....

A full scoop does froth up quite a lot.
    Ill try a 1/2 scoop next time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1174127590/0#9 date=1175833225

Overkill I reckon JavaB....a little bit goes a long way ;)... Even in the cafe/s we found that 1/2 measure (daily in that case) was plenty and the gunk coming out the 3-way was clean at the end of the operation....
    Thanks Chris.... Ill give 1/2 a scoop a try (mind you its pretty cheap stuff so the cost isnt really a concern)

Unlike the Sunbeam tablets...... I think I can afford to waste some ;)